• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

There goes western Montana - thanks for nothing Senator Tester

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Some of the details are finally coming out with the announcment today of Senator Tester's new bill titled "Forest Jobs and Stewardship Bill", and it isn't pretty at all for snowmobilers in western Montana.

Dave

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/07/17/top/49st_090717_tester.txt

Tester announces plans for wilderness, recreation, timber

By JENNIFER McKEE - IR State Bureau - 07/17/09

TOWNSEND n U.S. Sen. Jon Tester came to a small timber mill here this afternoon to announce plans to set aside 677,000 acres of Montana wilderness, designate a new national recreation area and create partnerships with timber companies to clean up thousands of overgrown acres.

Calling it his “forest jobs and stewardship bill,” Tester’s effort is the first to designate new wilderness areas in Montana in a generation. Critics say it was crafted “in secret,” although Tester’s office and others say the bill is the result of two years of Montanans’ input.

The Democratic senator’s bill deals with three western Montana forests: the Beaverhead-Deerlodge, the Kootenai and the Lolo national forests.

Federal law restricts activities in formal wilderness areas, which are to be managed in a wild state free from motorized recreation, logging, bicycles — even chainsaws to maintain trails.

Tester’s bill would create 677,000 acres of new wilderness, mostly on Forest Service lands. Most of the new wilderness would be in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest.

It would create a Big Hole National Recreation Area, which is not a wilderness area but a protected land for recreation in southwest Montana.

But it would also exempt certain roads from wilderness so they can retain their traditional use by mountain bikers and motorized four-wheelers.

It also releases about 76,000 acres of Bureau of Land Management lands currently treated like wilderness, while formally designating about 59,000 acres of BLM lands as wilderness.

Importantly, said Bruce Farling, executive director of Montana Trout Unlimited, one of the groups involved in the bill, it creates a new kind of relationship between timber companies and the Forest Service.

The bill mandates that timber harvests will take place on at least 7,000 acres of the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest every year for ten years. That, according to Tester’s office, gives certainty to area timber mills that logs will be available to them.

Farling said these timber contracts, however, won’t work like old ones. Instead of companies bidding for logs and cutting them down, Tester’s bill would create stewardship contracts with companies. Under these contracts, Farling said, a timber company would bid not just for logs, but also to conduct other kinds of necessary forest improvements, like fixing washed out culverts damaging trout streams. Such work would only happen on previously disturbed lands.

Ed Regan, resource manager for RY Timber, a company with mills in Townsend and Livingston, said the kinds of timber harvests the bill envisions are also not like traditional logging.

Because so much of Montana’s southwestern forests are in the epicenter of an historic pine bark beetle epidemic, a lot of what Regan envisions are thinning projects to both remove dead trees and give the surviving trees a chance to fend off the beetles on their own.

Regan said the harvests called for in Tester’s bill include thinning projects that remove smaller trees to be used in a bio-mass generator or rendered into pulp for cardboard boxes. He also said many beetle-killed trees will have to go and those trees have commercial value.

“Right now, about 90 percent of the logs we (process) are beetle kill,” Regan said.

Farling said Tester’s bill created a new kind of partnership between groups like his who want to preserve resources and companies like Regan’s who rely on harvesting resources to stay in business. It’s a marriage, Farling said, that people have been looking for for a long time.

“There is a yearning for this type of approach out there,” he said. “People are really tired of the shouting.”

Although it was years in the making, Tester’s Friday announcement is only a first step in the process of becoming law and Regan said he thought any new wilderness areas, along with the new stewardship contracts are still years away.

“I think, ultimately, this is going to succeed,” he said. “I’ll go a step further. I think this will become a model that will be used nationwide for breaking gridlock in forest planning around the country.”

The bill doesn’t please everyone.

Paul Richards, a Boulder man who ran against Tester in the 2006 Democratic primary, has said Tester crafted the bill in secret and that it violates a promise Tester made him in May of 2006 when Richards agreed to endorse Tester late in the primary.

“If you look at the secrecy going on concerning this process, it’s really shameful,” he said.

Richards said Tester promised to protect all remaining roadless lands in Montana, but the bill announced this afternoon fails to do that.

“The Tester Logging Bill is a well-orchestrated and well-funded assault upon Montana’s roadless public lands,” Richards wrote in an analysis of the bill prepared this week.

Farling disputed the allegation that the bill was written in secret by a small group of insiders. He said many groups worked on the bill for years; they met with county commissioners in public meetings and several groups posted their involvement in process on their Web sites.

