• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gloves

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
In a bit of a dilemma. With spring clearances I'm stocking up on gear and trying to find a really good pair of gloves. I'm just getting back in after a 17yr hiatus and my favorite gloves used to be just a plain set of Motorcross or Mechanix gloves with the grip heaters on high for some good warm grip on the bars. Mind you, this was back in the day where windshields actually took the wind off the bars but at one time I also ran brush guards. now however I'm trying to get by without any guards, gauntlets or windshields. I tried an old fav mechanix impact glove a couple weeks ago and while they provided a ton of grip, protection for the back of the hand, once stuck and putting hands in the went snow they had zero water repellant capability and my hands were wet and cold for the ride home. While tolerable the grip heaters kept me warm but if we would have headed back 40min later when the sun was really dropping it would have been really unpleasant.

Last Sunday I tried another glove. Of my Klim Inverson, 509 Range Gloves, 509 Free Range, 509 BackCountry Ignite I selected the Free Range gloves. It had just snowed the day before and continuing a bit that morning. I wanted good grip and warmth since I didn't know what the day had in store. First I noticed with a new pair of gloves was my hands were a little went due to the current snow falling so they didn't just slip on and were a bit of work getting them on right. I feared same would happen like an old pair when I took them off the liner would pull in the fingers when removing them and would be a bear to straighten them out again. Though that did not happen. Second I noticed was the bulk of the gloves as I really could not get the grip feel of my finger tips to the bars that I really like. Third, they were ok for warmth and I tried the grip warmers a couple times on high but could barely feel any heat. I would have thought for a glove that thick that it would have provided a bit more warmth. For this pair I was half thinking of adding a set of Klim 1.0 liners to them to aid in slipping them on and off and also maybe a little extra warmth. Thought the 1.0 liner would be good to prolong the life of all my gloves. not really sure though, 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 liners? That's my first question or piece of advise I'm looking for.

Second, Any suggestions on a decent pair of motocross style, waterproof, wind protection, impact protection to the back of the hands that maintain good grip that I could maybe slip a pair of liners under? Links?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I imagine you also have adult sized hands. I have never enjoyed liners in gloves or gloves that the insert comes out with the fingers so I avoid them.

There are gloves being made that have little to no insulation in the palm and considerably more on the back of the hands to help your situation. I like a gauntlet style glove as my arms are long enough my sleeves ride up with wear and then my cuffs get wet. I do have an older pair of FLY gloves that are marginally insulated but have a silicon grip surface on the face and they work really well for nice weather riding. Something similar to this but the model I have are apparently no longer offered.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I imagine you also have adult sized hands. I have never enjoyed liners in gloves or gloves that the insert comes out with the fingers so I avoid them.

There are gloves being made that have little to no insulation in the palm and considerably more on the back of the hands to help your situation. I like a gauntlet style glove as my arms are long enough my sleeves ride up with wear and then my cuffs get wet. I do have an older pair of FLY gloves that are marginally insulated but have a silicon grip surface on the face and they work really well for nice weather riding. Something similar to this but the model I have are apparently no longer offered.
Yeah, I wear an XL in gloves. Agreed that I do like a little bit of gauntlet on gold days to keep the draft and snow out.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I wear the Klim Powerxoss gloves most of the time and have for many years. I really like them. I wear XXL in gloves.

E
Oct 29, 2013
I have been using standard wool lined leather gloves for any technical riding.

Pluses: Grip is excellent, and give maximum freedom of movement, while also
transferring heat from the heated grips well.

Cons: Hands can get cold if cruising high speed with very low temperatures, they will get
soaking wet in the wrong conditions, not that durable.

I keep heavier gloves for the trail, or if weather goes to hell.
It can be a pain switching gloves once or twice during a ride, but it works for me.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
For warmer days or technical riding = Ski Doo Grip Gloves

For colder days and riding trail to get to the woods = Outdoor Research Highcamp 3-finger gloves

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My favorite gloves for maximum feel, lightweight, and waterproof were made by True Adventure gear, but they no longer make them. Local dealer recommended 509 Freeride gloves and I've been overall happy with them after a couple seasons. Not as fine of a grip as the TA gloves, but pretty good for something that's waterproof. I did break one of the quick cinch buckles but overall doesn't affect overall function for me.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
X2. Had three sets of the TA gloves. Shorties were best, but the gauntlet rocked, too. Lost all the pitards grippers over the years, and got retired. Like you, 509 Freeride gaunts are light and flexible, less grip, buckles are quirky. Just can't get the flex and tackiness with the Powercross, and the thumb on all the Inversions is just too slick. Still hunting for next best after TAs. Cut and sew must be much harder than it used to be, and it's all offshored.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
You might laugh but the Head ski gloves from Costco have served me well for many years. I buy a pair or two a year and for 18.00 a pair they are cheap, have the gauntlet and the liners stay put. are a bit thicker but I don't need any others for may temps as I can live with them down to -20. when the palm or thumb wears out I just don't feel bad to send the to the trash. I do get a few years out of them tho.

C
Jan 14, 2020
Fly title non-heated I wear medium nitrile costco gloves that are snug, the costco nitrile large gloves are a lil loose on me. -- for size reference. Titles are good for down to 15f riding. If it's colder than that I throw the Suuuuuper cheap RMATVMC gaulet things on as needed.

Fly title large is good palm size, and god finger size with 1/3" or so space at the end of my fingers, solid ice forms on my glove tips and my hands are toasty as can be.
Kinda waterproof but if your digging shiz out get some glacier gloves Kenai 100% waterproof gloves.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Kinko insulated gloves with Sno Seal hot applied throughout the season. Durable, not too warm for aggressive riding, good dexterity once broken in, cheap, and water resistant enough. Biggest problem with them is once they're wet, they take longer to dry out than a glove made entirely of synthetics. Bring extras on warm/wet days, and dry them out overnight.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Really liked the True Adventure gloves, and not having them anymore I had to go through the glove research and spend tons of money buying everything to not like most.

Found the Tobe glove to be my go to for the last couple years.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
the powercross is a great glove. And no gauntlet = easily packable and doesn't take much space. I like wondergrip or temres "gardening gloves" also

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
I have been riding Ironclad Pro insulated for the last couple of years. They are half the price and work very well in deep powder days

B

Btaoregon

Banned
Aug 11, 2022
United State
I bought leather gloves for gardening. Pretty tough. Cozy. Its flexibility makes it easy for me to do a variety of gardening tasks like operating a chainsaw, mowing the lawn, using a weed killer, and general gardening. So far they seem durable and flexible.

Premium Features