• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who makes the lightest Shovel?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Trying to get as much weight as possible out of my pack for next year, and was wondering who makes the lightest shovel on the market with a metal scoop. The plastic ones are worthless.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I did a bit of research on this a few years back, when I was looking for a new shovel. I ended up with the common, and very inexpensive, Lifeline shovel. I bought a 2 pack for like $40 ($20 each). They're available just about everywhere. Google search for "lifeline shovel".

I just so happened to have the shovel near me, so I weighed it for you. One pound, 3 ounces. I don't use the shovel a lot, but I have used it several times and it works well. Solid construction. Save your money.

lifeline.jpg

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
I keep the BCA B-1 ext in my backpack and strap the BCA dozer in the tunnel bag. the b-1 weighs 1.3 pounds has an extendable handle and has the strong welded tube neck so it won't break like the cheaper ones will.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I did a bit of research on this a few years back, when I was looking for a new shovel. I ended up with the common, and very inexpensive, Lifeline shovel. I bought a 2 pack for like $40 ($20 each). They're available just about everywhere. Google search for "lifeline shovel".

I just so happened to have the shovel near me, so I weighed it for you. One pound, 3 ounces. I don't use the shovel a lot, but I have used it several times and it works well. Solid construction. Save your money.

I got a pair of these for my kids. Read some stuff about them not being tough. Not suited for real shoveling. No they're not as HD as the purpose built Shovels but they're pretty strong and one of them has shoveled gravel, dirt etc.

They do weigh less than my Hmk and bca shovels now that I think about it.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Trying to get as much weight as possible out of my pack for next year, and was wondering who makes the lightest shovel on the market with a metal scoop. The plastic ones are worthless.

The lightest shovel will not necessarily be the best. If your going to carry a tool, carry a tool that will get the job done correctly. Having a light shovel may seem nice, but if you need to use it and it breaks, then what?
The BCA versions are strategically built for this market, and for avalanche rescue. All of them are similar in weight and do not vary enough to really tell a difference, other than the models with saws in the handle.Hope this helps out a bit, if you have any technical questions we would be happy to answer them!

BCA SHOVELS <<<<<<<<<<

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have a LifeLine I keep in the truck. The blade is garbage, no way in hell can it be considered an avy shovel. It will fail rapidly in most avy debris. Please, do not skimp on the shovel. Mine folds up just about every time I actually need to use it... Might be fine for digging a sled out of fluff, but that's about it.

Premium Features