• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike registration in California

S
Dec 19, 2022
Lafayette CA
Was wondering about not having a CA "Green sticker" for my bike when I take it to the snow/forest.

The bike has CA street registration and at the staging area before dirt riding in the woods, sometimes a Ranger will stop to check us out.

As soon as they see my spark arrestor & CA street plate, they always say OK, you're good,

Anybody know how the rangers would look at a snowbike not having a Green sticker, like all sleds are supposed to have?

I'm thinking I will mount the license plate on the side of the TS chassis and hope for the best.

Maybe keep a box of Donuts handy for bribes?? ?‍♂️?;)

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I wouldn't worry about it. I can count on one hand over the last twenty years of riding where someone even checked. I pay the $20 every year because it goes toward grooming and sno-park maintenance

A
Jan 18, 2018
I only ride in CA, I reviewed all the laws when I started riding snowbikes, but it's been 6 years or so, so may want to verify...

The main takeaways:
A) snowbikes in California do not have any separate registration. As long as the bike is currently registered, that's all you need.
B) certain areas may have fees associated with grooming/upkeep as koolaid said, but that is different than your registration and many areas in the state have no required fees.
C) bikes with red stickers in most areas of the state are legal to ride offroad as long as it is not in the dry/air quality problem months of the summer. So, the dirtbike off-season. Since snowbikes are ridden in the winter, you should be good.

So, do a little checking in your local areas, but you should be good to go.

I have had rangers check my bikes and they have all been red sticker bikes, but this is Northern California, and we're a little different up here, lol.

Premium Features