• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF?!? Problem in secondary from a stupid little belt change

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
for you guys with stock clutching on the '13s, which springs do you have? what color and part # on the primary and the same for the secondary?

thanks

Have a '12 & '13 sitting side by side in the garage. Springs are the same, no change.

2012-10-26_22-37-26_851.jpg

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Have a '12 & '13 sitting side by side in the garage. Springs are the same, no change.

2012-10-26_22-37-26_851.jpg

good to know. I thought mine had the wrong primary spring. according to the cat tech session link that was floating around, the primary was supposed to have a new spring with a lower engagement rpm.
what is the date on your primary? mine is 3-30-12. the secondary date is 9-28-12.
also, my tool bag did not have the big washer in it. did yours?

thanks

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Wash those new belts and clutches in warm soapy water..............they last a lot longer.......:face-icon-small-win

I didn't get the washer either but the bolt looks to be longer as I didn't need a washer, just flipped the spacer over like previous years

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Wash those new belts and clutches in warm soapy water..............they last a lot longer.......:face-icon-small-win

I didn't get the washer either but the bolt looks to be longer as I didn't need a washer, just flipped the spacer over like previous years

i tried that, my bolt will not engage the threads on the jackshaft.... also, my bolt has the slightest bend in it.... tried to find a new one yesterday, but I guess it is a dealer only item

is everybody else's primary spring the same as last year?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
You have to take the 2 washers off the bolt then mine worked fine!

M
Nov 27, 2007
You have to take the 2 washers off the bolt then mine worked fine!

I took the flat and lock washer off the bolt and it wouldn't reach the threads on my '13 800 HC. I ended up just using a fender washer and a spacer and it worked, but will need to figure out a permanent solution before the snow flies.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I took the flat and lock washer off the bolt and it wouldn't reach the threads on my '13 800 HC. I ended up just using a fender washer and a spacer and it worked, but will need to figure out a permanent solution before the snow flies.

same here. off to the dealer

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Keeger123,
The bad rep you gave me for insulting you is well worth it and maybe you will thank me later.
Something that simple is ridiculous, that is so basic! Sometimes if you stop and think about it it makes perfect sense, what would you do if your on the mtn, wait for cell service so you can SW a question.
Some of you need to use a little more sense, and if you take offense to that, good, it will help you remember next time. I'm only saying it for your benefit. If you want to bad rep me, thats fine, just think it will save you in the long run.

B
Oct 13, 2012
S.E. SK
Keeger123,
The bad rep you gave me for insulting you is well worth it and maybe you will thank me later.
Something that simple is ridiculous, that is so basic! Sometimes if you stop and think about it it makes perfect sense, what would you do if your on the mtn, wait for cell service so you can SW a question.
Some of you need to use a little more sense, and if you take offense to that, good, it will help you remember next time. I'm only saying it for your benefit. If you want to bad rep me, thats fine, just think it will save you in the long run.

I was bad repping u for your rude and unnessessary reply to MY thread. I'm a tuning/proclimb rookie, looking for input from seasoned vets, which I was already given prior to your post. I don't have friends with new machines, especially procross/climbs, and know even less that give a dam, so no one to show me, anything...

Changed belts on 4 other machines in my life, never encountered this. Told my dealer the problem, there only suggestion was to trailer it down, but didn't want to run it like that, and didn't want to take it in just for that.

If you're just going to cut-down people and call them special olympians when they ask a question, expect more bad reps in the future. Seeing how this is one of the most replied-to posts in the Proclimb forum, people were more than willing to give their 2 cents and help

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I was bad repping u for your rude and unnessessary reply to MY thread. I'm a tuning/proclimb rookie, looking for input from seasoned vets, which I was already given prior to your post. I don't have friends with new machines, especially procross/climbs, and know even less that give a dam, so no one to show me, anything...

Changed belts on 4 other machines in my life, never encountered this. Told my dealer the problem, there only suggestion was to trailer it down, but didn't want to run it like that, and didn't want to take it in just for that.

If you're just going to cut-down people and call them special olympians when they ask a question, expect more bad reps in the future. Seeing how this is one of the most replied-to posts in the Proclimb forum, people were more than willing to give their 2 cents and help

So you come on here wanting help then you bad rep one of the guys that is most likely to help, so tell me this do want help or a pat on the back. I may not present it the way you like with a pat on the back and a "here you go scooter" so if your going to get butt hurt just let me know now. Or if you want the truth and information no matter how it comes (cut through the BS) I can help.

I intentionally made it a point to embarrass you, your problem is less than rookie or newbie, its flat out simple, : look, think, try a few things carefully,,,,

Lets go through the progression

OK, something is not right here, so, take the belt back off.
Try to release clutch (It would have then collapsed,)
So that tells you it only does it with the belt on????
That means it must be the belt,
If its the belt it means the belt is causing it to hang up,
Ok so put the belt back on,
it did it again, but if its hanging up I'll just rotate the belt or clutch or track. So do that and "BAM" Looky there....... Perfect.

Its almost like having the choice of a broom and rake to sweep a floor and not knowing which to use, lets go ask instead of trying each first.

BTW, ultimately, I posted a video that more than answers ??? and helps with other things, so do you want the help or not. I'm fine with rep, I'll be that guy.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
well after the rum is gone im going to sweep the shop floor with a rake while waiting for both my clutches and a belt to finish the rinse cycle!

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
No need to remove the belt but many recommend proper seasoning across the temperature range the sled will see during the course of a normal season. Naturally, after taking a belt that has just seen 90+ degree water in the dishwasher, one can't just put it on a sled that's below freezing without the belt exploding. Many have speculated this is the cause for all the 2012 issues.

Thus, for proper conditioning of the belt, move the dishwasher outdoors. Important Note: It's too early in the season in many parts of the country, wait until the snow pack is permanent before trying this at home.

dishwasher-in-the-snow.jpg

Premium Features