• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock JAP bikes overfueling? snow tunes?

C
Oct 21, 2020
hi, im new to the forum and new to snowbiking, ive been interested for a couple years, but going to bite the bullet and get one for this upcoming season. there are a few intermediate builds i have been looking at but came across one well build bike (2016 CRF450/2016 120 TS) and got talking with the guy. he has a Pr2 vortex ecu tuner with 10 snow maps, and "wiesco racers elite 14:1 piston" and a "Danial Crower racing cam" on the 50 hour bike. its got all the other upgrades like spring shocks, rekluse, full fmf exhaust, engine blanket/thermostat . and says that the stock japanese bikes cant keep warm as they overfuel and end up washing past the rings and washing the crank. so he says the is NOT he bike to switch back to dirt. I guess im just a little concerned now if i go with another build on a stock bike (yamaha or honda 450) i work quite a bit so i will not be out there every week. just on the weekend or every second weekend. so it wont really get heavy use. i would perfer to have a bike i can put back on wheels in the spring. let me you what you guys figure.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
All the bikes are at risk of overfuelling (FI bikes) due to the cold. Engine needs to run at normal operating temps (or close anyway) to keep from overfuelling and also to burn off any moisture in the oil. Thermostat, engine blanket, and rad blockers are critical on a snowbike to manage temps and it can be a challenge to keep the temps up where they should be. Sounds like this bike has all that so should be no problem. Make sure it has a temp guage that is visible and preferrably on the engine side of the thermostat so its an accurate display of the engine temp rather than the rad temp. In summer remove the engine blanket and you can leave the thermostat in there, no issues.
From what I have seen usually the PR2 ecu's come with a couple of enduro maps for summer use and they work great. Ask if he has the map sheet from the ECU and it will indicate of there are a couple summer maps on there.
If you run at low elevation in the summer you may need some higher octane fuel for that hi comp piston too.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Another thing I forgot to mention is that with the PR2 ECU and snowbike tunes, the cold overfuelling issue is gone too, programming eliminates this concern. Regardless tho, keeping temps up is important for making good power and for moisture removal as I mentioned earlier.

C
Oct 21, 2020
thats the kind of info i was looking for thanks.
All the bikes are at risk of overfuelling (FI bikes) due to the cold. Engine needs to run at normal operating temps (or close anyway) to keep from overfuelling and also to burn off any moisture in the oil. Thermostat, engine blanket, and rad blockers are critical on a snowbike to manage temps and it can be a challenge to keep the temps up where they should be. Sounds like this bike has all that so should be no problem. Make sure it has a temp guage that is visible and preferrably on the engine side of the thermostat so its an accurate display of the engine temp rather than the rad temp. In summer remove the engine blanket and you can leave the thermostat in there, no issues.
From what I have seen usually the PR2 ecu's come with a couple of enduro maps for summer use and they work great. Ask if he has the map sheet from the ECU and it will indicate of there are a couple summer maps on there.
If you run at low elevation in the summer you may need some higher octane fuel for that hi comp piston too.

Premium Features