• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 5 turbo clutch noise?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Problem solved. It grinded and shuttered on a very technical and step side hill yesterday. Now the insurance company will own it. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Care to elaborate on what actually happened, I’m wondering if your clutch was loose on the taper now.
If this was the cause of your accident, the manufacturer should be talking care of you, not your insurance. Sounds like a safety thing that the manufacturer should be notified on.

T
Dec 25, 2022
Idaho
It made The grinding noise and shuddering like it has been since it was new. All you have to do is burp the throttle and then it would stop. Except for this time I was in a situation where you couldn't burp it. I'm meeting the insurance adjuster with my agent at the local dealer after work. I did have it in at the dealer once and they couldn't make it do it on a lift and said everything looked good.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
buddy’s sled sounded like your description and we knew it was the secondary rollers which look like butterscotch candies and are as about as durable. I replace those right away and since doo’s clutching still leaves a lot to be desired so my sleds get an iBackshift clutch kit as well. I know all this doesn’t help you now but I hope you get quick resolution and don’t miss any more of the season than you have to.
good luck.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The riding and clutch has grinded to a halt and please post a pic or two of the carnage. This is exciting!

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It made The grinding noise and shuddering like it has been since it was new. All you have to do is burp the throttle and then it would stop. Except for this time I was in a situation where you couldn't burp it. I'm meeting the insurance adjuster with my agent at the local dealer after work. I did have it in at the dealer once and they couldn't make it do it on a lift and said everything looked good.

****ty deal dude. I would love for the dealer and manufacturer to get involved with your case, and the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Jan 26, 2013
Which one is the skepticism emoji? Going to be difficult at best to say the manufacturer made your sled ghost ride down a hill. Accident insurance is for what again.. accidents good luck sir I hope you salvage your season somehow ?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If it was like the Muskoka video noise, I recognized that right away. It’s when the belt is down in the secondary…even a small amount…and the primary engages. Basically starting out in a taller ratio so you get belt slip/ratchet. Much more common with turbo’s that upshift quickly and without an adequate amount of revolutions of the secondary, the belt cannot physically work it’s way to the top of the secondary… if that makes sense?
A weakness of a CVT…it has to have revolutions of the track to allow the belt to rise in the secondary. A quick blip of the throttle brings the belt down…then hit the brake or just let off the throttle without allowing the track to spin means the belt will remain down in the secondary. Not just a Doo issue, goes for all CVT’s.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
My patriot boost and 3 others would do this in Handle bar deep snow. I did the roller bearing in the secondary and it helped. I have never seen them for the skidoo though

Premium Features