• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to test voltage regulator and stator?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I'm working on a 2013 800 that has low voltage at idle, but comes back to normal once the engine is rev'ed up. How can I test the voltage regulator and stator? I have a good multimeter & know how to use it.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I replaced the stater ones. I called the stator repair shop and asked how to tested, and they said the only true test was actually on their testing workbench. My main sign of an issue was putting a lot of load on it, and it would spit and sputter. Sent it in to get rebuilt, and it worked great after. They can give you some ohm readings to take, but it is no guarantee. My ohm readings were within tolerance, but it was bad.

R
When I thought I had that issue with my 14 HCR, I tested with several multi meters. No matter what I did, I never got really any results, I knew they weren't right. Took it out, took it to a dealer and it tested perfect. But I had ordered a new one and put it in anyways. There can problems within the coils, you would never know.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I'm working on a 2013 800 that has low voltage at idle, but comes back to normal once the engine is rev'ed up. How can I test the voltage regulator and stator? I have a good multimeter & know how to use it.
What is the idle speed at and how much do you need to rev it up to be back to normal? I would run the idle around 2000 rpm +- 200

Premium Features