• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro rmk surging idle, wide open bog, hard start when warm, voltage regulator?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, so my spare / wife sled sled is a 2011 pro rmk. Last ride of last season the fuel pump had a loud whine to it so I replaced it this fall, new pressure regulator, fuel filter. Inspected and verified pick up is good as best I can. First ride 3/4 through the day it started to surge the idle. I thought it was odd, listened and heard a bit of a whine from the new pump, took it for a spin and it would bog out right away when held open then pick up again and keep doing that. We sat and ate for a half hr or 45 mins, sled was normal after that. Next ride and last ride, it went 10km up the trail, running hotter due to icy snow. I shut it off about 3 times before and the 4rh time for a mini break waiting for others to catch up it would not start, I pulled like 5 times then it barely did. Spark is there and good, also no fuel pump whine at all this time, normal but did bog out when holding wide open after 3 seconds.

I get it back to my truck and pull out the multi meter and check voltage, for a moment it had 15.3v, then down to 14v then for a split moment it went to 7v then 9v and back to 14v. It was not acting up, I held it wide open for 10+ seconds no bog.

I haven't seen a voltage light but I'm wondering and thinking it's the voltage regulator acting up? In my experience electronics act up when they get hot and run good after cooled off which is a common in this, that when it sits for a while it's good to go again.

It does somewhat seem like a fuel pump issue but the odds the factory one making the noise and doing it as well as my replacement? Also genuine walbro pump. Perhaps if the voltage reg over volted it may whine the pump? Or low voltage? Surging idle could be low voltage? I know it's not boiling fuel. Thanks!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Tonight I stuck my air shock pump on the schrader valve to check pressure at the pump,

When the machine is stopped should it be holding pressure for a while or is it normal for it to bleed off right away?

Mine bleeds off right away and when I use the pump I hear the air bubbling in the tank. Kinda thinking something isn't right there or?

Premium Features