“It’s been very, very transparent,” he said.

The groups involved in working out the deal include the Montana Wilderness Association, Montana Wildlife Federation, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Wilderness Society, Troy Snowmobile Club, Pyramid Lumber in Seeley Lake, Roseburg Forest Products in Missoula, Sun Mountain Lumber in Deer Lodge and Kootenai Ridge Riders ATV Club.

Last edited:
Below I have copied another article on this new bill.

According to the article below, it sounds like the only snowmobile related input Tester received in return for their endorsement of this bill are the Lincoln County Snow Kats and the Troy Snowmobile Club - both only providing input on the Kootenai National Forest portion of the bill.

No snowmobile input on Beaverhead-National Forest and the Lolo National Forest portions of the bill, where most of the wilderness designation is coming from apparently.

"The bill sets aside special management areas for snowmobile riding and leaves thousands of miles of roads and motorized trails intact."

My interpretation of the above statement from the article below, is that they will allow snowmobilers to keep a few thousand acres of snowmobile off trail riding areas - that are currently already open for snowmobile use anyway - in return for closing hundreds of thousands of acres to snowmobile use that is also currently open. What a deal. And from the info in the first article I posted above, that is exactly what they did.

Dave

http://www.flyrodreel.com/node/12597

Montanans come together to support Forest Jobs and Recreation Act

Townsend, MT— Representatives of Montana timber mills, conservationists and sportsmen’s groups applauded the introduction of Sen. Jon Tester’s Forest Jobs and Recreation Act, calling it a bold new vision for providing jobs, while enhancing Montana’s clean water and outdoor heritage.

A broad coalition of Montanans, including Montana sawmills, business advocates, wilderness advocates, motorized riders and rod-and-gun clubs, voiced strong support for the legislation.

“Montanans share one thing in common— a passion for our national forests,” said legendary outfitter Smoke Elser, of Missoula. “This bill means a new day for Montana working families and our freedom to hunt, fish and enjoy the backcountry.”

Senator Tester’s bill is based on local, community-driven stewardship packages developed over several years across Montana. Specifically, it brings together plans for the Beaverhead-Deerlodge and Lolo National Forests and the Yaak Valley of the Kootenai National Forest.

By focusing on light-on-the-land logging, protecting Montana’s clean water, spectacular backcountry, and prime wildlife habitat, and protecting access, the bill has earned high marks from Montana conservationists, loggers, sportsmen, horsemen, mountain bikers, snowmobilers and ATV-enthusiasts.

“Montanans believe we can both use and take care of our forests,” said Sherm Anderson, of Sun Mountain Timber in Deer Lodge. “This bill gives us the tools we need to manage the forest, to restore healthy conditions and better protect communities from wildfire.”

The bill is supported by a host of sportsmen’s groups and rod-and-gun clubs for both enhancing and protecting habitat.

“Our state’s hunting and fishing traditions absolutely depend on public access, clean water and healthy habitats,” said Chris Marchion, past president of the Montana Wildlife Federation. “By conserving these habitats, we will protect and preserve these traditions for our kids and grandkids.”

The bill sets aside special management areas for snowmobile riding and leaves thousands of miles of roads and motorized trails intact. The bill would also protect special places as wilderness areas, including Roderick Mountain in the Yaak, Monture Creek headwaters near Ovando, and Italian Peaks and the Pioneer Mountains in Southwestern Montana.

The following groups helped develop each of the three components of the bill over several years of community meetings:

• On the Lolo National Forest, Blackfoot-Clearwater Stewardship Project. Pyramid Mountain Lumber; Clearwater Resource Council; Montana Wilderness Association; The Wilderness Society; Montana Community Development Corp.

• On the Beaverhead-National Forest, Beaverhead-Deerlodge Partnership: Sun Mountain Timber; R-Y Lumber; Smurfit-Stone Container; Pyramid Mountain Lumber; Roseburg Forest Products; Montana Wilderness Association; Montana Trout Unlimited; National Wildlife Federation.

• On the Kootenai National Forest, the Three Rivers District (Yaak). Linehan Outfitters; Kurt Rayson, Rayson Logging; Lincoln County Snow Kats; Kootenai Ridge Riders ATV Club; Yaak Valley Forest Council, Troy Snowmobile Club.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
So does this bill eliminate the need for Environmental Analysis on the forest land identified for timber harvest?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
So when are we going to start this "civil disobedience" movement and start riding the wilderness in protest? Cause soon that's all we are going to have left.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
So when are we going to start this "civil disobedience" movement and start riding the wilderness in protest? Cause soon that's all we are going to have left.

