• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help attaching hot grips

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
OK, I bought some motorcycle heated grips for the Hawk, and they are a tad bit too big. They will work, I just need something to fill the small amount of gap between the grips and the bar. Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is friction tape...but will I be able to slide the grip over it and still have it stick?

I have never had this issue before. Normally the issue is getting the grip on the bar as the grips are too tight.

Any help is appreciated.

AkBillyBow

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ski Doo had some problems with handwarmers on aluminum bars and they have used a cork type tape! Works great at holding the heat and may fill the gap you have! Maybe something similiar at the hardware store also...

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Thanks for the replies. I did not buy the Hot Grip brand, as I was looking for something softer. I have used / applied many hot grip brand grips before, and they are always snug but with a little lube they slide on and they are on for good.

I am concerned that any kind of wrap on the bars will not allow the grips to slide on. Can I use a wrap (like the cork wrap mentioned) and lube the wrap, so the grip will slide on without messing it up?

The big concern, of course, is with the twist throttle that grip needs to hold well, or it will slip and I'll have no throttle.

Thanks...AkBillyBow

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Make sure you handlebars are clean as well as the inside of the grip. If an air hose wont let you slide them over try some aerosol hairspray as it dry sticky. This may help them slide over the tighter fit. An airhose is always my best bet with grips...

A
Dec 24, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I don't have a tight fit....that is the problem. I have applied many grips that fit tight...but these are loose. You can slide them onto the bar and bottom them out with no problem, and even have a little wiggle room back and forth.

Last night I mixed up some 2-part epoxy and applied them. We will see how it works. I am giving them a full 24 hours of curing time before I mess with them.

Thanks...AkBillyBow

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Go to the skidoo dealer and get some of the cork, they call it "isolent" as it is intended to isolate the element from the aluminium bar. It will work.

Premium Features