• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

switching jobs, how much is too much?

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
I was hoping for some snowesters to chime in on this one. A good friend of mine stumbled across a job he is really interested in, but doesn’t know if he should pursue it or not. He asked me for some advice because I have had two positions where I did interviews and hired/fired associates. However, I haven’t come across a situation like his though and my gut feeling is to tell him to go for it, but that’s just my opinion. He graduated from college in Dec of 07 and took a job in Jan 08 in northern MN to get away from eastern SD where he grew up and went to college. After 9 months of that job he started looking for jobs back in eastern SD again so he could be closer to home.

He had a hard time making friends in MN and also had some personal issues at home that made him want to move closer. The company he was working for up there was also dealing with some financial issues and has since gone under. He ended up taking a full time job for a company he used to work for in college as a student. His first job in MN was as an engineer and then was switched to a production supervisor; he was at that company for a total of 10 months. He went back into engineering when he moved back here and has been doing that for a year; he had 4 years experience in engineering while in college with this company before he graduated. Now has his eye set on aproduction management job in the same city he is currently employed in.

He wants to pursue that job for a few reasons: 1) the money would be considerably better, $10k or more better 2) he is starting a family and his wife is 4 months pregnant, he would really like to be able to support them for a few years on just his salary alone so his wife can stay home but he would need to make that extra $10k to do it 3) most importantly, he really enjoyed his supervision roll before and isn’t really sure if engineering is meant for him even though that is what his degree is in. His concern is if his 2 job changes the last 2 years will look bad on his resume, and that applying for new job will somehow get back to him negatively if he doesn’t get the job and someone with his current employer finds out he was thinking about jumping ship.

My take is he has great references at all his positions, he put in a 2 week notice at his last job and stayed on for a month after putting in his recognition to help the company out as much as possible, he bought a house in his current town and knows this is where he wants to stay for number of years. I believe if you look at his situations of why he changed jobs, they are all very valid….however I don’t know if other people will see that or see a person that can’t make up their mind and that might move on after a year leaving them with the expense of training a new employee. Any thoughts? Thanks!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I say go for it.

I worked summers at a company in southeast denver through high school/college. They knew what I could do, I knew the company and how it worked, so things worked out well for me.

If he decides engineering department isn't where he should be, talk to HR and see if they can move him to a different (production) department.

There's a lot to enjoying your job that money doesn't always fix. Sure, the money's great, but if you hate your job why bother?

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hello...

My full time job is a Technical Recruiter. I place high level engineers all over the county. My job is staring at resumes all day long!

In my opinion.... moving that many times will and won't affect him. It all depends on how he lays it out on his resume for future employment.

Currently he has a couple things going for him...
-His first company out of school went under... if he mentions that in his resume that eliminates one problem
-He is moving up and taking other positions that are an advancement and not a lateral move. Hiring managers will see that!
-It's early in his career.... 10 years down the road when he falls into his real passion... the first years don't really matter.
-The company he worked for in school hired him back.... that is a very good thing.
-He has good references!

As long has he markets his resume to reflect advancement and shows he has good references he will be fine.

Cheers
Shawn

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
I would give my employer the opportunity to match the offer. They probably won't but it takes a bit of time to get vested in pensions, 401k, etc. He might start thinking about that. But if pay increase keep out pacing benefits, go for it. Companies clearly only keep you around as long as its fanancially in their favor. Hence the massive layoffs. The time for company loyalty is over. Now if you have found a company with employee loyalty stay. I am guessing in this bean counter ecconomy, the time for that is long past.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks for the input guys......I am glad everyone else see's it the way I did. XP, do you think a possible increase in salary would be a positive or negative point to make in his cover letter? Although the job posting does not list salary, what he makes now as an engineer is far lower than average (company he is at now is noted for paying below average) and he has heard that this other company is noted for paying more towards the high end. Also the job type lands more money on avg than his current position. I suggested the only reference he makes to it is that if he was able to increase his salary, his wife could potentially stay at home, relieving him of many duties at home and allowing him to devote more of his energy to work.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I would keep mention of a salary increase out of the cover letter. At his first interview talk about how is looking to advance his career so his wife can raise there children. For this particular situation avoid talking salary details until the absolute very end.

If you would like I would be happy to review his resume and give you my honest feedback. My email is smcgregor @ 1techeng. com (just take the spaces out). Also if you have a copy of the current job description he is applying for that would help out too. The key to getting in any door is to due your research and custom tailor every resume you send out!

Cheers
Shawn

B

Burns

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary AB
Just my opinion - and I am by no means a professional at resumes, but the cover letter is to get in in the door not define what salary you are looking for. Salary discussions come up in the interview - JMO but if I ever saw mention of a salary increase in a cover letter the resume would end up in the shredder. If I read everything right - mention the interest in moving back to a production supervisory role (ie management), some knowledge of the company and why he wants to work there. A brief description of skills gained in his engineering role and how they transfer to the new position. Engineering encompasses plenty of skills - a lot of them transfer very well to management. I think his job moves have shown progression, engineering, supervisory role in a production capacity, back to engineering for a new company due to some issues (company finacials, personal), and now wants to get back to where his passion lies with some more responsibility This quote to me says it all - "3) most importantly, he really enjoyed his supervision roll before and isn’t really sure if engineering is meant for him even though that is what his degree is in."

W

Wolfrun

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Lander Wy
Go for it. Having worked heavy and highway construction most of my life i know that engineering degrees were a good way to get your foot in the door and things moved fast. Most project managers and general supts. had been estimators and office engineers prior to moving up so engineering and management jobs are close together.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I would keep mention of a salary increase out of the cover letter. At his first interview talk about how is looking to advance his career so his wife can raise there children. For this particular situation avoid talking salary details until the absolute very end.

If you would like I would be happy to review his resume and give you my honest feedback. My email is smcgregor @ 1techeng. com (just take the spaces out). Also if you have a copy of the current job description he is applying for that would help out too. The key to getting in any door is to due your research and custom tailor every resume you send out!

Cheers
Shawn

:beer; Agreed. I would definitely not put anything to do with salary in a cover letter, it will end up in the trash without even reading the rest.

Premium Features