• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snow cross gloves fxr or hmk?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i need some help with my next glove purchase. i like a really light weight glove with a tight fit, good grip, and minimal insulation. but i do need SOME insulation.

i've been looking at the hmk factory team glove

the fxr cold cross

and the fxr attack insulated

anyone put their hands into any of these? just looking at the pics and specs, i'm liking the cold cross the best at this point - silicone grips, fleece lining.

but the hmk's could be a close second...

and i'm wondering if the insulation in the attack's is too much, or just right? and if the insulation in the cold cross is too little, or just right?

also, i'm not seeing a fit chart on the website. don't want too small of course, but i light a tight fit, so i don't want to go too big either. can anyone comment on the fit and sizing?

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have been using the Fly gloves for the last couple years and really like them. They have good dexterity, not sloppy around the fingers or wrist, I wear the largest size they carry and they fit my hands good. They stay together when you take them off and on, where others can start to separate the layers. They are pretty water resistant, water proof? not sure as you can start to wick water down from the cuff, or put wet hands in them. They have a good tacky grip and have a long enough cuff to come up to the coat sleeve so you don't have a cold wrist.

I use the ones with the red on the fingers.

http://www.wps-inc.com/wps/WICATALO...=A470++++++&SISID=A395&PRVPAGE=2&PAGEGO=Page#

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i was looking at those as well. i really like them, but in one of the write-ups i was reading, it said that the back of the hand is insulated, but the palm has no insulation at all. sounds nice for grip, but i do want a little something in there for warmth. a bit of fleece at least. is there any truth to what i was reading, or is there actually something warm in there? i would like a pair of these.

and really? the largest size they make? 3xl? i was thinking of a L or XL, but you've got me second guessing if you say that 3xl is nice tight fit...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I can't say that they have any insulation in the palm. With heated grips I wouldn't want any extra "stuff" in the way to limit the dexterity. Even if you are off the sled they seem to keep my hands plenty warm. The extended cuff up over the wrist is nice to keep that area warm and it flexes pretty well. I have some other gloves that are shorter and they have a velcro closure right at the wrist and it gets uncomfortable when you bend your wrist very far.

Yes, the size 13 is what it takes to fit my hands. If the gloves are too small, I either blow the end of the fingers out, the "crotch" between the fingers, or my hands cramp up because I can't get a good stretch. I bought an additional pair last year as a spare pair and they spent the season in the under-hood bag. Therefore, I have 2 seasons on my first pair and will likely wear them again this year. Not bad for a $3x pair of gloves.

T
Dec 25, 2007
All the FXR gloves I have had are shot after just one season. The rest of their stuff has been great (pants, jacket, boots), but the gloves are poor quality. The stitching comes out, all the decal stuff (minor I know) falls off, grips on the palms don't last more than one ride, etc, etc. Won't buy gloves from them again...but the gloves from Klim are pretty sweet.

N
Sep 2, 2011
I'll throw another iron in the fire here, but you should check out the Fox Racing Polar Paw too. They are very decent priced ($40), offer some insulation, great feel, and if you don't end up loving them, they make a great winter mechanic-style glove too. I use them to load, on warm days, and any other time a lightweight glove is nice without needing a ton of waterproofing. Just a thought.
Link:
http://www.bristowsinc.com/eshopprod_cat_6745-45541-13941_product_1000492.Polarpaw_Glove.htm

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
I can't say that they have any insulation in the palm.

so nothing in the palm. how about the insides of the fingers? are they bare as well, or is it just the palms that are without insulation?

nater- those fox gloves look nice, but what exactly do they have for insulation? are they just a thicker mechanic type glove, or is there actually some type of lining inside?

i have a feeling i'll be buying a couple different pairs... i'm also looking at some snowboard gloves now too, which is what i've been using up till now, but i could never find the exact replacement.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Prior Lake, MN
I would be another vote for the true north gloves but FXR has a new lightly insulated glove coming out this year that is pretty darn sweet so I may try that and see how it goes!!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I bought some True North gloves a couple years ago at the Washington snow show. I like a glove at times with a longer cuff. Theirs has a tendency to drop down to the wrist and let snow in anyway. The layers around the fingers are not all connected so they want to bunch up some as well. The dexterity is not as good as the Fly gloves because the layers will roll under your grip causing you to have to grip harder to keep it from doing that. They seem water resistant but I don't like them enough to wear them long enough to find out if they are water proof.

