• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Sport 440 rear suspension ''froze'' need help

F
Jan 17, 2024
michigan
So i have a 95 Polaris Indy Sport 440. the rear suspension has been stuck ever since I bought it. I can pick the rear of the sled up and throw it down and nothing will move. When riding, the suspension doesn't move at all, just stays in one place the whole time no matter how big the bumps are. I took the rear shock out and the suspension will move up and down then, but when i re install the shock, it goes back to being stiff. Put a brand new shock in and no difference. Don't know if this has to do with the torsion springs or not or if i might have to pull the skid, kinda stuck at what to do here.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If it moves with the shock off, it sounds like the shock mount might have it jammed. ID the suspension type and see if you can find a diagram, or post here, and see if any linkages are not in the proper form.
When you get time, it likely wouldn't hurt to pull the skid completely out, pull the pivot rods out and give them a good clean & grease and reassemble. The side seals on the bogey bearings can be gingerly removed, clean and grease the bearing rollers and reassemble.

F
Jan 17, 2024
michigan
Pulled the skid and disassembled it and greased it up good. Put it back in and the front part of the skid does work fine, the back (scissor block) works as well but there is only about 2 inches of shock travel before it bottoms out. When i get home i will take pics but im starting to think the 30 year old torsion springs are shot.

F
Jan 17, 2024
michigan
There is only 2 inches of the shock piston visible when no one is on the sled. I can get the suspension to max out if I jump on the rear bumper, but the suspension won't move at all on the trails no matter how big the bumps are.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
It all looks right. When you tighten the spring bolts, you are making the springs stiffer which makes it harder to compress. let them all the way out and see what happens. it could have been set up for a large person. If the springs where shot, the suspension would be soft. Usually a spring breaks before it gets soft in my experience. Looks like the sissor has has been moved back, which would stiffen it up some as well

F
Jan 17, 2024
michigan
Ya I moved it back a position but I think I will put it back forward to the lightest position and try playing with the spring tension. If that doesn't help I'll probably just deal with it and try and find a liquid 440 or an XLT. There was a mint rxl for sale local for only 600 bucks at the beginning of the season, I should have taken it, although I assume carbs would be better than that ancient efi system.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The upper suspension limit stop is not in contact on the back of the scissor arm. Something is limiting the travel. It sounded like you had more travel with the shock removed.

IMG_0400.jpeg

Premium Features