• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polyester covers for Matrix any good?

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
Polaris only issuing polyester covers for our Matrix sleds. Has anyone have any good reviews for these on sled decks?
Several years ago last polyester cover didn’t even make one trip to Wyoming before froze and shredded. Had great luck with the canvas covers holding for several seasons. Scared to plunk down $300 on another failure. Would a axys 155 canvas work on my 165 slash?

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
The 155 covers are designed for the 144 and 155 sleds axys sleds. If you have a 165 slash, then it may fit, I can't imagine there are too many other differences in the covers since the base chassis is the same.

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
Like your spindle mods, quess my next question is how does it holdup or stay on with the new tipped up and narrowed rear bumper.
Has anyone experienced the frozen cover issue and had it tear?

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
Does the cover go all the way to the back of the tunnel? There was a time they made a short cover that ended at the back of the seat.
cover goes all the way to the bumper. uses 2 straps to hook to the bumper. the straps run through the tarp and hook around the a-arms. the tighter you cinch the straps the more the tarp tightens around the bottom of the sled.

TGZ

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2011
Uniontown WA
Polaris only issuing polyester covers for our Matrix sleds. Has anyone have any good reviews for these on sled decks?
Several years ago last polyester cover didn’t even make one trip to Wyoming before froze and shredded. Had great luck with the canvas covers holding for several seasons. Scared to plunk down $300 on another failure. Would a axys 155 canvas work on my 165 slash?
My axys cover fits really good on my 22 matryx slash 165

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Off topic a bit but my old Ski-Doo Gen4 cover fits the Matryx well.

Not as well as it fits on a Doo due to different spindles and running boards, but the length and overall fit is solid.

Most importantly it stays in place going 60mph down the highway and doesn't tear to pieces like I've seen most Poo covers do.

YMMV.

TGZ

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2011
Uniontown WA
Was your axys cover a 155” for the 165”? My axys 163 fit great until you get to the tunnel and about 8” to long.
I used on a 17 163 and a 21 163 it was tight on those with aftermarket rear bumper and wrap around front bumper
Just roll the back of the cover up under itself if it seems too long
May fit my matryx better because I have the Polaris wrap around front bumper so that could be taking up some slack

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
The 155 covers are designed for the 144 and 155 sleds axys sleds. If you have a 165 slash, then it may fit, I can't imagine there are too many other differences in the covers since the base chassis is the same.
looks like Polaris has updated the listing for the 144/155 Canvas cover to include the new 155 and 165 matryx sleds:

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Had an odd issue yesterday with the polyester covers on two Axys sleds. Since the front has to go over the front bumper first, then dressed out to fit over the handlebars you have only one option to get it on. The two covers in question were extremely tight trying to drop it down over the bars. Mine was so tight that I put it back and yarded out my canvas cover for my IQ chassis and used it instead. At the end of the day I had a real bear of a time getting the poly cover on the other Axys sled. Not sure what the solution is going to be as Polaris likely won't address anything.
There is a vertical seam just to the inside of the grip that I may have to split open and install a vertical zipper so the tension can be relieved to get the cover over the bar end, then zip back up to transport. Not sure yet.

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
I went with the polyester cover since only type available for Boost. So far 900 miles of adverse weather I’m impressed. I all ways start with handle bars then pull over nose then tail.

33054EFD-DC79-4545-9CDB-D1681A4D2C87.jpeg

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
Overall I'm impressed with the new Polyester cover for the Matryx, picked one up 50% off at my local dealers Black friday sale. Just used it for two weeks straight up in steamboat with warm & cold temps, high winds, and highway driving on a sled deck. No complaints. First time I wrapped the back around the rear bumper on my 165 Slash and it came off on the highway (just the tail was flapping). I wrapped around the snow flap and hasn't done the same thing since. Seems comparable in durability to the old Canvas.... also more waterproof, shouldn't freeze up as bad.

L
Jan 16, 2024
australia
While I haven't tried the Polaris ones specifically, I've had solid experiences with canvas covers lasting multiple seasons. Considering your past mishap, it might be worth checking forums for user reviews or even reaching out to fellow sledders for their input. As for the axys 155 canvas on a 165 slash, it's worth verifying the fit with others who've made a similar switch.

Premium Features