• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New track recommendation...Camso Challenger X3.2?

J
Jan 6, 2023
PNW
I've got a '22 hardcore 154" converted to elevate twin rail. I believe (the previous owner did the conversion) the rear skid is from an 18? mountain cat. So I guess that means it takes a 153" x 15" track with 3" pitch, I assume? It's time to replace sooner rather than later, and I was looking at the Challenger X3.2 in that size. Any comments on this track? This is in the PNW so we get very deep snow ranging from heavy to light powder. Mixed conditions are always on the table too, but I have other sleds I can ride when the conditions are less appealing.

Thanks!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Double check your driver pitch. Could be 3.5 if the previous owner flipped the alpha drivers and running an aftermarket track. If it has a Cat powerclaw twin rail track it will be 3.0 pitch.

I rode with a guy a few times this season that had a 155 X3.2 on a Polaris boost and it seemed to grab pretty hard for him.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I had a minor crush on the 3.2", was thinking about it myself. reviews seemed not stellar, kinda mixed. specs looked good on it, kinda wonder if market just wasn't quite there yet. now with the Polaris 3.25, love to see a comparison. I know its a different pitch but also different lug pattern and saw tooth. Interesting camso rates it higher on set up snow than some of their 3" tracks.
Polaris guys seem to form the trend on tracks, 5 years ago they were saying 3" paddle is too much. Its mostly poo guys you will find who'v tried them, not sure the axys has same clearance around drivers as cat?
I almost bought one just cuz you can simply cut the extra .2 off and have the same 3" they are known for, but then its really a lot of wasted time when ya had the OG PC3" to start with. love my PC still. Bulletproof.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I like my 3" PCs but find that in heavy and spring icy conditions they tend to wash where the Camso pattern 3" will still find some traction. I am on the fence about switching to the Camso as I love the PC for 75% of our riding season. I have a spare Camso I keep in case I ruin a track. Reviews on some tracks are biased I find and have run some tracks for years that others said were junk after only 2 weeks of use. I have a 3.5 pitch 175 Camso 2.8 Conquer on my turbo and it works great in powder but all the reviews said it should have fallen apart years ago and performed terrible. Too many sleds. LOL

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I have the same exact sled. NW WA. I’m really happy with the factory 3” PC. Works well in all conditions and after 3000 miles it still looks new

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
If the 3.2 cameo is the same as the one I tried in 2016 don’t bother.

It was junk then. Not sure if they have improved it or not since.

I have been running the Polaris 3.25 on my doo for probably close to 600 miles out of my 1200 total.

It seems pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I wish I had more time on my lynx track. I've loved it thus far but it didn't snow this year. Probably only a hundred miles on it but it's sweet. Flipped alpha drivers, 3.5 pitch, 3 in lug.
One of those miskoka vids shows how chitty the 3.2 Polaris track is. Doos were creeping over the top of a climb and the 3.2s were turning out. Understandably the series 9 Pol track is a different thing than a camo extreme 3.2.
I think a buddy of mine had a early 3.2 and said he lost a bunch of track speed

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Losing track speed is usually a gain in traction when switching tracks. I lost track speed when I switched to a 3" Doo track on my 1000 but it climbed and responded to throttle input better than the PC 3". This is on Ascender not M chassis.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Keep in mind, losing track speed could also be from a lack of clearance, resulting in the tunnel packing in. Lose-lose situation. I'm not sure how Cats are for clearance, but I know it was a problem when people stuffed bigger lugs into Pro and Axys tunnels. The Matryx has more clearance, but if it was designed around the series 8 (2.75"), the 3.25 might be too much. As always, it depends on the snow too: if you're in the marginal tunnel clearance range, one day it might work great, and the next it turns into a dog. Makes me wonder if anyone's tried a trimmed 3.25; apparently the series 7 trimmed 1/4" worked pretty well in the Axys.

J
Jan 6, 2023
PNW
I have the same exact sled. NW WA. I’m really happy with the factory 3” PC. Works well in all conditions and after 3000 miles it still looks new

Yeah man, I think all and all I would prefer the powerclaw, I really like it on my '16, but the price new is ridiculous compared to aftermarket. CountryCat has the 162" PC 3 on sale but the 153" I can't find new for much less than $2k. I suppose I'll keep looking during the summer and see if one pops up.

Premium Features