• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Leatham Landing" cabin in Wakefield MI, BAD experience, owner not very professional

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
"Leatham Landing" cabin in Wakefield MI, BAD experience, owner not very professional

Heres the deal. We had a cabin booked....."Grandpas place" but it was canceled by him due to a septic problem, so we scrambled to rent 1 or 2 cabins for all the guys we had. I found "Leatham Landing" on the net and call the owner. Sounded and looked on the website to be ok. So we booked it.
We show up Thursday night kinda late. The walkway from the road to the house was not even shoveled. It looked like 2 people had walked down it all winter. We were like "NICE". Then we get inside and it was so bad with propane smell we had to open it all up and let it air out. The next day we all woke up with headaches (i assume from the propane). Started making breakfast, i opened the coffee maker to add a filter and grounds only to see old **** all moldy in there from before. Got that all cleaned up, but while trying to do that noticed there was no hot water. So we headed to the basement for figure out what was up there. We had to fix the water heater so we could take showers and wash dishes. After breakfast we went out to start up the sleds and noticed there was a snow blower in the shed (i assume thats the "full size garage that was being advertizing on the website that was available to use while we were there). So after a day of riding only to have 1 guy blow a motor we returned. Next day the guy with the blown motor decides he will blow out the walk and such. He had to add oil and tune up the carb just to get it to run, then he went to town doing what should have been done before we arrived.
The electrical work in the bathroom was quite scary as well, there was a buzzing noise from the light fixture every now and again and the light would go dim and it smelled like electrical stuff when it burns. Very uncool!
So when i arrived home, i contacted the owner via email (since the phone thing wasnt working....no asnwer ever time i tried) let them know we had fun and that we took care of a few things while we were there. I tried to be as nice as possible in my first email and not come across as a jerk.

My first email after arriving home:
"Hi
Just got back. Sledding was fun. Just so you know, washed the mold out of the filter holder on the coffee pot, repaired your snowblower and snowblowed the walk down from the road(it was not even shoveled when we arrived), Fixed the hot water heater, your out of screw in fuses in the basement by the way, and the door to the closet in the upstair bedroom already had the lock broken when we arrived. We did not do that.
Things you may want to consider, a shower curtain the is full length to prevent all the water from go out onto the floor, fixing the electrical in the bathroom...the light fixture makes arcing noises and the light bulb goes dim for a second while it does it, hiring someone to plow AND shovel the walk to the house. Thank you Please don’t take any of this in the wrong way, we had a good time and the house was good, we were just a bit surprised about some of the little things."

The response i got back:
"WOW! I thought my 2yr old and my 4yr old were needy. Don't take this the wrong way....but please loose me email address."
It got worse with every email that was replied to me. Just some of the quotes from the replies."F'ing bit$h" and "Sorry i wasn't there to wipe your A$$es"

I wouldnt recommend this place to anyone after seeing just how nonprofessional the owners are.

Just wanted to share so others dont get screwed out of 350 bucks like we did.

Premium Features