• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So What Did I Miss ?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Only been able to lurk around the site a time or two the past couple of years. Been working six to seven tens building this shop home in S. central AK... what a calamity. Couldn't have picked a worse time to build, OSB going for $75 a sheet, no romax to be found, nor any labor. Must have rained ten to twenty inches each month during both of the summers but I got through it. I can't afford to do chit cause I put my life's savings into this project, but hey, it's paid for. Well sort of, the borough tax assessor showed up last week, gonna be bending over this coming summer.

IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1343.JPG

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Particularly pics inside the garage doors! Thickened edge slab on grade? Not sure how they build them up there with the seismic activity.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Only been able to lurk around the site a time or two the past couple of years. Been working six to seven tens building this shop home in S. central AK... what a calamity. Couldn't have picked a worse time to build, OSB going for $75 a sheet, no romax to be found, nor any labor. Must have rained ten to twenty inches each month during both of the summers but I got through it. I can't afford to do chit cause I put my life's savings into this project, but hey, it's paid for. Well sort of, the borough tax assessor showed up last week, gonna be bending over this coming summer.
WELCOME BACK old friend!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Thanks guys! Yeah, it turned out pretty good...It's sitting on 12 1/2 acres, I got a little carried away with the square footage, but you can't never have enough shop space. (2000sqft) It has 18' footers around the edges, and load bearing walls. I have a high-water table so we lifted the pad two ft above grade. Pretty good location, pretty consistent snow conditions, I have my hunting stand overlooking a meadow just past the trees in my backyard, and I have a semi-private trail that connects to the area trail system. About as far off the beaten path you can get and still have power, and get ice cream home before it melts lol

IMG_1392.JPG IMG_1393.JPG IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1353.JPG

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
I missed your IP snow conditions updates, but last year the snow gods blessed my crew on each of our visits. So I’d say you missed an epic snow year!

Nice cabin build! Perhaps, now you can help educate us all on how we might be able to come enjoy the famous AK snow and not break the bank account.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Welcome back. I did the same thing from 2018 - 2022 - but I built the house and started the shop when osb was under $8/ sheet. my dad always said “I’d rather be lucky than good“ haha

Premium Features