• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tra ramp mod??

Beauford t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mara B.C.
If a guy was running 2mm over size rollers, could he grind 1mm off the heal of the ramps where they rest on the clicker pin?
The idea being that the big rollers lengthen the overall arm assembly, and you end up using alot less of the ramp face to get full shift out.
Example, clicker 3(with big rollers) would only be throwing the arms out as far as they would be when on clicker 5(with stock rollers).
Grinding the ramp heal should bring the shift back closer to stock? YES/NO?
Any one try this?

G
Nov 27, 2007
Smithers BC
Each clicker gives about .5mm of adjustment so I say your right by taking off 1 mm off the ramp heel to compensate for the 1mm longer roller arm assy. Next question is-how hard to grind through the ramp hard surfacing?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The effect would be less at the beginning of shift, more at the end where the material is removed....IMO clicking down a couple numbers would give the same results as trimming the ramp where it contacts the cam-bolt.

Beauford t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mara B.C.
sure, you can pull weight and add spring to get clicker position, but no mater what when on even say clicker 1 the arms cant climb up the ramp near as far with the long arm assm.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I guess I don't understand the question....roller diameter doesn't make the arm any longer, only the center point of the roller makes contact and that is always the same regardless of roller diameter. Bigger rollers just put a little different angle on the arm and add 1-2g of weight.

B
Nov 26, 2007
The centerline of the pin hasnt moved so the length of the arm hasnt changed. The angle/distance relative to the pin CL and the ramp has with o/s rollers...

Scratching my head too....

G
Nov 27, 2007
Smithers BC
One end of the arm is attached to the moveable sheave the other end has the roller that rides on the ramp. A 2mm oversize roller would lengthen the total arm assy. by 1mm correct?

B
Nov 26, 2007
That only works if very end of the arm was against the ramp...if you drew a centerline thru the arm pivot thru the arm to the pin & roller and beyond- then yes the arm is longer. But that part of the roller isnt contacting the ramp. That would imply the arm is always fully extended from its pivot point at all times. I dont think it ever gets to that point in any condition. At that point the arm has zero leverage against the ramp.

Beauford t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mara B.C.
That only works if very end of the arm was against the ramp...if you drew a centerline thru the arm pivot thru the arm to the pin & roller and beyond- then yes the arm is longer. But that part of the roller isnt contacting the ramp. That would imply the arm is always fully extended from its pivot point at all times. I dont think it ever gets to that point in any condition. At that point the arm has zero leverage against the ramp.

Good stuff, point well taken, but even if the contact point of the roller was 90' from the centerline of the arm, the 2mm larger roller would be holding the arm and weight 1mm closer to the center of the clutch, or should I say making the shift act like 2 clicker higher in #?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Exactly...that's why I had my first response of just clicking down a notch or two...same as grinding a little off the ramp heel. The oversize rollers give a little more of "revvy" feel, similar to clicking UP. I've never quite seen the advantage of them, at least in the hills.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Good stuff, point well taken, but even if the contact point of the roller was 90' from the centerline of the arm, the 2mm larger roller would be holding the arm and weight 1mm closer to the center of the clutch, or should I say making the shift act like 2 clicker higher in #?

Its been awhile since I tinkered with o/s rollers...but IIRC that was the advantage of the bigger rollers. It kept the arm closer to the clutch c/l which gave more leverage....I ran 1mm o/s on my 670 and honestly couldnt tell much if any difference between that and the stock set-up.

So I think the question has been answered that you can either grind the heel it sits/rides against or change the clicker pos...

B
Nov 26, 2007
Would you not achieve more top end speed (theoretically)? The clutch would shift farther out when the roller gets near full shift. This is assuming the faces don't touch. If the length at 90* is the same, and the length at 180*(unatainable) is 1mm longer then at 45* you would gain approx .5mm .
May not mean much to mountain guys but could mean 1-2 mph for flatland speed.

Premium Features