• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to split the driving cost!

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
What's everyone's take on splitting up the cost of driving out west? Our group has a solution that has been working in the past but we are looking to see if we can make it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
For 21 years I trailed 10,000-20,000 miles a season. I never had a time when the truck owner didnt help pay, Instead we all took turns taking our trucks and trailers. 90% of the time all truck fuel was split up equally between all the guys. Everyone paid for the gas in their own sled. Seemed to work out well for the 40-50 different guys I went on trips with in that time.
If what your doing works, keep doing it. Eric

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Divide fuel by number of people on trip evenly. I would not expect to ride for free just cause we took my vehicle, that sounds like a dick move to do

I am the one in the group that suggested this method because it was always the same people that ended up driving.
I felt it was not right for them to absorb the vehicle depreciation as well as paying for fuel.

One year when I drove my windshield got a crack....there went the money I would have paid for fuel.

I would gladly pay more than my share & leave my rig sit at home.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
My rig is 99% the one on the road. Mostly because I have ADDHD and have to be doing something all the time! That and most people dont like me driving the hell outta there rides. We usually take turns fuelin up truck, i usually toss a couple extra tanks in myself on big trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Our trips usually total around 1800 to 2000 miles there and back. We use the alternate tank method and make sure it comes out even in the end. I look at the wear and tear like this, I figure I'm going regardless so it's just nice to have a couple others that'll help me pay for fuel.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
We split up the costs down to the cent. Every trip we alternate whose truck we're taking to equal out the depreciation and wear and tear. Simple and works.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
There are four of us in our group. My truck and my enclosed trailer. I take the cost of gas, oil change, tire rotation, and a truck wash and divide it up by four.

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Years ago when diesel and gas was cheap the truck/trailer provider did not pay for truck fuel.

Now we all agree on an estimated amount based on MPG and fuel costs. Everyone contributes the same amount and what ever is left over at the end goes to the rig providers. Usually ends up with 60-100 bucks.

I offered up to drive and trailer years ago when I saw what my sled would be riding on and what I would be riding in. unfortunately not everyone maintains there vehicles the same.

Have seen too many times, the night before or day of leaving trailers that have not brakes or tires that are dry rotted ready to blow.

Seems to work well. We can do most of our trips for 600-700 for a week per person and that includes all truck/sled fuel, food, liquor and lodging.

J

JDToys

Dec 16, 2007
Truck and trailer expense

We do four trips a season to Centennial, Wy with eight guys. Driver gets $150.00 from three riders. Buy 190 gals of premium in Laramie, food for four days, truck fuel and lodging and divide by eight. This year the average is around $400.00. We have eight trucks and four enclosed car haulers to choose from which is great. Each driver is still making a $400.00 donation towards the real expense for a truck and trailer.

Dec 17, 2013
Interesting to hear of so many different ways this is being handled. The trips I've been on we split all costs (fuel, lodging, group food) by number in the group down to the penny, including truck and trailer owner. At the end of the trip, we give the owner of the truck/ trailer some extra cash to cover wear/ tear. Usually around $40 each.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
I'm coming from the perspective of an owner of Truck and Trailer.

I make sure that the truck and trailer are all ready to go before the trip - all maintenance done, fluids, tires checked and replaced as necessary, brakes, etc. I then fill up the truck.

The rest of the trip the passengers pay for fuel. Some time I have some fuel left when we get home (of original take I purchased), sometime I don't have much.

Our trips are ~2K RT. Last year the cost was about $650 for fuel. This year was ~$500 (not including my first tank). Divide by 3 or 4 is only $40-60 difference per person.

I'm guessing most on here don't own the truck/trailer. There is a huge amount of maintenance that goes into keeping them going. I'd gladly pay 40-60 more per trip for someone else to incur the wear and tear, but no one else has a rig.

It is also better than hoping I get a few bucks at the end of the trip to clean interior and was exteriors. There is never money left at the end of a trip :)

Oh yeah...also - "my truck/trailer, my rules". I load sleds, etc.

It works well for us. I've only had one complaint and that was from a guy who had a truck and trailer. He chooses to split between everyone vs 3 (good for him). Saying we'll all take turns. This can work if all the same crew and all have rigs. Funny how I've not seen him/ridden with him for 3 years x 6 trips.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i fill the truck up and usually have my own sled filled up. lately a buddy has been filling my sled up for me which has been nice. if someone throws in a 20 for fuel thats cool, but typically it doesnt come close to covering fuel. but like others said i figure im going riding anyways so i would pay for fuel regardless.

Divide fuel by number of people on trip evenly. I would not expect to ride for free just cause we took my vehicle, that sounds like a dick move to do

while i dont expect to ride for free the truck owner would still be behind if he paid a tow rif that is used only for sledding/rzr hauling), trailer insurance, trailer tires, propane in the heater etc .... it adds up so quick i dont like to think about it. so again i dont expect to ride for free but i dont see how spending 60-70k plus continual maintenance then not paying fuel on top is a dick move???

Premium Features