• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plugs backing out

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
^ Appreciate the reply. I only have one source for 91 non eth and have really no visibility into quality of the fuel, but lots of guys around here run it.

Good point on age of race fuel, but it was purchased from a large distributor, Kellerstrauss, in our area so hoping that was ok.

The one thing I do know is that silber told me to run the sled in ethanol mode as this is where they did all their programming and I was running in non-eth.

So a fresh set of properly gapped plugs and running in *ethanol* mode is where I will start and planning on testing that out tomorrow at the same place. I will report back what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
^ Appreciate the reply. I only have one source for 91 non eth and have really no visibility into quality of the fuel, but lots of guys around here run it.

Good point on age of race fuel, but it was purchased from a large distributor, Kellerstrauss, in our area so hoping that was ok.

The one thing I do know is that silber told me to run the sled in ethanol mode as this is where they did all their programming and I was running in non-eth.

So a fresh set of properly gapped plugs and running in *ethanol* mode is where I will start and planning on testing that out tomorrow at the same place. I will report back what I find.

Let us know!

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Its absolutely more than 5 but how much more is debatable.

I'd wager its closer to 6, meaning you are close to ~17.3-18 MAP, which is about 3.6-4ish psi above stock at sea level. I would expect with good non-ethanol gas there to be no problem.

So this is the rub, I'm honestly not confident in much of the pump gas around the country. There are certain stations known for good gas, but if you end up with skunky gas or something happened to the fuel you are screwed.

This is why the whole idea of a "pump gas" turbo is starting to be concerning to me. In theory it should be fine. In practice, there are so many variables that can cause problems even at MAP of 17ish.

To add, race gas has a limited shelf life. Buying some from a powersports shop that has been sitting there for years is a surefire way to see det. (no pun intended)

Anyway, rants aside, my $0.02 is to run an AV gas mix, and run more than you think you need. End of the day it's cheap insurance.

This is great info for sure, Av gas here is testing everyday. Unless you test pump gas or someone you know has it is hard to say what your actually getting.

Run good fuel, make sure your clutching is right, gaped plugs are a couple things that should get you going. With that elevation and boost level is should be as simple as getting good fuel in it.

Also try checking you compression just to know.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
No luck. We have a big storm coming into northern utah so didn't make it out taking care of work issues. I have everything buttoned up and drained old fuel and put in new tank of 91 non eth and 3 gallons AV gas. Going to be good snow by Saturday so hope she is ready to ride.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Got to ride Salt River today and all I can is WOWZA about this sled. Good fuel (91 + AV Gas), new plugs, and the sled set to ethanol mode and she rips. I am sure once you get used to the 5 lb spring you want more, but I was experiencing permagrin all day. Almost feels like I am cheating. Thanks for all help. No DET. Biggest problem was arm pump trying to hang on.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Did you notice the RPM's you were running while hanging on to that better running sled?

8300-8400 and never saw anything north of 8400 according to the gauge.

Compared to my first trip out and this being my first boosted sled I am obviously impressed and I am sure everyone who has been down the path gets a good laugh out of guys with their first turbo.

After watching some footage from the go pro I am wondering if I can finesse the bottom end a bit more. Less weight (currently running 10-76) and steeper helix (stock helix)?

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska

Compared to my first trip out and this being my first boosted sled I am obviously impressed and I am sure everyone who has been down the path gets a good laugh out of guys with their first turbo.

After watching some footage from the go pro I am wondering if I can finesse the bottom end a bit more. Less weight (currently running 10-76) and steeper helix (stock helix)?

This is the perfect RPM range

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming

Let me know how fast you build power now after letting that boost spring breathe better- it should help... your only 25 minutes from the snow!!-

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Let me know how fast you build power now after letting that boost spring breathe better- it should help... your only 25 minutes from the snow!!-

You bet. Thanks for the help pinning that down. Darn job got in the way again this afternoon, but will get back out before the week is out.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Heading out tomorrow- I will plug one and see if it makes a difference:juggle:

Unfortunately I took on of the plugs out and still not what it should be and definitely not like the identical axys my buddy rides with the exact same setup.

Still runs good, but just can't hold down the throttle and climb the hill. To keep the boost I have to carefully manage the throttle. If I hold it down, it will cough and sputter so I back off and then it will clear and build boost again.

I dunno. Talking with silber they apparently have never run into this.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Unfortunately I took on of the plugs out and still not what it should be and definitely not like the identical axys my buddy rides with the exact same setup.

Still runs good, but just can't hold down the throttle and climb the hill. To keep the boost I have to carefully manage the throttle. If I hold it down, it will cough and sputter so I back off and then it will clear and build boost again.

I dunno. Talking with silber they apparently have never run into this.

Make sure you don't have any boost leaks- I would spary the charge tubes with a product that would raise the idle if injested- need to check for boost leaks first..

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Make sure you don't have any boost leaks- I would spary the charge tubes with a product that would raise the idle if injested- need to check for boost leaks first..

Another way to do this, spray everything down with really soapy water (while cool). Start the sled and watch for bubbles while very gently raising RPM.

Possible catalysts....

Boost leak
MASSIVE belt slippage
Sensor is intermittently cutting out. (make sure all your connections are good, dielectrical grease etc)
Bad gas (not likely)

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
JJ - Good ideas. At this point it is a boost leak or electrical from what Incan see. Put on new belt with deflection set just short a squealing belt, clutch alignment is spot on and last time out ran 50/50 with av gas. No DET and plugs stayed tight so I don't think I am in an over boost situation. Also gapped plugs to a tight .020.

Any likely chance the waste gate is not functioning as designed? Sled fires up and idles, but any chance TPS causing and issue? Probably end up being something simple.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
JJ - Good ideas. At this point it is a boost leak or electrical from what Incan see. Put on new belt with deflection set just short a squealing belt, clutch alignment is spot on and last time out ran 50/50 with av gas. No DET and plugs stayed tight so I don't think I am in an over boost situation. Also gapped plugs to a tight .020.

Any likely chance the waste gate is not functioning as designed? Sled fires up and idles, but any chance TPS causing and issue? Probably end up being something simple.

Unlikely its overboost though the wastegate springs do take time to "break in" to a small extent.

Could be TPS. Not a terrible idea to make sure that's set right.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
TPS put should only cause bogs, not studder/det.

I was under the impression the DET problem was gone, and now he only had the bog/stutter problem.

If his TPS is way out, his map will not perform as intended. Its a fairly big variable in the equation...

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I was under the impression the DET problem was gone, and now he only had the bog/stutter problem.

If his TPS is way out, his map will not perform as intended. Its a fairly big variable in the equation...

Agreed but not sure if has a bog or? The studder/miss I get is det which comes into play under rpm or over rpm.

Just checking on what he is actual hearing.

Premium Features