• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The truth about the Attack 20 track

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Ok I'm seeing new 153" attack 20 tracks for $250. Are they truly not worth the money? I've never ridden one but tempted at this price.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Bought a new sled with one on it. Ran it forwarded one trip, hated it. Turned it backwards for one trip and hated it, then straighten it and ran it also hated it. Took it off, sold it and bought a 2.5 challenger and liked it a lot, still running it. Wouldn't waist my time on another A20.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Depends on your snow. Here in Wa where it is wet, heavy and hard I have seen them work really well as long as you start them off in the hill climb position. In the powder they can be a bit of a trencher. I would not hesitate to put a NEW one on my sled. They are a little fast going down hill though.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
There have been lots of threads about the A20. If you do a search you can read about them. I personally LOVE the A20. Most people hate them because it is NOT an all around good track. In powder position (which is the way they came on sleds in '05 & '06) they are AWESOME in deep fluffy powder. Most of the time when climbing a hill I can climb further in the fluff than I can in someone else's track. That is how good they work in light fluffy powder. If the snow is hardpack or icy, in powder position they can be down right scary if you don't know how to ride with one. They will spin like crazy and not grab. I've seen people start at the bottom of a hill on hardpack, gas it and get half way up the hill and come to a stop and start going back down backwards while the track is still spinning. Not a good situation and this is why most people hate them. If you turn the track around backwards (in hillclimb position), then in hardpack they will rip your arms off they hook up so good and you'll throw a roost 30' behind you. The drawback is braking on a downhill the track will want to go sideways if you're not careful and they simply don't brake well to begin with (again only in hillclimb position on hardpack or ice). If you're in hillclimb position in deep fluffy powder, they will trench to china. I keep mine in powder position all the time and have learned what to expect on hardpack so it doesn't concern me. The key is to have plenty of momentum BEFORE you start climbing a hill while on hardpack and then you won't loose traction and start going down the hill backwards. In a nutshell, if you want a track that is good in all conditions, it is not the track for you. If you are willing to give up having a great track in all conditions to have a track that is really good in the powder, this is a good track for you. The powerclaw is a MUCH better all around track and is probably as good or almost as good as the A20 in the powder, but it is much more $.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
What mjunkie said is a pretty good analysis of the A20. He listed all the reasons why i really didn't like the track. I had 3-4 trips on a new one before i got rid of it. Just never really hookup and in the right conditions you could loose a sled because of that. I was running the 162 version under a warmed up 900. I simply may not have hit the right conditions for the track to shine. But i'll never run another one.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Buy a powerclaw, they are really cheapnow that the 2.6 came out

the A20 is dog chit in comparison, i know where u can get a 162" PC with 500 miles for $200 . A20 is crap . save your $$$ and get a PC

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Install it backwards, ( hill climb position ) straighten the paddles and it is a great track. I would even go as far as to put a few 2 inch screws in the paddles. IF you can get them straight and keep them straight it would be a great all around track. Look at the new peak track. Basically a modified attack 20 to be a better all around track. If they made the peak in a 3.0 pitch I would run one in a heart beat.

Here is the tools I made for straightening the paddles.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
There have been lots of threads about the A20. If you do a search you can read about them. I personally LOVE the A20. Most people hate them because it is NOT an all around good track. In powder position (which is the way they came on sleds in '05 & '06) they are AWESOME in deep fluffy powder. Most of the time when climbing a hill I can climb further in the fluff than I can in someone else's track. That is how good they work in light fluffy powder. If the snow is hardpack or icy, in powder position they can be down right scary if you don't know how to ride with one. They will spin like crazy and not grab. I've seen people start at the bottom of a hill on hardpack, gas it and get half way up the hill and come to a stop and start going back down backwards while the track is still spinning. Not a good situation and this is why most people hate them. If you turn the track around backwards (in hillclimb position), then in hardpack they will rip your arms off (TRUE)they hook up so good and you'll throw a roost 30' behind you. (VERY TRUE)The drawback is braking on a downhill the track will want to go sideways if you're not careful and they simply don't brake well to begin with (again only in hillclimb position on hardpack or ice). If you're in hillclimb position in deep fluffy powder, they will trench to china. I keep mine in powder position all the time and have learned what to expect on hardpack so it doesn't concern me. The key is to have plenty of momentum BEFORE you start climbing a hill while on hardpack and then you won't loose traction and start going down the hill backwards. In a nutshell, if you want a track that is good in all conditions, it is not the track for you. If you are willing to give up having a great track in all conditions to have a track that is really good in the powder, this is a good track for you. The powerclaw is a MUCH better all around track and is probably as good or almost as good as the A20 in the powder, but it is much more $.

You won't have to worry about anyone following too close or try to pass you. The roost is closer to 60'! :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I bought an M7-141 with this track waaay back in.. I dunno, 2007? I turned the track around and all the thing did was trench. It was awful. I long-tracked the sled and went to a Challenger and it was a huge improvement.

BUT.. I'll agree that in powder position, it's amazing when the snow is deep and fluffy. But if you end up going down an icy hill, it's downright dangerous because you have no brakes. The bent-over lugs don't have anything to grip into.

Premium Features