• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spruce lodge----she's gone----finally!

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
Well for everyone here who has been following this saga I am happy to say that we have finally closed on the Spruce Lodge and Renee is gone from the mountain. It has been a very interesting deal to say the least.

So with that said, I am very glad to say that the west slope has a new and very sled friendly destination, THUNDER MOUNTAIN LODGE!
We are located on the huge "Champagne Powder" area known as the Grand Mesa. This area is some of the most awesome area for riding I have ever seen and has something for everyone, from the novice beginner to the most advanced riders. It truly is a very diverse area that normally receives over 400" inches of snow annually.

We are on Baron Lake Rd, just off of Hwy 65, 15 miles north of Cedaredge, turn at the USFS Visitor Center, 1st place on the left. (Spruce Lodge sign is still up at entrance). You can drive right to the lodge and we have changed the parking area to accomadate trucks and trailers with more parking area to come in the spring. For everyone in the Midwest it is an easy run out I80, I90 to I70 west at Denver all interstate to within about 45 mins from the Lodge. It really is a rather easy drive.

We have a full restaurant, bar, brand new rentals, both two up Ski Doos and Yamaha Mountain Phazers, Sled tours, Guides, and clean dry Regular, and Premium Fuel, along with Diesel. The 12 warm and cozy cabins with fireplaces and 3 lodge rooms you will find to be squeaky clean and very comfortable. 2 huge Hot Tubs in an outdoor Pavilion, and best of all you ride right from your door.
In the summer we will have Atv rentals, Hiking, Horseback trips, Remote Horseback Guided Flyfishing Pack In Trips, Hunting Trips both Guided and Drop Camps, Boat and canoe rentals, Music and Bonfires and Motorcycle tours of Southwest CO.

As you may have guessed if it can happen on the Grand Mesa it will be done here, I will be posting more info as we go along and should have a web cam up shortly. Currently we have about 5' feet of snow on the ground with more expected this week. I'll keep everyone updated as the snow falls. I rode Sunday and was suprised how much powder was out there and the base is setting up nicely. Another big dump and we will be in heaven!

I know this will sound like an Academy Award speech or something but I would really like to thank a few of the people that have helped me more than they can imagine in trying to buy this lodge. It is amazing to me the help I received from people on this site, some of whom I have yet to meet but have shared many emails and phone calls with looking for insight. Sean (Farmer) and Kristy (Live2Ride) Martin, Ryan Cranston (Corpeleven), by the way if you need a Realtor on the west slope get in touch with Ryan's dad Greg Cranston (Remax GJ) excellant guy, Mike Duffy (Snowww1), watch for more posts concerning Mike as we will be having quite a few events with him at the Lodge, and he will be available to guide you this winter also, the first event we will host is his Avalanche Outdoor Class on Jan. 10th. If you haven't taken this course, do so as it is very, very, very informative and you will be amazed what you learn in real time conditions. Ken & Connie Simpson (Grand Mesa Lodge) have been very helpful and I wish them the best of luck in the sale of their lodge, along with having them as wonderful neigbors, the USFS ( Loren, Ryan, & Connie) as they were extremely helpful in answering my 1000's of questions, quite a change from what you normally find in a Gov. Agency, to all the people who have already booked with us this winter on the faith we would be running the lodge, and last but not least my long time WI sledding partners who have long wondered if I was going to get this deal done or not! To all of you THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Enough of the sappy stuff now let's get on with SLEDDING! I am looking forward to meeting you all and providing the best accomadations and service you will find anywhere. Please stop by and say hello and let me know if there is anything you need or that we can do for you.

As an added incentive we are offering a 15% discount on lodging this winter for any Snowest members and 15% off for anyone who has or will be attending Mike Duffy's Avalanche Classes. Just let us know when you call or email.

THUNDER MOUNTAIN LODGE---- NEW OWNERS----NEW ATTITUDE----NEW EXPERIENCES. Contact us at 970-856-6240 thundermountainlodge@yahoo.com or thundermountainlodge.net

Thanks again, Mark & Jiny

Last edited:
C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Great things are going to happen up there with Mark and Jiny running the show. It was great to finally meet you guys face to face on Sunday, and I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of each other in the future. I'm headed down to ride Cumbres/Chama this christmas while visiting the in-laws, but should be back up to GM in 2010! See you then!

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Congratulations Mark and welcome. Great news to hear................

....................this just in....................32 degrees and falling..........in hell today :D It's official! ;)

(thought for awhile she would never leave)

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
wow, not even an honorable mention? it's OK, i'll still come by for a beer.
a web cam will be awesome, and i recommend posting over at the re-bel site too.

great news, none the less. Congrats Mark!

Ray

S

Spike38

Dec 11, 2007
Indian Hills
Yea-cheers

Good to hear the news. You have much more patience than me. Glad to see you up on the mountain and hope to get up soon and say HI. Best of luck and let it snow.

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
Damn, I knew I would end up missing a couple of people! Just for that the first beer is on me Ray. Hope that will soothe the wound!

wow, not even an honorable mention? it's OK, i'll still come by for a beer.
a web cam will be awesome, and i recommend posting over at the re-bel site too.

great news, none the less. Congrats Mark!

Ray

cash

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Omaha
spruce lodge

were about is the Grand Mesa and Spruce Lodge ? I'm always looking for something new and it sounds like snowmobilers are very welcome here, what a change.

Cash

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
gooder up there....snowd all day..got stuck...had a great lunch at ThunderMtn Lodge!!.....came in after dark!

it was a good day... Thanks Mark for the tasty burger and fries!

jeremy from Indiana!
P1000636.jpg

P1000631.jpg

P1000637.jpg

P1000614.jpg

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
1st vote for having the 4M ride at ThunderMtn next year. Cannonman is committed to offering a full-service sled-in/out lodge on the Mesa. Us locals have been waiting for someone to step up and fill that void.

Having a place that offers fuel, cabins, restaurant/bar, right in the heart of sweet boondocking is priceless. thanx Mark for making this a reality!

ray

Premium Features