• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid shocks

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I noticed this on my 21 that came with a 2.6, coming from my alpha the 2.6 was noticeably terrible. I quickly put a camso X3 156 on it and was happy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

J
Jan 1, 2023
Brackendale
Mine(‘22) had about the same from initial setup. Last ride I gave them about 3 turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be careful how far you go. There is a min and max on preload for the spring range. The spring in the pics is way over spring and out of its range. You know why the shocks were replaced ? max is 6.25” of preload and min is 6.5” I’m same weight as you guys and I run 6.25” with the high speed at 5 clicks out from fully seated from the right and 10 clicks on low speed. If u want it to transfer and wheelie more turn both high speed and low speed to the right closed but make sure there not closed all the way maybe back a click and make the rear track shock all the way soft. My 165 goes over backwards when I do that

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Be careful how far you go. There is a min and max on preload for the spring range. The spring in the pics is way over spring and out of its range. You know why the shocks were replaced max is 6.25” of preload and min is 6.5” I’m same weight as you guys and I run 6.25” with the high speed at 5 clicks out from fully seated from the right and 10 clicks on low speed. If u want it to transfer and wheelie more turn both high speed and low speed to the right closed but make sure there not closed all the way maybe back a click and make the rear track shock all the way soft. My 165 goes over backwards when I do that

I think before I do anymore turning on the preload, I’ll bump up the clickers like you mention and get a feel for that. I don’t think I have adjusted the clickers since day 1 when I just centered both. Then maybe a little turn if needed. I do not want wheelies everywhere and I don’t want to trench to the dirt. The sled is incredibly easy to ride, I’m just very picky about suspension response.

J
Jan 1, 2023
Brackendale
I think before I do anymore turning on the preload, I’ll bump up the clickers like you mention and get a feel for that. I don’t think I have adjusted the clickers since day 1 when I just centered both. Then maybe a little turn if needed. I do not want wheelies everywhere and I don’t want to trench to the dirt. The sled is incredibly easy to ride, I’m just very picky about suspension response.

Yes I agree. These specs are out of the Manuel. Brett Turcotte has a cpl good videos on YouTube called 3 minute Thursday’s suspension set up he does the front shocks rear skid shocks then one on where he ended up with his final settings.

8898E1BE-1BBE-4371-90EE-138F31B7CF3F.jpeg 4AD06CFE-73F0-41AF-9AFE-5D1423C0DC76.jpeg 314006D7-A975-4A33-AAE0-0838B58E7E61.jpeg 057366A4-94F1-4D19-B25E-66FF8FF577FE.jpeg

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yes I agree. These specs are out of the Manuel. Brett Turcotte has a cpl good videos on YouTube called 3 minute Thursday’s suspension set up he does the front shocks rear skid shocks then one on where he ended up with his final settings.

Thank you. Good info there.

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Try adding a few clicks of lsc on fts and a few less on rts along with the changes in preload. Will help make front end lighter and transfer more, will start to trench more though. That track works well if you spin it up a bit faster than a 3" in my experience as well, bit more aggressive on throttle.
I agree with you. My 165 khaos with 2.75 feels great will little adjusts to clickers and spring preload

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I just looked in my manual and it shows different specs for minimum installed height on the FTS

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Preload controls how much of the travel gets used while the LSC and HSC control how quickly it gets used.

The rubber stoppers can be a good way to understand how much travel you're using. Push them all the way up, ride how you typically ride and adjust pre-load based on what they tell you. You want to use all your travel so be sure you are bottoming out on ~10% of the hits. Polaris baselines are a great starting point.

I have definitely noticed a difference in the LSC changes to the rear skid. Ultimately it will always be a sliding scale between ski lift/trench and track lift/playfulness unless you have IQS

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Preload controls how much of the travel gets used while the LSC and HSC control how quickly it gets used.

The rubber stoppers can be a good way to understand how much travel you're using. Push them all the way up, ride how you typically ride and adjust pre-load based on what they tell you. You want to use all your travel so be sure you are bottoming out on ~10% of the hits. Polaris baselines are a great starting point.

I have definitely noticed a difference in the LSC changes to the rear skid. Ultimately it will always be a sliding scale between ski lift/trench and track lift/playfulness unless you have IQS
Preload also adjusts the way the sled transfers weight front to rear. Reguardless of how much travel is used

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I changed the clickers 5-10times each ride, every ride, for the first few hundred miles.
One extreme to the other and everything in between.

I had a pretty extensive log of every setting and the results.

The worst part about the rear shock is mobbing the huge moguls in springtime. It soaks up 3-5 and then kicks u out sideways.

I like the simple 3 clicks on the fox shocks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

J
Jan 1, 2023
Brackendale

I changed the clickers 5-10times each ride, every ride, for the first few hundred miles.
One extreme to the other and everything in between.

I had a pretty extensive log of every setting and the results.

The worst part about the rear shock is mobbing the huge moguls in springtime. It soaks up 3-5 and then kicks u out sideways.

I like the simple 3 clicks on the fox shocks.

Ya aftermarket suspension is definetly better but just for ****s and giggles what settings worked best for u in the mountains

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think this is where i left off.
(F=factory)
It sucks trying to keep track of where all these knobs are, no quick way to check,gotta turn each one all the way in and count, even if u haven't touched them, trees can turn ur ski shock knobs too!

Max out clockwise, count clicks counterclockwise.
Black- Low
Red- High

Skis, 8threads (F-H4,L6)H3, L2/L4
FTS, 10threads (F-H4,L6)H3, L2
RTS, 8threads (F-H4,L6)H4, L4
Try H6, L10 for wheelies.

I know i have put more than ideal preload on FTS, still couldn't get the steering and handling i was looking for. I had to buy both rear shocks as a kit, i would have been fine just replacing the RTS.

J
Jan 1, 2023
Brackendale
I think this is where i left off.
(F=factory)
It sucks trying to keep track of where all these knobs are, no quick way to check,gotta turn each one all the way in and count, even if u haven't touched them, trees can turn ur ski shock knobs too!

Max out clockwise, count clicks counterclockwise.
Black- Low
Red- High

Skis, 8threads (F-H4,L6)H3, L2/L4
FTS, 10threads (F-H4,L6)H3, L2
RTS, 8threads (F-H4,L6)H4, L4
Try H6, L10 for wheelies.

I know i have put more than ideal preload on FTS, still couldn't get the steering and handling i was looking for. I had to buy both rear shocks as a kit, i would have been fine just replacing the RTS.

That was on a 165 Khaos.? It must have trenched a lot

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That was on a 165 Khaos.? It must have trenched a lot
No trenching.

It wheelies better now with fox shock.
We'll see how it handles the moguls this spring.

That #3 sure tames the hill when u need it!

J
Jan 1, 2023
Brackendale
No trenching.

It wheelies better now with fox shock.
We'll see how it handles the moguls this spring.

That #3 sure tames the hill when u need it!

Ya I had an Alpha for the last cpl years with QS3’s and when I needed to go up the rear went into lockout #3 and the fts went into #1

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Any updates? Did you find some decent settings?

I gave the front track shock 1 more turn and bumped the clickers up 2 and backed the clickers (on the rear track shock) off 3.

Seems better I’m not 100% sold on it yet.

Premium Features