• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023/2024 Prediction

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You can always find something stupid to put it on to up the fun meter. I almost wrecked hers once this year. Slid it off the hill sideways and came to a stop a couple feet from the trees. Walked right out from there. Oh man would she have been impressed.

J
Nov 27, 2016
please !!!
new ski rubber
new throttle without the problem of always froze
new ice scratcher
fox suspension with snowcheck
always less weight I love that
easy to fix !!!!
Please haha

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What a bunch of woke crybabies. For years, these forums were full of experts repeatedly begging for factory big bores and turbos, who stated they’d gladly give up warranty and who would have no problem placing $20k down on the counter for said machine. This was 10 years ago.

Polaris is now delivering on what we all said wanted and yet, the goal posts moved. Maybe you guys should just give up on sleds. I’m not sure Polaris’ continued failures and your disappointment is good for your health.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
What a bunch of woke crybabies. For years, these forums were full of experts repeatedly begging for factory big bores and turbos, who stated they’d gladly give up warranty and who would have no problem placing $20k down on the counter for said machine. This was 10 years ago.

Polaris is now delivering on what we all said wanted and yet, the goal posts moved. Maybe you guys should just give up on sleds. I’m not sure Polaris’ continued failures and your disappointment is good for your health.
Says the guy who is riding an antique Axys because he couldn't afford a Boost Matryx ?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

More disappointment is available on the Arctic Cat forums if anyone needs it.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
800 Dragon 277 miles
800 Pro 377 miles
Cat’s, 300 hours, 1000 hours, and yes 16 hours.

It’s unrealistic to expect anything mechanical or electrical to not fail.
I didn't say anything about not failing. As a rule big bores aren't the most reliable. Probably most reliable sled i had was a 09 turbo m8. Diamond drive was the only bad thing.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I'm nowhere near good enough to outride a 9R, or Boost.. thinking my next sled will be a Khaos 850 Slash with PIDD. Although with an almost new set of Raptor Kinetics on my Axys, be hard pressed not to save a few bucks,
get the Slash Pro, and toss the Raptors on it, instead.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I'm nowhere near good enough to outride a 9R, or Boost.. thinking my next sled will be a Khaos 850 Slash with PIDD. Although with an almost new set of Raptor Kinetics on my Axys, be hard pressed not to save a few bucks,
get the Slash Pro, and toss the Raptors on it, instead.
U will love a 65 khoas, i wont buy a pro anymore. I had 3 pros. The khoas is soooo much easier to ride and easier on the shoulders at the end of the day. The 850 is a beast and youll love it. I ordered a 9r but its cause i ride mostly with tbos but my 23 850 65 did not disappoint me

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
800 Dragon 277 miles
800 Pro 377 miles
Cat’s, 300 hours, 1000 hours, and yes 16 hours.

It’s unrealistic to expect anything mechanical or electrical to not fail.

For sure, but expectations are growing. For example. Look at supercars, mostly hand built, like snowmobiles. Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, McClaren. Years they have been high performance, sleek and sexy. Also the most unreliable autos on the street with a high cost of ownership after purchase. None of them had the potential to be a daily driver until Audi bought Lamborghini and had a huge impact on their quality control. The Gallardo quickly became a reliable car that you could daily drive and Lamborghini needed it to try and compete with Porsche. Fiat now owns part of Ferrari (50%), while one would hope their reliability would improve it has not made such great strides. McLaren, still the top most unreliable exotics out there with the highest cost of ownership next to Bugatti. Both simply need break standing still as their fuel tanks need to be replaced something like every 3-5 years, wheels microfracture at over $20k each etc. Honestly, I have been a exotic car far for awhile and knowing what I know and where I live, I would never buy one. I would maybe buy a Porche if I lived in a big city with a dealer but I really don't like being around that many people. Especially these days.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I've said this before.

I would be happy if Doo and Poo made no significant changes for 2-3 years and just improved quality and reliability. I'd be very happy if they just did that and nothing else!

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Going to the exotic car comparison, some people did drive them a lot more than the average owner. The vast majority of Ferraris, Porsches, and such are garage queens, but not all of them. I have an uncle who drove a Porsche for several years before he got married and moved on (and this was the early 70s). Porsche tends to be less "ragged edge" than other exotic makes (especially some vintages of Italian cars), but still, people found ways to make even cranky Italian cars work on a daily basis. It's very similar to some of the "garbage" sleds we've seen over the years: most of them could be turned into pretty reliable machines if their flaws were addressed.

That said, I'm not interested in buying a product I can't be confident in. There's nothing inherent to a performance two-stroke that makes it a time bomb, and we shouldn't accept that. Things have generally gotten better, but I can't ignore ongoing premature failures with the 850 (though the rate doesn't seem terrible after '19), the series 8 drive mess, or the head-smacking decision to use a garbage fuel strainer on the Boost.

For my purposes, I'd rather pay an extra $500 or lose 5 HP if it means going from, say, 5% to 1% failure rate. I'm not sure what the actual premature failure rates are, but it's way more than 1%. I understand other people prefer to push the envelope, and that's fine, but I sometimes feel like Polaris is only interested in catering to that market. The 9R is a perfect example: bigger pistons combined with a lighter rotating assembly simply isn't going to last as long and be as reliable. I think most of the people buying it know what they're getting into, but unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat, I may never be interested in that motor, and even the 850 has ground to gain.

My current sled ('12 Pro) is a flawed Polaris product that's been fixed and sorted, at a cost I estimate around $6000 (most was done before I bought it). All the improvements (long rod motor, added cooler, thermostat upgrade, fully-balanced and re-machined clutch, tunnel reinforcements, running boards, among others) could have been built into the sled by Polaris for an added cost of maybe $1500. But between accounting decisions and gunning for dry weight figures, that never happened. Believe me, I want light weight, and it would be nice not to see any more price escalation (fat chance), but I ride on whatever snow I can, my sled takes a tumble now and then, and I need it to stay cool and not bend and break more than I need to save a little money or 10lbs. My "worth it" meter when it comes to buying a new sled over upgrading to a used AXYS doesn't move nearly as much if I can't be certain I'm getting something at least as reliable as what I'm riding now. And that's doubtful. I'm with @NHRoadking: I'd be more likely to buy a new sled a couple years down the road if they can take what they have now and make it dead-reliable (obviously realizing 0% failure rate is impossible) than I am a 950 turbo with fricken laser beams.

Premium Features