• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Studded track vs.the ramp/tailgate of aluminum utility trailer

D
I was gifted an older snowmobile last winter and needed a trailer for it and for general homeowner use. Yesterday, I bought a left-over 2022 Mission 5'x10' aluminum utility trailer and I really like it. It is decked with 2x8 wood.

I picked up some solid PVC garage door jamb molding for ski slides and will attempt to find an old snowmobile track or something similar for traction and to protect my trailer bed from the studded track on my snowmobile. I've seen some YouTube videos of setting up the deck with this stuff and it all is pretty straight-forward, easy, and inexpensive.

But what about the tailgate/ramp? It seems it would be easy enough to screw down 4' pieces of the ski slide to it. I'm not sure about what to do up the middle to protect it from my track's studs and to provide traction. Another section of old rubber track comes to mind first. Or just a piece of thicker plywood. But there are a few thoughts that make me wonder what the best solutions might be...

1. My tailgate/ramp is capable of folding down flat on the deck. Adding layers of stuff to both the deck and the ramp may prevent my ability to do this.
  2. I currently tow with my Subaru Forester (I have a new Ford Maverick on order since January and scheduled to be built next month). Having that big tailgate/ramp in the upright position like a sail creates a lot of drag and I'm hesitant to add more solid surface area to it. Is it practical to try and make the stuff attached to the ramp removable for trailer use in the warm months?
What do you guys with studded tracks using aluminum utility trailers do to your tailgate/ramps?

Premium Features