• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dual Sport Helmets....real world experiences on snow?

PowderEatin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SW Idaho
Considering a dual sport helmet as a second helmet to wear mainly in extreme weather such as -5 F and 30 mph winds. In those conditions the motocross helmet and goggles just aren't warm enough. The goal of getting a helmet like this will be to wear goggles and put the shield down while the goggles are on. Only a handful of helmets are made for this and only 2 have dual lenses that I have found under $200. One thing is clear, the shield must be dual-lens for fogging prevention.

Is there any real-world experience with these helmets and goggles use, specifically will the goggles instantly fog when the shield is closed (cutting off the airflow)?

GMax GM11 and FXR Torque X:

oe3307182.jpg

dk3306563.jpg

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I've used the full face like that a couple times renting sleds.

Granted not getting all hot and bothered on a trail sled, but i got along fine with sunglasses underneath.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
That's cool that u can put shield down while wearing goggles.

It might work but I don't have one so can't say.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
a buddy of mine tried one last year and he was pretty happy with it especially on the ride out when you are cold and wet. Most of the time he rides with the shield up during the day. He usually wears sun glasses or goggles when we are playing in the trees, but he liked having the option to use the shield.

PowderEatin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SW Idaho
Thanks for the replies. It's apparent these helmets are indeed rare out on the snow. A couple of dealers who sell sleds and dirt bikes did not even know a snow version was available.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Thanks for the replies. It's apparent these helmets are indeed rare out on the snow. A couple of dealers who sell sleds and dirt bikes did not even know a snow version was available.

I was looking at the electric fxr. It gets cold here in sask. I

I was told get a good modular but that was along time ago, my dad got a cheap electric zox and loves it. Light and never fogs... Maybe they have came along way.

Fxr looks way less dorky than a modular. Can pop in goggles if need be aswell. I think its win win if its not too heavy.

Premium Features