• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Norweigan Roll Call....Any Norske's here?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
As I Lay here chompin on Lefse I decided a tribute post to the old codgers of Norse tradition. Anyone remeber some of those old Jokebooks your dad or grandfather had? For those who don't have a clue about some of the norse terms like Snoose, Lefse, Uff Da, Lutefisk etc. I'll start out a description of what Uff Da means as printed on the back of Red Stanglands Uff Da Joke book.

The Meaning of "UFF DA"

"Uff Da" is not in the dictionary, but for many Scandinavians, It is an all-purpose expression covering a viriety of situations such as:

"Uff Da" is ....looking in the mirror and discovering...you're not getting better, you're just getting older.
"Uff Da" is ....trying to dance the polka to rock and roll music.
"Uff Da" is ....losing your wad of gum in the chicken yard.
"Uff Da" is ....eating hot soup when you've got a runny nose.
"Uff Da" is ....waking yourself up in church with your own snoring.
"Uff Da" is ....sneezing so hard that your false teeth end up in the bread plate.
"Uff Da" is ....walking way downtown and then trying to remember what you wanted.
"Uff Da" is ....getting swished in the facce with a cows wet tail.
"Uff Da" is ....trying to pour two buckets of manure into one bucket.
"Uff Da" is ....eating a delicious sandwich and then discovering the spread is cat food.
"Uff Da" is ....arriving late at a lutefisk supper and getting served minced ham instead.
"Uff Da" is ....when your two "steady" girlfriends find out about each other.
"Uff Da" is ....trying to look at yourself in the mirror January 1st.
"Uff Da" is ....looking in your rear view mirror and seeing flashing red lights.
"Uff Da" is ....the same as Charlie Brown's "Good Grief."
"Uff Da" is ....pushing the light switch and suddenly remembering you forgot to pay the electric bill.
"Uff Da" is ....opening up the latest real estate tax bill.
"Uff Da" is ....noticing non-Norweigans at a church dinner using lefse for a napkin.
"Uff Da" is ....watching what dogs do to lutefisk piled up in front of the butcher shop.
"Uff Da" is ....not being Scandinavian.

call_upload_image.php

How many Norske's out there eh?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Ja jeg kan snake Norsk. I can speak Norwegian
Hvordan stor det til? How are you
Har du en Ski doo? Do you have a Ski doo
Hvor skal vi ride o Lurdag? where shall we ride on Saturday

Hows that. Ih tea, I am German and French Canadian

O
Nov 26, 2007
Alta, Norway
www.scooternorge.no
HOLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA from the Norwegian president....

Not to bad Norsk there but..

Dere er alle noen jævla RÆVHULL!!!

(YOU ARE ALL F'IN A-HOLES!!!)

J/K...

GOOOOD JUL ALLE SAMMEN

(MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL)!!!!!

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
my wifes family still cooks lutifisk for New Years dinner. Nasty stuff.

Definatly and aquired taste that must be worked on and not for the finiky palate. Also hugely dependant on who or how its made and what it's eaten with. I could never stand it growing up because people would generally overcook it and turn it to mush. And you also had to have their version of Lefse with it. (Lefse is sweet and more universally accepted) Alot of people make the actual lefse too thick (potato bread) and don't put the effort tof making a decent filling for the lefse and winds up gritty becaue they don't disolve the sugar. When I was stationed in Germany I made a trip to Norway and that's where I first had decently prepared lutefisk with decent lefse. And it was actually quite pleasant. In fact that embolded me to try the shark (3 month dead and buried shark meat)! Whoa! You almost need no taste buds and a cast iron gut to get that stuff down.

B

beer gut

Nov 2, 2004
Centennial, CO
I grew up in ND too, my great-grandparents were from Sigdal, Norway. Got a little bit of Swedish mixed in there somewhere, too.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
100% norwegian here......not very good at the language though.
plan on visiting in the next 2 years........all of Scandinavia.

Merry Christmas.
RS

Premium Features