• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin inReach SOS: What REALLY Happens (And What Might Not)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

I share some valuable insights regarding the different variables involved in backcountry searches when you use your Garmin inReach or ZOLEO SOS. It's crucial to understand the dynamic nature of wilderness environments and how factors like terrain conditions and weather can significantly impact search operations. By being aware of these variables, we can make more informed decisions when exploring remote areas with our Garmin inReach SOS devices. Moreover, the video emphasizes the variability in quality of backcountry search teams who are tasked with your successful rescue. Armed with this knowledge, you can embark on our backcountry adventures with a heightened sense of confidence, knowing that you have vital information about backcountry searches and the essential elements that contribute to your safety.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
@christopher - May be a good time to repost the thread I sent you regarding the interaction I had with IERCC back in March 2023 and insurance using a Garmin device.
Delete if not allowed....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
@christopher - May be a good time to repost the thread I sent you regarding the interaction I had with IERCC back in March 2023 and insurance using a Garmin device.
Delete if not allowed....

Always Allowed
And by all means DO SO!!

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
I read my Overwatch and Rescue Terms and Conditions. It says right up front that it is NOT insurance, but is an assistance plan. From there, it goes downhill. Its main focus is to be a coordinating agency, deferring to SAR for everything. As far as its funded benefit, in "hazardous winter events" (outside organized areas like ski areas or a commercial riding park), if SAR coordinating services are given before the need for medical advise/assistance is initiated, all you get is SAR benefit:

"the fully funded assistance benefit will be limited to either search & rescue expenses or medically necessary evacuation
to nearest appropriate hospital, but not both benefits. Therefore, this plan’s fully funded benefit
will cease immediately upon the completion of search & rescue expenses or medically necessary
evacuation to nearest appropriate hospital, whichever benefit has been provided first."

Since most need for service events start with SAR, I don't see how Overwatch ever becomes helpful with med-evac. There is a conflicting provision further in the document that might give you hope:

The necessary and reasonable search & rescue costs and expenses incurred by the emergency consultant on behalf
of an O&R customer, for the purposes of satisfying a payment demand required by the O&R customer for search,
stabilization, and transportation to the nearest appropriate medical or safe harbor facility; which have been
determined necessary by the responding rescue authorities in order to prevent serious bodily harm or death. The
O&R customer’s search & rescue expenses benefit under this plan will cease immediately upon the O&R customer’s
arrival to the nearest appropriate medical or safe harbor facility, following a search & rescue event.

This sounds like evacuation, and even medical evacuation, may be part of the same incident, and not end Overwatch obligation when the medical helicopter leaves its home base. Maybe.

Specific exclusions could lead to disputes. "There is no medical assistance for injuries resulting from . . .
13. Intentional self‐inflicted injuries, attempted suicide or being in a state of insanity.
14. The O&R customer’s deliberate exposure to extraordinary danger (except in an attempt to save human life). . ."

Will Overreach interpret standard mountain snowmobiling to fall into these categories?

And, to clarify you get one benefit or the other, no medical benefit following a snowmobile SAR effort:
20. A medically necessary repatriation request, after a search & rescue assistance, as a result of hazardous
summer or winter sports, has been completed.

Snowmobiling is not specifically listed in the "Hazardous Winter Sports" definition, but snowmobiling may well be a hazardous winter sport under the Overwatch catch-all in the definition of hazardous winter sport:
". . . or any other sport undertaken in non‐commercial areas that have no care, custody, or
control from a commercial operator and/or for thrill/profit/notoriety/publicity/endorsement/social
media attention‐seeking, versus standard recreational purposes."

Given the overall tenor of the benefit description, this plan is more oriented to ordinary travel outside the US. It is offering advice to local help, and only in very tightly defined circumstances will it apply. It is not what SPOT offered in years past. Read it yourself, and see if Overwatch is what you think you need/want/are getting. It might help, I bought it, I might renew, and might even extend it to a family member.

djdj

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 1, 2022
Colorado
I have been a member of a Colorado SAR team for 6 years and am happy to try and answer any questions that people might have about what I have seen from the SOS/Rescue side of the SAR equation. Can't speak to the viability of the insurance options, that will require paying attention to their provisions.

Colorado and many other states rely on volunteer SAR teams who do not charge for rescue services. When we use National Guard helicopter resources, those expenses are written off by the Guard as training expenses. Utilization of air ambulance helicopters gets more nuanced with some providers being "non-profit" and they say that they only charge when they provide medical services during the flight, however I cannot confirm whether this is done in practice.

Premium Features