• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado Trails - Google Overlay and Garmin Custom Maps

H
Nov 27, 2007
Nice Thread!

here is Grand lake trail system, Vail pass, Red & White Mountain (Vail) and a Colorado wilderness kmz showing wilderness lines. i only use the wilderness kmz as a rough idea no idea how accurate or current it is.

View attachment Grand Lake Trails.pdf

View attachment Colorado Wildernesses.pdf

View attachment Red & White Mountain Vail.pdf

View attachment Vail Pass.pdf

same as above, rename to .kmz

i have the pro version and use it for work (landscape architect, planning, 3d modeling animations and graphics) let me know if you need a hand with any further ones. always enjoy when i get to play around in GE. sometimes i've almost gone as far as creating my own map as some are pretty weak. the grand lake one is pretty nice however could use a higher quality one.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Good deal - I'll have to download those tonight and take a look!

Edit: Finally got a chance to look at them - they'll work great for me, adding them all to my files.

Last edited:
P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
I should have grand lake done later,just need to touch it up. Not quite sure how to post it though... Still haven'nt found anything for church or corona though, I can't imagine there is not a map since they do rentals...
P

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Nice Thread!

here is Grand lake trail system, Vail pass, Red & White Mountain (Vail) and a Colorado wilderness kmz showing wilderness lines. i only use the wilderness kmz as a rough idea no idea how accurate or current it is.

View attachment 162502

View attachment 162503

View attachment 162504

View attachment 162505

same as above, rename to .kmz

i have the pro version and use it for work (landscape architect, planning, 3d modeling animations and graphics) let me know if you need a hand with any further ones. always enjoy when i get to play around in GE. sometimes i've almost gone as far as creating my own map as some are pretty weak. the grand lake one is pretty nice however could use a higher quality one.
Any ideas on how to get them a little clearer once zoomed in on the gps? Maybe scanning them in a super high resolution?
P

Anyone know if kmz can be converted to a gdb file? I have an etrex vista c and it doesn't appear to be able to open a kmz file. It's giving me an error "rabbit ears.kmz is not a valid MapSource file and could not be opened.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Anyone know if kmz can be converted to a gdb file? I have an etrex vista c and it doesn't appear to be able to open a kmz file. It's giving me an error "rabbit ears.kmz is not a valid MapSource file and could not be opened.
Well the kmz file is for Google earth to open, then once you have it on your Google earth then you follow the directions on the Garmin website that says- in Google earth, right click on map, click save as, then in dialogue box as to where to save it find your GPS maps folder and save it. That's if it can handle that type... hope it helps and sorry if it doesn't support it.
P

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
I didn't have a actual copy of the maps just one's I've found online. if you have a better one I'd be up for redoing it.

Yea unfortunately that's all I have as well, you seemed pretty techy so I thought you might have an idea to clear them up a little... I would be willing to purchase hard copies if you think we could get them cleared somehow, I have a snowy hard copy if you wanna try...
P

H
Nov 27, 2007
the only other thing i could think of it to print out what i have then scan it the largest DPI i can and see if it helps. I'll try and give it a shot sometime in the near future but have got slammed at work, and that is where the big scanner resources are for me.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Hey man, whenever you think you could give it a shot you can have my paper copy if the snowys!! I would love ti have it detailed enough that I could read it at less than a 1/4 mile or so!! Let me know what I can do!!
P

Premium Features