• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled: A hillclimbing must!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Lol, thanks for the video guys! Yeah, that sled had a problem with transfer. Im sure if I had a Timbersled skid that would have been a different story.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I have now experience with either one. But just looking at them I like the looks of the infinite adjust coupler on the Timbersled better. Unless I am missing something on the Kmod pictures.
They both look high quality.

Why not throw EZ-Ryde in the mix seeing how we are comparing suspensions. One of my buds has a boondocker turbo with an EZ-Ryde. Rode it last weekend and the suspension is so nice.

Last edited:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
All mentioned skids(Timbersled, kmod, and ezryde) work very well for certain applications. Go to a rmsha hillclimb event and ezryde is the dominant skid. I have heard and know of many people that are very happy with their kmod for climbing in the backcountry. I have personally owned 3 generations of Timbersled skids and ran a variety of shock packages. I am confident in saying that the Timbersled with EXIT shocks is the most well rounded backcountry/boondocking rear suspension available. It works very well for controlling big horsepower on big climbs(as Oberti has used the thread to showcase), handles bumps very well, has a playful characteristic for boondocking that stands out over the other options, and can safely hold up to the biggest of jumps and drops that a rider can throw at it. That wide range of versitilaty is why it is my choice. Like Phatty said, we're always happy to let anyone ride our sleds and form their own opinion. I have seen prototypes of a few of these brands of what will soon be available. AWESOME! Good performing products and competition are good for us, the consumer. See ya on the snow!

Last edited:
J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
I have only ridden stocks skids, but from this thread, I would go with what your or mine wallet could handle.
I dont think you can make a wrong decision on part A B C

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Not a sponsored rider. Just like to ride so sno X is just as much fun to me as crawling in the trees. Ski's above my head is just as much fun as on the snow and in control. Depends on my mood and need lol. Have to watch my budget too lol.

10 years ago, for a couple of years, I bought aftermarket suspensions and parts. they definitely worked better but in the end I broke them all (sometimes it really hurt lol) and returned to stock just to ride.
Learning curve for sure, expensive too. For those reasons I made do the best I could with stock for a long time.

After a week on my new Pro I realized that Poo had done a darn good job on this style of suspension out of the box. I also knew I was going to keep this sled for more than 1 year 'cause it worked that good. Snow isn't going to change so I decided to invest in the future.
Looked, talked, touched, phoned and read between the lines on all three and took the season to think it out. Even had short rides on two of the ones mentioned above. All 3 are quality stuff IMO. 2 suggested to me to stick with coil-overs from there experiences.

Each one of them has a strong point-focus over the other IMO. 2 are tougher IMO. One is more focused on one aspect than the other two IMO.

For my needs-desire for versatility, durability, tunability and affordability the TS rear arm kit with a basic EVO3 met those needs better than the others. It`s been all that I expected and more. Enough so that my 3 yr plan has became a "I'll need to ride it to believe it plan" lol.

Very happy with the TS rear arm kit.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Matt made some great points and i have personally watched him, Phatty and Dan Gardiner drop some huge cliffs and the suspension holds up time after time. But arguably the coolest thing is still the adjustability. It's hard to have a skid that works well on the trail, boondocking and hillclimbing. But with the turn of a knob you can accomplish this with Timbersled Mtn Tamer

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
If I was sponsored by Timbersled are Kmod I would say it's the best to.:face-icon-small-hap

I don't know about you, but I refuse to represent a company I don't believe in. Some companies give out copious amounts of free stuff to any kid willing to post on facebook about how great it is. Short term spikes in sales eventual wane and the quality and useability of the product (or lack there of) speaks for itself. Timbersled is not one of those companies. It has built its reputation over the years by putting out products that work really well and last year after year. I don't think anybody out there wants their name attached to some cheap product that doesn't work, I know I certainly don't.

I user timbersled skids because it provides the best quality and the best adjust-ability to my dynamic riding styles. That doesn't mean that Kmod or arc or other systems don't work or aren't quality. It simply means I believe and trust more in Timbersled and that it works best for me, and I believe it can work really well for you (and everybody else) as well. I could go else where if I wanted and run other products, but I choose to remain with Timbersled because it works very well for me and my riding style. And I like to promote products that work and people can benefit from :face-icon-small-coo

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Thumbs up for Timbersled. Bark Buster up front and Mountain Tamer skid. (No sponsorship here) With the Fox shocks and Mountain Tamer it is very easy to adjust to the terrain and riding style preference. My skill level is far from these other guys but I really enjoy this setup! :face-icon-small-coo

IMG_0055.jpg

MTN Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2009
Smithers B.C.
GEO, was it personal preference to to go with the fox shocks instead of the spring shock?
Just been batting around the idea of doing the same as you for the rear suspension.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
It was in my budget lol. True lol, but not my bottom line by any means.

Rode the same valving stack (according to TS) last year in a full TS skid and really liked it even before personal set-up. Worked good with the rising rate rear arm. Had a weight goal in mind. Had a snow sticking goal in mind. Wanted to KISS and not play with triple rates and someone else's selection of rates and cross over points. Figured if it was bad I would do some dialing in the stack to make it right. Haven't needed to.

It is a VERY good shock and too easy to set for yourself (the most important thing IMO).
Ride height then bottoming. That's it, as it should be.

I'll say I was never a fan of air's (1 or 2). My complaint was always the low and mid speed stroke being compromised (not lively) making a narrow sweet spot (not using the travel consistently) especially at mountain pressures. That's comfort and control over varying terrain.
Used different valves, stacks, kits, canisters and EVO upgrades because Cat's came with air's but always returned to springs. The EVO 3's don't have this issue. At all.

I've got these plain old EVO 3 on three corners and couldn't be happier. Like I said, their just to easy to set up for yourself (weight and speed) and just work. What more could I ask for lol.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I don't know about you, but I refuse to represent a company I don't believe in. Some companies give out copious amounts of free stuff to any kid willing to post on facebook about how great it is. Short term spikes in sales eventual wane and the quality and useability of the product (or lack there of) speaks for itself. Timbersled is not one of those companies. It has built its reputation over the years by putting out products that work really well and last year after year. I don't think anybody out there wants their name attached to some cheap product that doesn't work, I know I certainly don't.

I user timbersled skids because it provides the best quality and the best adjust-ability to my dynamic riding styles. That doesn't mean that Kmod or arc or other systems don't work or aren't quality. It simply means I believe and trust more in Timbersled and that it works best for me, and I believe it can work really well for you (and everybody else) as well. I could go else where if I wanted and run other products, but I choose to remain with Timbersled because it works very well for me and my riding style. And I like to promote products that work and people can benefit from :face-icon-small-coo

I'm with Phatty on this one. I only put the parts on my sled that I feel are the very best(regardless if I am given them at a discount or not). I only seek sponsors from the companies whose product I WANT to run. If I had to pay full price next year for my new sled, it would have EXACTLY every single part it did last year. And the same is true of my riding gear :)

Premium Features