• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Rider Anxiety

S
Sep 19, 2023
Montana
Hello! So this last season, 22-23 I bought my first snowmobile in early March (22' Axys 850). All spring I was having some issues with overheating, I think I was just going a little slow maybe? On the trail I was consistently 130-150, hit 164 one time. On my last ride though I was hauling ass and almost back to my truck, I looked down and saw I was sitting at like 180 degrees, I instantly shut down and packed snow on, when I started her back up it did its reboot and shot to 195 and started dropping back down pretty quick, i kept it under 140 the last half mile or so but I'm anxious about possible issues popping up this year from it? I don't know if it was a one and done I f×cked it or not

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
It's fine, and pretty standard for riding a mountain sled on a trail. Try to minimize it in the future, but don't lose sleep over it.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
I wouldn't worry about it either, though I'd avoid hitting 180 more than necessary.

That spike to 195 is due to the latent heat build up after killing the motor. If I'm hitting 160s and can't get the temp down from dipping off trail, I'll shovel snow on the coolers like you did, but leave the motor idling to keep the coolant cycling.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
It seems all the manufacturers have "Screwed the Pooch" as they say when it comes to cooling. Two seasons ago we had hardpack conditions of about 8 miles into our riding area. I was riding my "17 Axys 800 with essentially no issues, but it seems everybody riding a Doo or Poo turbo sled with the heat exchangers packed into the front of the tunnel had one hell of a time getting to the snow without several cooldowns, nobody could make it to the snow or back to the rig without several rest stops. In my opinion the older cooling/tunnel designs were superior,

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
this might help a bit but i still have to pull over once and a while on the spring trails to let it cool.

ibex 1.jpg

ibex 2.jpg

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I know a couple guys who went with six scratchers in an effort to solve the problem. They put a scratcher on the inside of each ski and two scratchers on each side of the skid, seems a wee-bit retarded to have to go to such great lengths just so you can ride your $24,000.00 ill designed machine, but hey you do what you gotta do when your manufacturer did not put one thin dime into R&D testing.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm surprised no one mentioned laying the sled over at a 45 degree angle, or just enough to not get traction and grabbing a handful of throttle to spin the snow into the track. Works well if you can find a small patch of pow on the edge of the trail.

Premium Features