• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IS 2024 going to be worth the wait?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I agree the doo has wicked throttle response but an 18 800 axys with a Silber turbo has better throttle response than the boost does without even having the advantage of the reed cages in the airbox. Polaris really needs to trim back the fuel coming off idle to clean up the bottom end. It's hard to understand why they won't clean up that area of the mapping.
I think they were afraid of having to warranty too many engines. They will probably clean it up even more next year. I think the prototypes they had at the end of 21 were running very close to the mapping they have now. Everyone I know that rode the prototypes Burandt had said they ran way better than any of the factory sleds. They are playing with their money so they favor the rich side.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I think they were afraid of having to warranty too many engines. They will probably clean it up even more next year. I think the prototypes they had at the end of 21 were running very close to the mapping they have now. Everyone I know that rode the prototypes Burandt had said they ran way better than any of the factory sleds. They are playing with their money so they favor the rich side.

The spring ‘21 Proto’s ran way better than the ‘22/‘23’s.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
For the time being, I ride previous-gen sleds and I'm my own warranty and service department. You do have to be "rich" to ride if you insist on only the latest sled and riding every weekend - unless you're fine with spending more on sledding than your house. It sucks too, that to keep your sledding budget at what it was pre-plademic, you'd have to cut a third of your riding. To add fuel to that fire, it seems more and more that "durable" means a majority sleds make it it off warranty before they blow, and most energy is focused on trinkets like big bores and explodamatic clutches. I'll be a lot more likely to stick with Polaris if they shift to making stuff that works out of the box and that'll last for '24. I'm not set on riding patched over sleds - in fact, my next sled may be bought new, but only if I can get five years of primary use out of it with no major failures, and some life left over. Right now, that's iffy from any manufacturer - not because it has to be, but because we accept it.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
That's the point: you can be a median income earner and still ride a new sled hauled around in a nice trailer behind a new truck... if you don't mind living in a shanty. More Americans than not are basically broke; the all-too-common suggestion that they need to ride a new sled to enjoy the sport (and believe me, I'm not trying to single anyone out here), or that they're not working hard enough, doesn't do anyone any good. It's understandable that sleds are getting more expensive along with everything else, but also getting more unreliable and sometimes broke from the factory on top of that is a real kick in the teeth.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That's the point: you can be a median income earner and still ride a new sled hauled around in a nice trailer behind a new truck... if you don't mind living in a shanty. More Americans than not are basically broke; the all-too-common suggestion that they need to ride a new sled to enjoy the sport (and believe me, I'm not trying to single anyone out here), or that they're not working hard enough, doesn't do anyone any good. It's understandable that sleds are getting more expensive along with everything else, but also getting more unreliable and sometimes broke from the factory on top of that is a real kick in the teeth.
They are more reliable than they have ever been. Haven't been on a rope in years. Was on a rope or someone in our group, alot years ago. The last time i was on a rope was the typical big bore experience.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've owned fewer machines, but it's been the opposite for me, and I'm not the only one. I'm still logging miles on my old 600 - original engine, and it's never been towed. My Pro, with just a few more miles, is effectively on its third engine (having recently blown a piston on a professionally built long rod setup). It's probably plandemic-related, but I hear more complaints about new sleds than ever - from glitchy stuff to engines going down (people I know, not just the internet). I'd agree things were generally getting better until the last couple years, but even putting aside the crummy parts and supply chain issues, I'm not enthused by the 9R or P-22. Too bad for Polaris; they'd been improving with the 800 HO and 850.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I've owned fewer machines, but it's been the opposite for me, and I'm not the only one. I'm still logging miles on my old 600 - original engine, and it's never been towed. My Pro, with just a few more miles, is effectively on its third engine (having recently blown a piston on a professionally built long rod setup). It's probably plandemic-related, but I hear more complaints about new sleds than ever - from glitchy stuff to engines going down (people I know, not just the internet). I'd agree things were generally getting better until the last couple years, but even putting aside the crummy parts and supply chain issues, I'm not enthused by the 9R or P-22. Too bad for Polaris; they'd been improving with the 800 HO and 850.
You can not be enthused all you want. But to say that the new junk won't make you a better, more capable rider, you would have to be a fool. I've had 600 trouble free miles on my Boost and 9R. It's worth rolling the dice to have the latest and greatest. Life and the season is too short to be riding old junk.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I never said anything about riding capability, but no, a new sled won't make you a better rider. It'll take you further or require less effort, but that has nothing to do with skill. Sorry to hear you can't have fun on old junk. Call me when you get to 4800 miles on your 9R without opening the motor.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I'm stuck in this boat too. Trying to decide if I buy flashed 2022, 2023 boost, or G5... decisions decisions. Thought I had a 2022 doo locked up, but seller stopped responding LOL. Unsure if I want to even bother going 2021 or 2022 doo turbo

The track speed difference between the 22 Turbo doo and the 23 Turbo doo makes the decision easy. The 23 Turbo doo will pull lines that the 22 Turbo doo will take a few runs at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
You can not be enthused all you want. But to say that the new junk won't make you a better, more capable rider, you would have to be a fool. I've had 600 trouble free miles on my Boost and 9R. It's worth rolling the dice to have the latest and greatest. Life and the season is too short to be riding old junk.
Agreed - I'm getting older and so is my wife - how many more years can we ride hard? When we are doomed to stick to the trails I'll probably get a 4 stroke cadillac. But until then we'll keep pushing to get new stuff. Life is short - eat dessert first!

Premium Features