• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New bike, now need a new kit 2 optiosn

U
Feb 23, 2021
Utah
I just bought a 2017 ktm 450 sxf. My budget is about 4k for the snowbike kit. I have only rode a 137 mountain horse. I like to play and ride the trees, some climbing to stay with my sled friends. The 137 felt a little heavy and long. Right now there is a 2018 or 19 CMX 129 for 4500 with a ktm fit kit and he mentioned the belt upgrade being done.

My other option i am looking at is a 2020 Riot LE with a zbros strut for 3900. I like the idea of wheelie mode and then switching to climbing mode.

Wildcard there is a 2016 129 yeti but is 4 hours away for only 3200 and has the raptor strut, but it seems like the first yetis had issues and brake problems.

I am seriously struggling between the cmx and riot, I like the idea of wheelies, but I sense the cmx might climb better and be an all around assassin, any thoughts would be appreciated

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm a big fan of the riot. It will climb fine when set up properly but the track itself is literally the smallest size available so lighter snow with no base will be it's Achilles heel. I still would not buy an exotic kit with a bigger track. Belt drives and CNC parts just don't magically make things better in the real world but if you find a good deal on one they do work as good as anything else on the used market from what I've seen. If you do want to climb in baseless snow in the trees a 3-in track would be the only real advantage but that would price you out of your budget right now. Don't lose too much sleep over the decision. They all work pretty good and usually comes down to rider skill and line selection if you are being competitive with your buddies.

U
Feb 23, 2021
Utah
Thanks Eric, I guess there is on more option which is to wait for 2020 aro 129 2.5 inch but I guess that would be less playful than the pure riot 120?

B
Nov 29, 2018
I have the yeti 129 and 137. Light is right when I decided on what I want to be picking up while crashing all day. You can convert a 129 to a 137 if you’re looking for deep and light snow performance. I swap mine to a 129 for spring snow conditions.
The brake issue was a recall on my 2018 and the new parts work great.
look it over close, check for cracks in the carbon and especially in the titanium arms. you can get those parts, but you want to get the cost removed from the sale.
most importantly, remember any kit it’s gonna be amazing compared to no kit.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Riot le is a fun kit and does everything pretty well. Cmx 129 might be better for deeper snow and is built bomber. Only other thing is the track on the riot. Pretty much destroyed mine in two seasons. I do ride a lot of rocks/stumps etc. I would stay away from early model yeti’s. Track sucks and they are fragile.

U
Feb 23, 2021
Utah
They are not too far away from each other so I might go look at both, it is nice because the CMX come with a KTM fit kit ready to go, and the riot does already have a soft strut and would only need the partial ktm fit kit to be ready as well

E
Dec 19, 2007
I just noticed the cmx has an idler style adjuster for the main chain. That's a deal breaker no no for me. It makes any gearing changes nearly impossible and sometimes forces you to half to run a 12t or a half link. You might want to ask around for prior owners to see what worked for them. I hate low gearing and your sxf is only a 5 speed

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I just bought a 2017 ktm 450 sxf. My budget is about 4k for the snowbike kit. I have only rode a 137 mountain horse. I like to play and ride the trees, some climbing to stay with my sled friends. The 137 felt a little heavy and long. Right now there is a 2018 or 19 CMX 129 for 4500 with a ktm fit kit and he mentioned the belt upgrade being done.

My other option i am looking at is a 2020 Riot LE with a zbros strut for 3900. I like the idea of wheelie mode and then switching to climbing mode.

Wildcard there is a 2016 129 yeti but is 4 hours away for only 3200 and has the raptor strut, but it seems like the first yetis had issues and brake problems.

I am seriously struggling between the cmx and riot, I like the idea of wheelies, but I sense the cmx might climb better and be an all around assassin, any thoughts would be appreciated
First you picked a great bike! AER forks that year didn't do well in the cold and could calllapse. If you have them serviced they can update the seals to newer ones and they are bullet proof. Depending on your size you can just add air and there isn't a need for a TRIO or custom forks. There are some issues with KTM oil pump gears in that era but other then that your good to go.

Far as kits go this is my opinion. I have owned and or ridden all these on many occasions. I would avoid the 2016 yeti. I may have had the updates but it may not. I don't know enough about the pre 2020 kits to really be a help. Great kits when they work and arn't broken. It wasn't until 2020 that they finally had a bulletproof kit. They are 30+ lbs lighter which is VERY noticeable! That said I pack 3 gallons of gas (20 lbs) and a pelican case (6lbs) with gear/tools (10 lbs). If i just left that stuff at home it would help lol.

