• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PrayN4snow's Stage build/tuning the AXYS RMK 800

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
L

Lefty

Apr 26, 2008
Teton Valley
BMP stage 3 in the MTNS

I was at BMP, while this build was taking place. Mine was also being done, only difference being, I choose the powder lite can. Have had it out in the pasture at 6200'. Just working on the break in. From the little time I have on it, I'm positive it will be sweet on the MTN. Plan to ride at Togwotee, in the am. Will keep you posted.

Bikeman Performance Plus

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2009
What would these dyno runs look like above 6000ft? Have you tested these upgrades at elevation?

Yes we have done some testing at elevation with a switchback last year. Really, since this motor is not very far off from the previous years... we knew how it will react at higher elevations. Same recipe for the most part, just a slightly different configuration.

the pipe alone no controller seems to loose alot of power between 7200 and 7750 rpm.

What is up with that?

Pipe loses a little in the mid range which is why we recommend the controller even though it's not necessary. Still huge gains up top where it matters most. Just have to give up a few in the mid if you want to only run the pipe.

I was at BMP, while this build was taking place. Mine was also being done, only difference being, I choose the powder lite can. Have had it out in the pasture at 6200'. Just working on the break in. From the little time I have on it, I'm positive it will be sweet on the MTN. Plan to ride at Togwotee, in the am. Will keep you posted.

Keep us posted! I saw a little clip from you riding today... looks like it's running very strong.

From my experience bikeman does not run well at higher elevation. There tuning and mapping is never spot on.

What sled(s) have you had and what parts? We actually do quite a bit of testing at altitude. Jimmy and Joey normally do much more riding out west than around our midwest location. While many variables come into tuning with a power commander, I can say our tuning with the Bully Dog is working extremely well. Since this reprograms all of the factory maps and all altitude compensation is built in, it's much easier to have tuning dialed in for everyone. Just as the factory runs the same mapping at low and high altitude, we are also able to do this.

-Mike

L

Lefty

Apr 26, 2008
Teton Valley
BMP stage 3 AXYS on snow at altitude

Ran it from 8600-9600, throttle response was quick & crisp. It pulled hard enough to leave me with sore abs! Due to early season conditions & break in I was not able to give it a good extended pull. However, was very impressed with it considering the conditions, I had to work with. Also had my 860 BB 3" out with us. Jumping from one to the other, the stage 3 felt to pull as hard, with more snappiness. Will post again after more snow & past break in......

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
This has been the worst winter anyone in Upper Michigan can remember. We had snow, then it rained for a week here and near 40! Very disappointing start to the winter. As soon as I can get out to ride, Ill post some feedback. Ok "Old Man Winter" time to get to work.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ok "Old Man Winter" time to get to work.

Old Man Winter needs to lay a big ole' KISS on Mother nature first to make snow work.
face-icon-small-cool.gif

attachment.php

I would really like to see the charting numbers at higher elevations from Bikeman-to really understand what this it will deliver ( in all stages)
To be fair at LEAST 6,000'- 8,000' where most of us western riders ride- or just unload for that matter, cause we go to play around 9,300 and up.

S/C

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Ive had people ask me questions about the Dyno tunes. Im not an expert Bikeman is, along with others on here so hopefully this video will help answer some of those questions about how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqI2_1cGvA&feature=youtu.be
At the end when he does a long pull, you can see how the pipe really likes being heated up and pulled well into the 180+ range. Some pipe combinations fade off when they get hot. Good job Joey for helping an old knuckle dragger like me understand modern computer controlled engines.

Last edited:

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Bikeman was working on a Y-pipe while I was there. I wanted one bad, but they would not sell me one until it was dialed in perfect. I heard they've been through a lot of prototypes since then and are ready to release something before long. Added to the stage III kit they were seeing mid 180HP pulls!
Its hard to be patient when you know there is cool stuff coming soon, but for me there is still strangely no snow here in the U.P :(

Bikeman Performance Plus

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2009
Old Man Winter needs to lay a big ole' KISS on Mother nature first to make snow work.
face-icon-small-cool.gif

attachment.php

I would really like to see the charting numbers at higher elevations from Bikeman-to really understand what this it will deliver ( in all stages)
To be fair at LEAST 6,000'- 8,000' where most of us western riders ride- or just unload for that matter, cause we go to play around 9,300 and up.

