• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who builds single sled decks

C
Dec 14, 2020
I curious as to why you would bother building something to sit in the bed? Why not just use a ramp and load the sled into the bed of the truck? I get it if you have a silly little truck but the answer to that is to own a full sized truck... I have been hauling my sled in the bed for years and never felt the need to build a bunch of junk because I couldn't figure out how to just use a ramp. Even when I had the Raptor with the 5.5 ft bed I still didn't have any problem loading and hauling my sled without the need for an in bed sled deck. Just seems redundant.

My carbides were destroying my bed liner.

I threw down a few 2x8's with a sheet of 3/4 plywood to keep from destroying the bed floor. Also gives me a place to slide the ramps in rather than having to strap them or listen to them flop all over in the bed.

But I'll agree with you on real trucks. Crew cabs with 8' beds are the way to go. I have 3 now.

S

saurus

Nov 1, 2014
Canada
i have a single in bed deck from north cascade sled decks near Seattle. it has worked well for 7+ years, light weight too - I can pick it up myself and install it.

T

thriller

Feb 28, 2021
SE British Columbia
Recramp makes a single "deck" that folds and hides in the back of your truck when not in use. I had him build me a custom one last year that tucked under my Retrax bed cover on the front and still had enough length for my 174 in the back of my 6.5' bed F-150.

do you have one of the earlier versions that were made with 1x2 or the newer versions?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
do you have one of the earlier versions that were made with 1x2 or the newer versions?

Mine was made a year ago but kind of a custom version. It was made to hold a 174 in a 6.5' bed but with an extra 13" of ramp in the front to tuck under my Retrax cover and still rest at the front of the bed. So mine was made completely out of the 1x2 tubing at my request. Since most of my trips are long range (650 miles round trip to the cabin and 3,000 miles round trip to BC) I wanted it beefed up a little. I have about 5,000 miles on this setup so far and have no complains. Even with the long sled it's easy to pick up and roll into the bed. The wheels on it are large and even clear my 5th wheel rails in the bed. Once in the bed I have some retractable ratchet straps I anchor it down with. And when not in use it folds in half and I can lock it away under my bed cover. Works great for my use.

I wanted the Rec Ramp to be fully under the sled once loaded.
1.jpg

But as you can see when it's loaded it sits back about 13" from the top of the Rec Ramp. This is the area the tucks under my Retrax cover.
3.jpg

I had him leave off the lights he normally does and I added my own custom marker / turn / break lights that plug into my 5th wheel light plug in the bed. Since this sits out of the bed so far I wanted the added lights on it.
5.jpg
6.jpg

This shows the front of the ramp tucked under my Retrax cover and why I had the extra length added.
7.jpg

T

thriller

Feb 28, 2021
SE British Columbia
Awesome, thank you for the pictures and description. Is there a way to direct message you on this forum with some really specific questions?
Mine was made a year ago but kind of a custom version. It was made to hold a 174 in a 6.5' bed but with an extra 13" of ramp in the front to tuck under my Retrax cover and still rest at the front of the bed. So mine was made completely out of the 1x2 tubing at my request. Since most of my trips are long range (650 miles round trip to the cabin and 3,000 miles round trip to BC) I wanted it beefed up a little. I have about 5,000 miles on this setup so far and have no complains. Even with the long sled it's easy to pick up and roll into the bed. The wheels on it are large and even clear my 5th wheel rails in the bed. Once in the bed I have some retractable ratchet straps I anchor it down with. And when not in use it folds in half and I can lock it away under my bed cover. Works great for my use.

View attachment 397894

But as you can see when it's loaded it sits back about 13" from the top of the Rec Ramp. This is the area the tucks under my Retrax cover.
View attachment 397896

I had him leave off the lights he normally does and I added my own custom marker / turn / break lights that plug into my 5th wheel light plug in the bed. Since this sits out of the bed so far I wanted the added lights on it.
View attachment 397898
View attachment 397899

This shows the front of the ramp tucked under my Retrax cover and why I had the extra length added.
View attachment 397900

gun-driver

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2011
Thats wild, I’ve never seen a 5th wheel mount in a 150. What do you tow and do you run airbags?

T

thriller

Feb 28, 2021
SE British Columbia
Funny to see this pop up. I moved on to a recramp mostly due to the folding and overall weight/size. The recramp folds and is stored on its edge all summer in my garage.

Is your recramp stock size? I am just trying to figure out where the pivot point is best. Like the measurement between the 2 angle irons on the bottom and the distance to the center between where the two angle irons from the bottom of the upper part of the ramp?

C
Dec 14, 2020
Thats wild, I’ve never seen a 5th wheel mount in a 150. What do you tow and do you run airbags?

Lots of people do dumb things....

I've had the displeasure if driving such a contraption. Never again.

