• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz out of business!?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Ya must have a good little birdy:) Betcha NxtLvl
Or Burandt bought them and will keep the Skinz stuff going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Is their IP and tooling for sale, or who was the buyer(s)? Someone knows.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Glad I got my hood, wrong color but still

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
e7d797c529e85728bb40fd9afa6bacc7.jpg

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
Any word if another company will be making their parts under a different name? Skinz had some very unique and popular parts and would be a shame to see it all just disappear.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
It's strange. Burandt's recent videos are talking about the helium matryx hood they've been developing with skinz. Why would skinz undertake that if they're on the way out?

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I’m gonna guess someone in Roseau is the new owner of SPG and the tech will cross over into production sleds. Polaris is already stroking Jack Struthers for the 900 technology so that big bore might go bye-bye if they have their nose in it and they’re offering one comparable, factory direct. They are the kings of everything cool in the snow world. If it’s hot, they’re gonna buy it and brand it Polaris. You can buy a $40-50k off road toy that’s basically a warranty backed trophy truck from them, why not sell factory built mountain mods to those that love to part with their money for a few grins in the trees or the top of the mountain?

Too bad though. The days of combing through aftermarket parts and planning a sweet new build are kinda over compared to 10-15 years ago. Takes some of the fun out of it.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
I'm hoping its a company like Zollinger or IceAge that will pick up the products, keeping it third party to serve all of the brands.
Although Polaris does seem to be on a streak of buying accessory companies.

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
I'm hoping its a company like Zollinger or IceAge that will pick up the products, keeping it third party to serve all of the brands.
Although Polaris does seem to be on a streak of buying accessory companies.
Zollinger was bought out quite awhile ago. They just work for the company that owns them now.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Since all their stuff is in auction my bet is they had money problems and bankruptcy. The only companies I know who were in full operations business one day and closed the next we’re in complete financial collapse. They had a lot of great products.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You don't move a business into converting assets to cash that fast unless there's a bank driving it. Just the way it is.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I heard some gossip about Skinz and about how the owner treats people but mostly how he treated his close relatives. It’s juicy info.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Whats the scoop? There must be more to the story... especially a company so closely associated with the top riders in the sport, I was wondering what was going on with them since there website looked like it was from 1997

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
the little i know about them they were a terrible company. they may have made some cool things but when they returned that one guys seat cover back to him rubbed in **** i am glad to hear everything went to auction

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Well received/liked products does not equal a viable, sustainable business (maybe they have a big shop, big overhead and the rent doubled?). That said, I know nothing about this business specifically or why this announcement or end of business. What I can tell you is that the snowmobile consumer is extremely fickle and challenging in nature (dudes complain about sled colors/graphics every year like clockwork). A lot of aftermarket companies have come and gone...and from what I saw, it was tough to just break even. And with the expense and state of new machines now, I'd say the target audience is reduced more an more every year. I mean, honestly, you can now get a totally stock sled that has near optimized performance...if you do sell aftermarket stuff, it will be limited in scope/quantity and more based on preference than need. And there are simply not many people anymore who will drop $17k on a new sled and then be looking to drop another couple thousand.

Premium Features