• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical issue (?) with 2023 Lynx Shredder DS ... Sled up and died on the hill and hasn't started since

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so after most of a season of basically flawless performance out of the 850 Turbo R motor on my Lynx .... the damn thing literally just keeled over and died on the hill yesterday. I mean, dead in the water won't fire wont start had to tow it back dead.

Tried starting it again today, won't fire .... But I can smell gas? So I don't think its the fuel pump?

This sled typically starts on the first pull and has all season. Till yesterday afternoon.

What I'm noticing is - The sled, at least if I remember right ... would have the 10" gauge fire up if the key was in, the kill switch was set to "OFF" and I pulled my rope ... Now, it doesn't do that. But if I use the SHOT start to turn the gauge on, then try to start it with the rope ... it shuts the gauge off? I don't think it ever did that before?

I guess what I'm getting it as, if the normal mode of operation for the sled is such that you can have your gauge off, kill switch off, pull the rope and that at least turns the gauge on .... Something is apparently hosed in my stator because its not firing up the gauge unless I punch the SHOT button.

Yeah, the sled is under warranty, but I'm still trying to figure out WTF is going on here before I haul it back to the dealer and let them deal with it this week.

Anybody else have this issue with their late-model G4/G5/Lynx?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Ok, so after most of a season of basically flawless performance out of the 850 Turbo R motor on my Lynx .... the damn thing literally just keeled over and died on the hill yesterday. I mean, dead in the water won't fire wont start had to tow it back dead.

Tried starting it again today, won't fire .... But I can smell gas? So I don't think its the fuel pump?

This sled typically starts on the first pull and has all season. Till yesterday afternoon.

What I'm noticing is - The sled, at least if I remember right ... would have the 10" gauge fire up if the key was in, the kill switch was set to "OFF" and I pulled my rope ... Now, it doesn't do that. But if I use the SHOT start to turn the gauge on, then try to start it with the rope ... it shuts the gauge off? I don't think it ever did that before?

I guess what I'm getting it as, if the normal mode of operation for the sled is such that you can have your gauge off, kill switch off, pull the rope and that at least turns the gauge on .... Something is apparently hosed in my stator because its not firing up the gauge unless I punch the SHOT button.

Yeah, the sled is under warranty, but I'm still trying to figure out WTF is going on here before I haul it back to the dealer and let them deal with it this week.

Anybody else have this issue with their late-model G4/G5/Lynx?

Whats your battery voltage? and you may want to replace the 20amp fuse or check to see if it’s making a good contact.
Have you tried disconnecting the shot capacitor?

P

Paul G

Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
I have this exact same problem with a gen 5 turbo expert, riding down the trail on Saturday shut it off with the kill switch to wait on another rider. Then nothing when I tried to restart, no shot no pulling the rope did anything. Dealer can't get to it for another month. Just like you said, sled has been flawless until this; 780 miles bone stock. Dealer thinks it might be ecu or stator related.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
got spark?

Not acting like it, but since you have to take 1/2 the sled apart to get to the plugs and check ... IDK.

your battery voltage? and you may want to replace the 20amp fuse or check to see if it’s making a good contact.
Have you tried disconnecting the shot capacitor?

Pushing the SHOT start button, headlights and gauge fire up just fine, so I am thinking voltage is fine as well. Which 20amp fuse are you speaking of? Where is it located?

I have not tried disconnecting the SHOT capacitor yet, I'll do that and see what it does.

Ive heard of a loose dess post connection on a G5 that died while climbing a hill.

Whats a dess post connection?

P

Paul G

Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
My sled wouldn't even turn over pushing the shot button, do you think a bad coil would cause that kind of issue? All the dealers around here are so busy, it's going to take some time to even get it looked at.

P

Paul G

Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
I have an update on my sled; I took it to the dealer in west yellowstone cause they weren't as busy right now. Kinda their off season I guess, anyway they said an injector failed.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Lots of failed ECUs and Injectors on 2022 and 2023 models. BRP had to take some secondary supliers to meet the parts demand due to covid related parts shortage issues. Its a shame but atleast most sleds have been delivered on time. Im sure for 2024 no need for these secondary suppliers anymore.

P

Paul G

Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
Yeah mine has both a failed ecu and injector, I wonder if the replacement parts will be identical or improved? I hope they are from a different supplier, maybe the same as 24 parts.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah mine has both a failed ecu and injector, I wonder if the replacement parts will be identical or improved? I hope they are from a different supplier, maybe the same as 24 parts.

I just got my sled back last saturday, and this is EXACTLY what the dealer told me was wrong with mine as well. The ECU magically **** the bed and took an injector with it.

Hopefully the replacement ECU isn't defective like the original one was.

P

Paul G

Apr 17, 2023
Bozeman, Montana
I haven't gotten mine back yet, they got the parts and it runs but something is not right with the programming. So I guess they are waiting on BRP to get back to them.

Premium Features