• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G MAN'S Tip of the Week - Running Board FIX!

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Rarely do I tout aftermarket mods as absolute "must haves" but I have found two for the Pro that are and both come from Madsigntist on the forum. Both are reasonably priced in comparison to similar mods I've seen on here.

1. EZ Boards running board inserts. As most of you know by now, the Pro is sorely in need of better running boards and finally got them for the '13 model year. For those of us with the '11's and '12's THESE are the answer! No need to go with expensive Airframes or similar that cost a small fortune. They are very nicely crafted plastic inserts that prevent the snow from sticking and they REALLY work (I was skeptical) with NO cutting! You just drill holes and rivet them in - takes minutes. They are even routed underside where the existing rivets are so they lay completely flat (attention to detail is excellent). And they DO provide more support - my sled is noticeably more responsive to foot pressure with these as they basically stiffen your stock boards! And, for a small upcharge, you can get the plastic footwell block-offs too for half of what the others are selling for (first pic). I honestly couldn't be happier. Second pic is all the snow that gathered after a long sidehill pull without even swiping my feet once - just stopped and took the pic. Third pic you'll notice some snow build up at the rear (where I wasn't standing) but it comes right off with a quick swipe of your boot as the snow is NOT stuck on like with the stock aluminum boards! Bonus - makes your sled look SICK in combo with vinyl tunnel wrap! Wrap and Stomp Grip also highly recommended for keeping snow from sticking to the sides and more control of the sled.

2. Mad Fab Designs Gauge Lifter - Adjusts the angle so you can see the gauges while standing AND vents quite a bit of heat. Bonus - acts as a helmet warmer for when you have prolonged stops, I LOVE it! Last pic you can see the gauge lifter and the fact that my running boards are spotless.

If Matt comes up with anything else, I want to know because this guy is a genius!

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Also filed the outer grip prongs flat like some SW'rs recommended - works perfect! No more sliced up boots/pants and I didn't notice any reduction in grip. Another MUST DO free mod!

IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0241.jpg IMG_0219.jpg

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So what is the point of the inserts if they are the same pattern as stock? Just to keep snow from sticking? I'm skeptical how well plastic will hold up at the rivet spot. Seems like it would eventually crack.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
What took you so long? lol. Madsigntist's products are top notch and very cost effective, I've been using his products for a while and love them!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
So what is the point of the inserts if they are the same pattern as stock? Just to keep snow from sticking? I'm skeptical how well plastic will hold up at the rivet spot. Seems like it would eventually crack.

I was very skeptical as well, until I rode a Pro with Madsigntist's inserts. You don't cut anything, just drop the insert on the board and rivet it to hold it in place. They work awesome! By far the best mod for the money.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I was very skeptical as well, until I rode a Pro with Madsigntist's inserts. You don't cut anything, just drop the insert on the board and rivet it to hold it in place. They work awesome! By far the best mod for the money.

Couldn't agree more. And for only a fraction of the cost of Airframes or the new Burandt boards - this is a no-brainer! The stock holes are plenty big (except for maybe at the very rear). The problem is the snow sticks to the aluminum and starts building up which gets compounded even more by the fact that the stock holes are stamped so the grips cup upwards further allowing snow build up. The height of the inserts puts them level with the grips so no more cupping snow and no more sticking snow. I was a skeptic too but I'm a believer NOW! As for the plastic cracking at the rivets - not likely as I believe it is HDPE and shouldn't crack under load plus the inserts cannot move around as each hole "cups" the plastic. Attached is the "before" pic - what a nightmare stock was!

Have FUN!

G MAN

IMG_0126.jpg

Last edited:

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I ran plastic on my dragon and now my pro. I have approx.. 4000 miles with no problems. They work awesome. The only place where the snow sticks is where there is aluminium at the back of the rail and a little bit in the foot well but with a slight kick it goes away. I highly recommend them.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
How is the traction?

You know, I was concerned with that initially but it is not an issue. The stamped grip teeth along the boards still extend above the plastic and most of your grip still comes from the teeth on the rail edge which is not affected.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If your feet are facing forward inside the rails in a normal riding position are the soles of your boots up on the aluminum "teeth" around the holes or is the plastic higher so you stand on plastic?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
The stamped grip teeth along the boards still extend above the plastic...

MM... see above.

gman, how much do these inserts run and did you get them straight from madfab or some other distributer?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hmm...me thinks someone copied my chit..its all good glad to see someone making a little money.....I built these for mine and I would imagine mads are about the same....

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
MM... see above.

gman, how much do these inserts run and did you get them straight from madfab or some other distributer?

I got mine straight from MadFab though I'm sure you could get a good price from Boston Racing too. I'll have to defer to them to quote the price; hopefully they will chime in. I can say that they are a fraction of the cost of all the other options out there and, by far, the best value. I can't recommend them enough!

Have FUN!

G

PS - And yes, teeth stick out above the plastic MM so no issues with traction.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I got mine straight from MadFab though I'm sure you could get a good price from Boston Racing too. I'll have to defer to them to quote the price; hopefully they will chime in.

I PMed Boston yesterday so I'll wait for a reply! Thanks for the info man.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
I hear ya... I came up with the same Idea in 2010 and gave it to about 6 different companies... good to see someone made it!

I can testify to that as I remember mtnhorse telling me I should make these when the prototype pros were released, back in 2010. He was also the one who had gave me idea about the plastic foot well blockers. Anyhow, props to madfab for taking the time to make them and prove they work.

Aksnowrider, I like your plastic tunnel sides. They probably do a better job then the vinyl.

Premium Features