• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New gmrs/gps radio

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Btech is selling a FCC type accepted hand held with gmrs, gps, Bluetooth. It can be controlled by your phone and will share gps location as well as text. There are a couple of videos reviews. The best one is by notarubicon on rumble and YouTube.

I have ordered three of these to test and hopefully use in my group. I'll try to post my findings here.
Here is the link to the radio.

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Definitely looks interesting.
I like the USB C charging, less crap to worry about.
Too bad you cant replace the antenna with something longer.
Also shows a 5 week back order.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Ya they're very popular with the licensed gmrs crowd and the preppers. I waited a month for mine.
The antenna is in fact removable. Some of the dedicated/type accepted gmrs radios have had a dab of glue or a set screw to make a weak attempt at preventing antenna removal. This one just screws off normally... The supplied antenna is a fairly good antenna. In fact, I have have tried about 15 different antennas on the cheap Chinese radios and have not seen a noticeable improvement over the one supplied with this radio. I place my radio in the top of my pack and leave the antenna sticking out through the zipper. That has made more difference than any of the antennas.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya they're very popular with the licensed gmrs crowd and the preppers. I waited a month for mine.
The antenna is in fact removable. Some of the dedicated/type accepted gmrs radios have had a dab of glue or a set screw to make a weak attempt at preventing antenna removal. This one just screws off normally... The supplied antenna is a fairly good antenna. In fact, I have have tried about 15 different antennas on the cheap Chinese radios and have not seen a noticeable improvement over the one supplied with this radio. I place my radio in the top of my pack and leave the antenna sticking out through the zipper. That has made more difference than any of the antennas.
you might enjoy this

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I'm using the 19"ish "signal stick". Very thin and very flexible. About $25.

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Any update on the gmrs pro?
They are readily available. Work very well. Random thoughts in no particular order.....
You can control everything on the radio with your phone. Volume, channel, tone. radio will TX its ID & location each time you release the ptt. Others in your group will appear on your phone with direction and distance noted. TX power is a full 5 watts, tested (most of the various cheap Chinese radios are at least 1 watt less than advertised). Bluetooth pairing is easy easy. The only negative is the Mic connector, it requires an adapter cable that btech sells. Battery has about 50% remaining after a typical day of riding. Has a usb c charge port on the back of the battery. I never need to touch the radio during the day. All adjustments can be made via btech app. Radio is about $10 less direct from btech than on amazon. BaofengTech.com

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Have used these radios on the snow a few times now. They work surprisingly well. Audio quality is the best I have heard on any of the low price Chinese radios.
The btech app can record your track.
For the ham guys that may read this.... The gmrs-pro, tuned to 144.39, will receive and display aprs signals. However, we could not get aprs to receive the gmrs-pro.

Premium Features