Cant go wrong with the riot LE. $3200 is a good price for it as well, depending on condition. I found it wasn't very playful. It will get you around and it will be fun though it just wasn't for me. Even the RIot 3 was kind of a letdown compared to the CMX 129. That said timbersleds have a smoother ride on the trails.

Far as CMX goes I currently own 2 and $4500 is a good price depending on their condition and level of upgrades. CMX kits can be upgraded from year to year so for instance my 2017 kit is up to 2021 specs. I personally like the 120 more but my wife loves the 129. The 129 is unstobable. Its still playful on a 450 but its not gonna wheelie all over the place. Just occasionally when you want it to. The 120 will out climb a 129 2.5 in timbersled all day long on any snow hands down. If you add a little preload to the rear shock the front stays down more. loosen it up and your in play mode. I like mine soft and playful but going up steep hills i have to sit on the gas tank so i an steer.

What to look for: You want the CMX track. Its the 2 overlapping paddle design vs the old 3 lug design like timbersled uses. The 2019 will have it the 2018 should?
You want the 28mm belt drive. 2018 may not have it? When they put the new track on they were breaking the 21mm belts. The 28mm generally don't brake.
CMX ski and spindle, the plastic belt drive cover, new revalved shocks, and the newer chain tensioner are nice upgrades.

Things to check: the eye on the lower end of the front shock for play. Those bushings are what wears out first on mine.
Tunnel cracks at the very end of the side plate.
Bend or cracked gussets near the front of the kit. Generally from impacts. (note a loose chain will contact one of the gussets and thats fine)

Far as buying an "exotic" kit? Not sure how many kits CMX makes every year but its a lot. Belt drive is no joke. Its way more efficient then chain drive which is free HP. My 17 350 xcf on a 120 CMX will out run a 450 ktm on a riot until 3rd gear. Then they leave me lol. CNC means less welds to break and easy repairs when you smash it. Just bolt on new parts. in 2 years I have had CMX overnight me parts several times. (my fault, not theirs) Never an "in stock" issue or cant get someone on the phone. Just call/ text and parts are on their way.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I've never owned a CMX but of the kits you've listed that's probably the one I'd be looking at due to its upgrade potential and solid design. Don't buy the Yeti, the 16 tunnel is solid but the bolts and arms and all the super lightweight stuff tends to fall out or break and the Fox shocks are sh!t IMO. Despite what might be going through your head right now, this won't be your last kit. Buy one and go riding you will find a way to upgrade in the future, I'll put money on it.

M5

U
Feb 23, 2021
Utah
I talked with the CMX guy a little more, it is a 2017 and has the belt upgrade, it also has the two piece overlapping CMX track. He said he is also going to include the upgraded belt drive cover. Not sure about any shock upgrades. Thanks everyone for your help, I think I am going to go with the CMX as long as he doesn’t sell it before I can get up to him. They are a lot harder to find used it seems. My brother in law is looking pretty hard at getting a Riot so I will be able to get some seat time there as well.

I will add some pictures of it on my bike hopefully in a few days

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I talked with the CMX guy a little more, it is a 2017 and has the belt upgrade, it also has the two piece overlapping CMX track. He said he is also going to include the upgraded belt drive cover. Not sure about any shock upgrades. Thanks everyone for your help, I think I am going to go with the CMX as long as he doesn’t sell it before I can get up to him. They are a lot harder to find used it seems. My brother in law is looking pretty hard at getting a Riot so I will be able to get some seat time there as well.

I will add some pictures of it on my bike hopefully in a few days
If you have questions about it or issues with suspension tuning/handleing ask a CMX guy or call CMX directly. They are kinda touchy. If you ever want to upgrade the shocks you can send them to back to CMX and they will upgrade/redo valving. Think it was $300 for the pair? or something. Wasn't to bad.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I'm probably too late, but of the two kits listed I'd go with the Riot. If you find that the deep snow or climbing performance isn't quite what you want you can always add a 3" track.
Don’t think a 3” will fit. Does anyone make a 120 3”?
Riot is a good kit though.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I had a 2019 Aro 120SX. I was told that there isn't enough room between the driveshaft and the tunnel to convert to a 3" paddle. Instead I went to a 129" CMX track by adding rail extensions.

I am not sure what year that RIOT kit is or all the particulars, but I dont think you can convert a 2.5" track to a 3".

Premium Features