• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is 24 the last year for the 850???

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I think stroke would give them

It is hard to believe they will keep the Pro and Khaos too as those models could be handled with one model with just a snowcheck suspension option.
Very true now it's just shocks and limter strap!

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Polaris needs to streamline the RMK product line for sure! Way way to many variables that kill production speed I bet. Only way I see the 850 going away anytime soon is with a more modern engine with direct fuel injection.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Polaris needs to streamline the RMK product line for sure! Way way to many variables that kill production speed I bet. Only way I see the 850 going away anytime soon is with a more modern engine with direct fuel injection.
A friend of mine worked for BRP and they pulled an Axys apart to see how Polaris got them so light. (a couple years back) They said the motors were 7 lbs lighter because they did not have the voice coils and cooling of the ECU. Now Polaris runs so good I don't want DI, especially when DI has not been able to support high horse power like on the turbo models. Do had to ditch the idea of having 100% DI motors for their turbo. Old school dirty fueling injectors is what they went with. ;)

C
Dec 14, 2020

Direct injection has its downside. Mostly the fuel timing. Needs better computers or just to run pig rich under boost. Very unforgiving when the air isn't helping pull fuel into the cylinder.

Ford hasn't even gotten it right yet on the Ecoboost. Damn things smoke like a chimney under high boost to keep from detonating and cracking pistons.

KTM just went from a direct injection to a throttle body injection on their 2t. More horsepower and easier to tune. They backed it up by having more hp stock.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Direct injection has its downside. Mostly the fuel timing. Needs better computers or just to run pig rich under boost. Very unforgiving when the air isn't helping pull fuel into the cylinder.

Ford hasn't even gotten it right yet on the Ecoboost. Damn things smoke like a chimney under high boost to keep from detonating and cracking pistons.

KTM just went from a direct injection to a throttle body injection on their 2t. More horsepower and easier to tune. They backed it up by having more hp stock.
Ktm was using transfer port injection just like Polaris has since 2007.

No direct injection ktm unicorns out there. ?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
All it will take for you to look at a 900 is if 850's pricing climbed to just under the 900 price. I wish it was that the 900 came down but this won't happen unless Ski-doo gives them pricing pressure somehow.
I agree that Polaris is charging a premium price on the 900 because they can, not so much because it's an expensive motor to build - unless I'm missing something. Where it may cost Polaris more is if the failure rate is significantly higher, but if it were bad enough to account for $3000 more, this place would be crawling with angry 900 buyers. For my money at least, the 900 has to be in the same ballpark as the 850 in reliability/durability, and we probably can't judge that until it's been in the wild for a couple seasons. If I were buying a sled today, the 900 wouldn't be worth another $3000 - in fact I might pass even if the price were the same. I'd like to think it matches the 850, but I doubt it, plus I'd be left with the question of whether to pay yet more money to get the better clutch...

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
"Solid" may be debatable at times. Out of 4 Polaris 840s in our group, two blew up. The second one after only 9 miles.
Ya. I guess so. Out of the 6 in our group we’ve had zero issues except fouled plugs. The 19’s seem to have issues but anything after 20’ are good. I’m not talking boosted sleds….just n/a.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
My buddies bone stock with a can ‘22 matryx 850 blew up a couple weeks ago with just over 600 miles. So it’s not just the ‘19’s that fail.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Which years?

The 19s they traced back to 1 assembler installing the main bearings wrong if I remember correctly.

First one was a 2020 that blew within a month. Latest one that got 9 miles was a 2023.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
We had 3 850's going down in our group a 19 and two 22's all three were do too blocked oil lines. From the factory.

Snowman10

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
1,800 miles on my 2019 RMK Pro 850 with a Boondocker Turbo, cut tunnel and the only thing that I have replaced is the primary clutch and the occasional A-arm (knock on wood).

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Not all sleds run well, no matter the manufacturer or engine displacement.

840 Patriot has proven to be a good engine. But yes, the ones that fail cast doubt over all aspects of engineering and manufacturing/assembling.

I'm thinking a lightweight adaptation of the 850 (maybe it's an H.O. model) will continue to be available to the masses. Lightweight crank and flywheel, etc. at a lower price than the 9R.

And for goodness sake, can we get a clutch that runs well? P-24 or 25?

@m

C
Dec 14, 2020
We had 3 850's going down in our group a 19 and two 22's all three were do too blocked oil lines. From the factory.

Well, hate to say it but the lack of oil is not a failure of the motor. Engine failure was a symptom of the problem.

It's a massive failure on Polaris quality control.

But if you block the oil lines on any engine, it will not run long.

Premium Features