It doesn't matter if the truck will pull it. It matters if the suspension will handle it and make it stable.
Air bags will level it. They don't feel nearly as stable as springs.

I keep buying crew cab long boxes which only come in 250/350 chassis. I'll never go back.

Even if it's as little as a single sled in the back. I can't tell the difference in the 3500, I can feel it wallow in the back with the 1500.

T

thriller

Feb 28, 2021
SE British Columbia

View attachment 397894

View attachment 397896

View attachment 397898
View attachment 397899

View attachment 397900
you don't by chance have a picture of the underside, do you? Also how much flexing does it have with the 1x2" tubing?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

Just a small 5th wheel camper that weights about 6,500 lbs fully loaded on the scales. This truck has the max tow and max payload packages on it so its rated far above my little camper. It's actully rated for some pretty insane numbers when you option them up. But when you get towards the max ends of the payload and towing they seem to not have the truck weight for stability. But I do run Timbrens on all my trucks and higher load range tires for a little extra stability. No airbags here as MN road chemicals tend to eat the lines and I hang onto trucks.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lots of people do dumb things....

I've had the displeasure if driving such a contraption. Never again.

It doesn't matter if the truck will pull it. It matters if the suspension will handle it and make it stable.
Air bags will level it. They don't feel nearly as stable as springs.

I keep buying crew cab long boxes which only come in 250/350 chassis. I'll never go back.

Even if it's as little as a single sled in the back. I can't tell the difference in the 3500, I can feel it wallow in the back with the 1500.

You mean dumb things like make comments like this when you know nothing about the situation? LOL, people like you crack me up.

If towing a 6,500 lbs 5th wheel behind a half ton was too much for you I'm not sure I feel safe with you driving 3500's around. But if you tried this with a Chevy half ton I guess I don't blame you. I would not do it with one of those either.

But you do you buddy.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
you don't by chance have a picture of the underside, do you? Also how much flexing does it have with the 1x2" tubing?

I don't have any underside pictures, but it pretty much looks the same as the top just without the slides.

Very little flex, that's the reason we went with the 1x2 for the entire ramp. Since most of my trips are from MN to BC or Idaho every time it gets used its long miles.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Is your recramp stock size? I am just trying to figure out where the pivot point is best. Like the measurement between the 2 angle irons on the bottom and the distance to the center between where the two angle irons from the bottom of the upper part of the ramp?

A stock reck ramp is 116" long overall. Mine was built at 150" long overall. I would have to dig it out to get the location of the angles on it. I just let Andrew place those since he builds them and the location has worked out perfect.

C
Dec 14, 2020
You mean dumb things like make comments like this when you know nothing about the situation? LOL, people like you crack me up.

If towing a 6,500 lbs 5th wheel behind a half ton was too much for you I'm not sure I feel safe with you driving 3500's around. But if you tried this with a Chevy half ton I guess I don't blame you. I would not do it with one of those either.

But you do you buddy.

My old boss tried it. His f150 spit out the diff at 60k.

Semi-floating axles and tiny frames are not meant to carry heavy loads.

Of course, 6500 is tiny for a 5th. They usually run in the 12-20k range.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
My old boss tried it. His f150 spit out the diff at 60k.

Semi-floating axles and tiny frames are not meant to carry heavy loads.

Of course, 6500 is tiny for a 5th. They usually run in the 12-20k range.

Build sheet from your boss's F-150 please. (Just kidding but you know where I'm going with that). We both know a lot of people overload trucks. Discussion for another day. But I don't think any modern half ton on the market is going to have much issue loading 800lbs of sled and sled ramp into the back of it and rolling down the road safely.

Besides, just because a Ford is breaking things does not mean you overloaded it. I think we can all agree that build quality now a days is a crap shoot for all the brands. LOL

C
Dec 14, 2020
Build sheet from your boss's F-150 please. (Just kidding but you know where I'm going with that). We both know a lot of people overload trucks. Discussion for another day. But I don't think any modern half ton on the market is going to have much issue loading 800lbs of sled and sled ramp into the back of it and rolling down the road safely.

Besides, just because a Ford is breaking things does not mean you overloaded it. I think we can all agree that build quality now a days is a crap shoot for all the brands. LOL

I was only talking about towing a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton. The only thing a 1/2 ton is good for is hauling a single sled.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

If I see you in the parking lot, I’m gonna give you a taste of Minnesota in yer face.

But you do you buddy.
Thems fighting words.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Overloading trucks nowadays has a worse outcome than decades past.
Fiat Ram should be embarrassed!
And so should Eagle Cap. Its obvious the center of gravity on the camper is not in front of the axle like it should be.

1,000lbs in the back of a halfton shouldn't be a problem. Even 1,500-2k should be ok for a short trip with the load evenly distributed.

These are some nice single decks.
5df6950eed01356d39dc0b1eb7290bdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Premium Features