• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Don’t forget to check that airbox!!!

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Since I toasted 2 ctecs last season from snow/water ingestion figured I better take a look at the new HC before I head out this week to ride.

Took hood off and the side pieces, noticed a gap in the 2 big halves of the main airbox. It’s roughly 7” long!! The biggest part of the gap is about 3/16” for maybe 3-4” of the gap, then tapering back to a solid nice fit. I took a light and shined inside my airbox, pics will show the story. The letters in each pic match a pic showing where the hole is and a pic with the light coming through.

I still need to pull headlight off and make sure no issues are lurking around the goggle holder/snow accumulation area.

These things rip and work amazing, love the thing, but this is unacceptable. I have made in china junk put together better than this. Cat should be embarrassed.

Enjoy:

124AE272-4F43-4A25-AE47-05130879E4F0.jpeg4E7C90FE-D4CD-4159-9856-E7A0F915CA2B.jpeg382EB0D3-0AED-44C8-AFBB-CFCFEDDC6A24.jpegF3C6C654-3152-4140-92F1-F54E9BDF80BE.jpegCBB85E2C-A162-4517-AC65-FF94F32AB1B9.jpeg9F7CA2ED-27BE-4794-915E-9765EF811CBE.jpegDFEA549E-436B-4D2A-9746-C9DD68330738.jpeg

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Regarding b and c I also have that but I left mine alone, its well under the hood so I was not too worried? However I had some light leakage up front, right where the air box will meet to sit into the chassis just up, from the nose cone which certainly will pull in some fine snow. as best I could tell the rest of it looked OK.

I noticed the air intake material also isn't water repellent, so that will cause lots of water to get in through that as the snow sits or melts up top. I've been trying to figure out what I can do with that, I wiped on spray silicone (works great for door seals and rubber to make it water repellent) but it didn't take to the fabric.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
This is still happening I figured after seeing my 18 cat like this they would have surley have this fit better by now, its such a simple thing to fix but u shouldnt have to considering the damage that can be done if u dont !

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I'm embarrassed for them. Known issues like this that they fail to fix baffle me. It has to cost them money with warranty claims. Unbelievable really. But water ingestion is only half of the problem since the intake design doesn't work well in over hood snow either. Intake screens on the flat dash area get buried and choke out the sled. I probably would have upgraded to a '20 had it not been for this crap. Yeah, you can possibly fix the ingestion issue but still have the deep snow performance issue regardless.
[/QUOTE]

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
My intake had the same gaps. Little silicone to seal them up. Definitely see issues happening with these. That's a long intake track for sure.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
I have also heard of this issue from my Cat dealer, several of my friends have blown theirs up this season already from this issue. Separated air boxes!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I'm embarrassed for them. Known issues like this that they fail to fix baffle me. It has to cost them money with warranty claims. Unbelievable really. But water ingestion is only half of the problem since the intake design doesn't work well in over hood snow either. Intake screens on the flat dash area get buried and choke out the sled. I probably would have upgraded to a '20 had it not been for this crap. Yeah, you can possibly fix the ingestion issue but still have the deep snow performance issue regardless.
[/QUOTE]

its funny because my 17 is the best sled I've ever had for over hood pow. don't even know where its getting air from. this must be something they have to learn with these new efficient motors. the zukes would keep everything nice and oily :)

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
I have also heard of this issue from my Cat dealer, several of my friends have blown theirs up this season already from this issue. Separated air boxes!
how many is several?
where are you located and who is your dealer?

L
Nov 25, 2018
Reviving a slightly old thread....

So I'm out of my warranty on my 19 Mountain Cat and home this week with a sick kid so I decided to check my hood/intake.

Background info: It has ran flawlessly thru 900 miles, pulls hard, and I've never had that deep powder bog that people talk about....but just to be safe, I checked.

Sure enough there was water in my intake and gaps in the plastic. Not nearly as bad as some have posted, but went ahead and put silicone on it just to make sure.

Thought I'd bring this up since most people check after having the infamous bog, but it might be worth your 1 hr time to pull it a seal it up just in case, especially if you don't have a warranty or a good dealer. My local dealer is about to kick arctic cat out since they're so hard to deal with, and I didn't want my sled to be down for something so simple to fix.

Cheers!

S
Oct 23, 2019
I would be interested to hear what dealer you are with as well. I am a cat dealer in montana and we have super blower cold smoke snow all the time and we have not had any c tec 2 issues. In fact we have actually had amazing results with the C tec motors!

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
My buddy and I have not touched our hoods and have no issues. Had some bogs in my sled while on break in but also found power valve cables weren’t equal length. Been no issue since adjustment about 8 rides ago.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
My
how many is several?
where are you located and who is your dealer?

My friend Tyan, Jesse, Donovan, Neil and a few that my friend has seen at their cat shop. Not all from the same area! but all blew up in revy area!

W
Dec 16, 2011
I have a 2020 HC with 200 miles on it. Got into terrific deep powder Saturday. It was fluff over the top all day. Had several episodes of bog. So did my buddy on his brand new 18 with the same mileage. So it sounds like I need to pull the covers and take a look. I am not much of a wrench head so is there something specific to look for or another place I should go looking for more details on the "fix"? But when she ran it was awesome!

L
Nov 25, 2018
You can see several threads on here with pictures.

The hood is really easy to take off. Take off side panels, 2 screws each side on hood to frame, 1 bolt bottom center and pull off the hood from the intake. Entire hood will come off.

This video is a complete disassembly but shows the hood being taken off.

Once you flip it over, look at the airbox compartment (inner piece of hood) and look for any gaps. I sealed the entire thing since I had it off, and while there weren't any huge gaps, there were gaps where any
type of snow could get in. There was also water on the bottom of the intake.

Premium Features