S/C

To see those numbers we would have to take the dyno up in elevation and do different checks at all altitudes which simply is not feasible for any company. However, since we have a strong west coast customer base and go out west many times a year, we know the differences needed to make the best power in both places. Having done this for many many years also helps us know what happens when you climb up in altitude.

To look at dyno graphs you have to see where the altitude started at. For us, we are slightly over 1000ft. Every 1000ft you go up in altitude, you see a rough 3% loss.

If you take your dyno numbers and subtract that 3% from them you will get a good estimate on horsepower levels at elevation.

Lets say you are running at 6000ft. We calculate a 15% loss over what our stock machine sitting at 156hp. We do the simple math (156 x .85) You are sitting at 132.6hp.

Now we can throw a wrench in the mix... high compression heads. Our domes are just shy of 14:1 and will help restore some of your lost power. With these domes, you will cut your loss down to roughly 2% which makes a big difference. Of course you always have variables, but these are a great way to calculate estimated horsepower at altitude.

The great thing about the tuning we offer is that it has great altitude compensation because we go off the factory maps and keep the same ratios. This allows us to run the same fuel maps here as we can at altitude.

-Mike

Bikeman Performance Plus

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2009
Bikeman was working on a Y-pipe while I was there. I wanted one bad, but they would not sell me one until it was dialed in perfect. I heard they've been through a lot of prototypes since then and are ready to release something before long. Added to the stage III kit they were seeing mid 180HP pulls!
Its hard to be patient when you know there is cool stuff coming soon, but for me there is still strangely no snow here in the U.P :(

Yep! Y-pipe is in the works and should be available in roughly 6 weeks. We went through many different designs to get what we did, but we saw another 3hp to hit that 180hp mark on the finalized prototype design. Once we stamp this design, we will re-test and make sure everything is where it needs to be. This will be a great add on to the stage 3 kit.

The best part was on long pulls (you can see in the video) we actually start creating more horsepower. This is huge especially for powder riding where you can be pinned for quite some time. Many other setups fall off quickly.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Yep! Y-pipe is in the works and should be available in roughly 6 weeks. We went through many different designs to get what we did, but we saw another 3hp to hit that 180hp mark on the finalized prototype design. Once we stamp this design, we will re-test and make sure everything is where it needs to be. This will be a great add on to the stage 3 kit.

The best part was on long pulls (you can see in the video) we actually start creating more horsepower. This is huge especially for powder riding where you can be pinned for quite some time. Many other setups fall off quickly.

Mike, is the Y-pipe going to be ceramic coated or black? Does it come with a gasket?

Bikeman Performance Plus

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2009
The y-pipe will be ceramic. The manifold works much better when hot, so holding the heat is crucial for best performance. No gasket will be supplied, but we will have an option to purchase one with it. Many choose to just use silicone which works well also.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Unfortunately I haven't logged into SW for a while. My wife has been real sick, but we finally have some answers and she goes in for surgery on Jan 25th. So with that and the lack of snow this is the 1st time in my life I don't have hundreds of miles of riding before the new year. Im glad to hear others are finding great snow:)

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
"SnowTech" Magazine just did a two page article on this build Its called "BMP Bolt-on Performer Kits for Polaris AXYS 800HO". To see it look for the Jan/Feb 2016 addition. It maybe available on line. Its in the Technical Preview section, pages 52 & 53.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
A small excerpt from the SnowTech article:
"These new bolt-on performer kits for your Polaris Axys 800 will completely change your sled for the better! Bikeman Performance has extensively tested these products together as a complete package to deliver the best performance possible. The cool part is you can select from three stages of modification and performance, depending on how far you want take things. "

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Whats up with the brown taped leads?
Also I had added to m post on this to put a small screw like cat does in the head to assist in keeping the plunger seated - it helps with not cutting out.

S/C

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Whats up with the brown taped leads?
Also I had added to m post on this to put a small screw like cat does in the head to assist in keeping the plunger seated - it helps with not cutting out.

S/C

The Polaris tether was on back order, this is the old polaris model that has the extra two plugs that would tie into the ignition switch. I simply taped them off to show their not used. I actually cut them off after then used some heat shrink caps. Yes, the little screw works nice. I might look into the cordless air tether next, Ive never used one.

Premium Features