Easy to say but how many will actually do it. Most people are too chicken to try something illegal, even if it's fighting for something you love.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana

Let me know brother, i will come ride with you! Idk about you, but i would like to see those pine pigs keep up with me. :mad:

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
You and I both know we could out run any of those law enforcement folk, but we'll never out run the radio...or airplane! If you're going to ride in the wilderness great! Just don't get caught! It gives the greenies more "Examples". With Mr. Judge Malloy down in Missoula us outdoor recreationists that enjoy anything except x-country skiing and smoking dope don't stand a chance to this wilderness movement!

Impeach Malloy!!!!:mad:

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho

I already do. A lot of people I ride with get piseed at me but most don't. It's not their land to close. It's all of ours to share. I'll never quit riding it

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I was just reading about this crap in the local paper today.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've pretty well come to loathe the word "conservationist" as much as the word "environmentalist".

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
What the hell is amatter with Montana's state snowmobile association. Someone with some backbone, needs to take it back over and stand up and be heard.

I just looked at their webpage and zip, nothing, zero. Do they even care, or are they on the other side already?

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
What the hell is amatter with Montana's state snowmobile association. Someone with some backbone, needs to take it back over and stand up and be heard.

I just looked at their webpage and zip, nothing, zero. Do they even care, or are they on the other side already?

I 100% agree, these types of bills to regulate land access are going to keep passing if there is no effort from the state's snowmobile associate to at least put some pressure against it. If you sit back and think this is going away you are in for a long 4 years of Democratic Greenie rule in this country.

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I'd give up a few acres of riding to try and help out the montana timber industry and to combat the pine bark beetle epidemic.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I'd give up a few acres of riding to try and help out the montana timber industry and to combat the pine bark beetle epidemic.

What????? What does snowmobiling have to do with forest products? Why are those two even connected? I didn't know holding land ransom, was an ethical use of government power. That makes no sense. Let the hikers give up some land, to help the timber industry. Compromise your rights away if you want. You can drive to Idaho and ride, where we still have some timber and sledding left, and a state snowmobile association that doesn't fold to pressure.

This bill is terrible

bill number out yet so I can write my reps?

No bill number yet. It might take a week or two. You do not have to wait for the bill number though. You can still write your two US Senators now and refer to this as the "Forest Jobs and Recreation Act recently introduced by MT Senator Jon Tester. Then follow-up later with another letter after the bill number is out and after we learn more details.

Here is the press release from Sen. Tester's office:
http://tester.senate.gov/Newsroom/pr_071709_forestbill.cfm

Here is the informational email that SAWS sent out Saturday July 17 to our members:
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/..._Announces_Forest_Jobs_and_Recreation_Act.htm

As mentioned in our SAWS email from July 18:

Not only does this bill contain 677,000 acres of new wilderness, but there are six so-called Recreation/Protection Areas. How is snowmobile use treated in these areas? No off trail riding in most of these areas, except for possibly in the ‘‘NW Peaks Snowmobile Area’’ and the ‘‘Mount Henry Snowmobile Area’’, both of which are contained within the “Three River Special Management Area”. Exact size and details of these two areas are unknown at this time. The language of this bill also states that snowmobile trail riding is allowed "only on those established trails and routes existing as of the date of enactment of this Act, on which motorized travel was permitted as of that date". This means the total acreage of the so-called “recreation areas” designated in this bill mean absolutely nothing, since you must remain on pre-established trails. No where in this bill did I see any claim as to how many miles of "established trails and routes" currently exist.​

Total acreage contained in the six Recreation/Protection Areas is 336,205 from my calculations. And since most of these acres will be "trail riding only - no off-road use", I would consider this bill to be about one million acres of basically closed areas to snowmobile use. A pretty disgusting "Recreation Act".

And don't forget, if there are any Recommended Wilderness Areas from the Forest Plan Revisions that affect these same three forests (BDNF, LNF and KNF), and that fall outside of the closed areas proposed in this bill, those areas will also be treated as de-facto wilderness and closed to snowmobile use, so the total closed acreage is probably much larger than the figures in this bill.

SAWS will be following up soon with a SAWS Alert about this issue that we will send out to our members when we learn more of the facts.

SAWS Strongly Opposes this bill!!! :mad:

Premium Features