• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Compression

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Your engine compression psi should be around 120-140. There are a lot of variables suck as elevation, atmospheric pressure, gauge accuracy, test method etc. This is why you see so many different numbers. To me its more important that the cylinders are the same side to side or with in a few psi. If you are trying to determine engine health a leak down test may be a better choice. If this is a new engine it needs to be broken in for accurate results. Those Suzuki 800 usually take around 500 miles to truly loosen up from new, a rebuild may be a bit quicker.

L
Dec 5, 2022
france
I know but the problem is there, I just wanted to know how much compression is on a new 800 engine, on the manual it is written 6.62:1 compression ratio, but it does not specify the compression in psi, moreover the ratio/PSI conversion calculator finds me 97 psi for a new engine, I thought it was low for new...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Your engine compression psi should be around 120-140. There are a lot of variables suck as elevation, atmospheric pressure, gauge accuracy, test method etc. This is why you see so many different numbers. To me its more important that the cylinders are the same side to side or with in a few psi. If you are trying to determine engine health a leak down test may be a better choice. If this is a new engine it needs to be broken in for accurate results. Those Suzuki 800 usually take around 500 miles to truly loosen up from new, a rebuild may be a bit quicker.
My big bore compression tested ok, but the rings were starting to flake when I took it apart. Leak down might have shown that better.

Anylizer

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2005
Top 'O the Great Basin... almost
I know but the problem is there, I just wanted to know how much compression is on a new 800 engine, on the manual it is written 6.62:1 compression ratio, but it does not specify the compression in psi, moreover the ratio/PSI conversion calculator finds me 97 psi for a new engine, I thought it was low for new...

Additionally, make sure you are holding the throttle WIDE OPEN when testing compression. It makes a big difference!!!

Premium Features