N
Sep 2, 2011
The really don't have much for actual insulation, its more like a thicker motocross glove. The gauntlet is a little higher, the palm is a little thicker, and there feels like another layer or two of material on the top of your hand. Other than that, its a motocross glove. I like them because the palm doesn't move around much when you're riding like a lot of the more insulated gloves do. Again, they are a perfect warm weather glove, or spring riding glove, but don't count on them for the ride home! Especially if they get wet. They do pack well though. Take up almost no room.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
I bought some True North gloves a couple years ago at the Washington snow show. I like a glove at times with a longer cuff. Theirs has a tendency to drop down to the wrist and let snow in anyway. The layers around the fingers are not all connected so they want to bunch up some as well. The dexterity is not as good as the Fly gloves because the layers will roll under your grip causing you to have to grip harder to keep it from doing that. They seem water resistant but I don't like them enough to wear them long enough to find out if they are water proof.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same glove, this is the one that I was refering too.
Storm X Glove

Last year the new Schoeller Dynamic fabric greatly enhanced the performance of the Power Storm X and was so well received we decided to add it to our popular Storm Glove. THE glove for the hardcore backcountry boondocker, the Stom X works well for cold-weather dirt-biking, 4-wheeling, hunting, and other active sports where a lightweight waterproof / breathable & protective glove is what you need.

Waterproof, breathable membrane lining & insulation is permanently attached inside the glove -- no more inside/out gloves (This doesn't mean Bubba can't pull the liners out with a pair of pliers.)
Schoeller Dynamic waterproof/breathable, stretch cordura fabric results in a dryer glove under extreme conditions
Premium Pittard full grain WR100X leather stays soft, doesn't shring or crack, is breathable and quick drying, provides excellent wear and grip.
Added panel to index and little fingers for increased warmth and comfort
Waterproof/breathable Hipora
Precurved fingers
40 gm Thinsulate
Reinforcement leather at the thumb and forefinger seam
Neoprene wristband for comfort and durability
Hang loops and a carabiner for drying & keeping your gloves together
We don't think you'll find a lighter weight glove that provides this much protection.We recommend the same size you normally wear in a mechanics-style or dirt bike glove.

Available in XX-Small (TAG-SGX-XXS), Medium (TAG-SGX-M),2X (TAG-SG-2X), 3X (TAG-SG-3X)

Sorry - out of XS, Small , Large, & XL till next Fall!

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Gloves

I've had both cold cross and hmk. I prefer the hmk. They've held together really well. The cold cross are a bit warmer, but for our riding style here in co. Usually pretty warm, and almost all riding in the trees. The hmk is the best for me. Keep the hand warmers on and you'll be fine. Can't go wrong with either though. I can't stand to ride in anything but snow cross gloves. Others are all too bulky.

Hope it helps.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I have had the same FXR gloves for 5-6 years now and just bought another pair last season for backup. I believe they are the cold cross, but I love them and would buy them again....actually I think i said that I just did that...lol. All of my gear is FXR and no complaints.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I have the hmk gloves and I would recommend them to anyone. They are the perfect lightweight, just enough insulation, and windproof. You have great feel of the handlebars. They have some padding in the palm but nothing to restrict you from what I have noticed. A friend of mine is sponsored by fxr and the majority of his gloves have fallen apart within a few rides.. but he is a snocross racer, so I guess you could take that into consideration. I would definitely buy the hmk gloves again!

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
picked up the hmk's today. definitely no insulation in them at all. just a thick motox glove. but would be good for a back up pair and spring riding. XL size seems ok, but 2XL probably would have been fine as well. Lrg would have been too small.

Premium Features