• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmet Advice ???????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I’ve been looking at upgrading helmets and need some advice. Currently, I’m running an HJC with a breach box, Scott goggles and most always a balaclava. No issues or problems with this setup, I’m just looking to upgrade to a better and newer helmet.

One of the issues that keeps coming up is the issue of breath boxes or breath deflectors and the lack of. I’ve always utilized a breath box but a lot of the new helmets either do not come with one or they just do not fit the best.

I’ve looked at the 509’s but they really have mixed reviews and the reoccurring concern is that they are an AFX helmet with fancy paint, but they seem to marry up nice with 509 goggles. Plus they come with a breath box.

As far as the Klim, most guys like them but almost everyone states they are a “cooler” helmet with large vents. I ride the Midwest and the mountains and don’t want a cold helmet either.

Carbon HJC has limited reviews but those who have one seem to like them. They also have a breath box made by HJC.

Troy Lee Design and the Fly Carbon are mentioned quite a bit and seem to have really good reviews but no breath box.
Scott also has a pretty decent looking helmet but they have limited reviews as well.

Any others I missed worth mentioning?????

For those of you that ride without a breath box, how is it in the cold and how is the fogging? My current set up seals up great and I have no fogging issues what so ever. I just want to make the upgrade a real upgrade and avoid stepping backwards.

Any and all advice!!

Last edited:
F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
shoei VFX-W comes with a breath deflector/rock guard. They are an awesome premium helmet. I love mine. Its not too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. Goggles don't fog any more than any other lid i've ever had.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
shoei VFX-W comes with a breath deflector/rock guard. They are an awesome premium helmet. I love mine. Its not too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. Goggles don't fog any more than any other lid i've ever had.

I knew I would forget one, actually two Shoei and Bell.

N
Dec 17, 2010
Chico, CA
I ride with a Fly Carbon helmet and Scott 89Xi goggles and have absolutely 0 fogging issues. The first day I rode with the goggles I didn't use the wind deflector and my nose got quite cold. (granted it was one of the colder days I've ridden) Put the wind deflector back on and trimmed it so it would fit into the helmet and it works wonders now.

I wear a cheap head sock to help keep my head warm, it usually ends up soaking up a bunch of water from breathing though, so a proper balaclava and I would see improvement.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
I have a 661 flight II I really like it. My goggles fog every once in a while, but its probably just my goggles. They are pretty reasonably priced and have some sweet designs. Here is the web site if you want to check them out. www.sixsixone.com

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I ride with a Fly Carbon helmet and Scott 89Xi goggles and have absolutely 0 fogging issues. The first day I rode with the goggles I didn't use the wind deflector and my nose got quite cold. (granted it was one of the colder days I've ridden) Put the wind deflector back on and trimmed it so it would fit into the helmet and it works wonders now.

I wear a cheap head sock to help keep my head warm, it usually ends up soaking up a bunch of water from breathing though, so a proper balaclava and I would see improvement.

I assume with your set up you do not run a breath deflector or breath box?? I looked at the Fox helmets, they look pretty good and price isn't to bad either.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Anyone recommend a good dealer to purchase Fox helmets from ?????

Premium Features