• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado Snowmobile Registration/Title

R
Feb 12, 2018
Hello all,

I am looking to register a sled in Colorado but am a little confused as to the process and fees. I am from New York and bought a sled from a dealer here in NY but will be brining it to Colorado with me.

In New York, we have to pay sales tax on the purchase price (if you bought it for $8,000, you will pay around $700 in tax). Is this the same case in Colorado? Or do you just have to pay the $30.25 registration fee?

The sled is not in my name right now, as I am buying it used from a dealer. They are going to give me the NY registration (signed by the owner) and a bill of sale, but I don't want to register it in NY, as I will be paying a boat load in sales tax.

I did some research online and tried calling a few places but nobody wants to answer. It seems like I can register the snowmobile online just by sending the necessary paperwork to Colorado Parks & Wildlife, but I am wondering if that is only for "renewing" your registration, rather than actually transferring ownership of the snowmobile to me.

I really wish one of these places would answer their phone! :face-icon-small-did

Any input would be much appreciated! Anything about the overall registration/titling of a snowmobile in CO!

Five-0 Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2010
Colorado Sled Registration

You should only need proof of ownership (Bill of sale,etc...) and $30.25

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have brought 4 sleds in from other states

you will have to pay local sales tax but they will deduct any sales tax you paid in state you bought it

J
Sep 22, 2008
east of parker
OHV Registration ($30.25) - this will get you a sticker which allows you to operate the vehicle off road. Available for residents and non-residents and administered by the parks and wildlife dept. This does not prove ownership of the vehicle like a title
You can order online here
http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/SnowmobileRegistrations.aspx

Title - Colorado recently started titling off road vehicles (now required for purchases from a dealer, optional for person to person sales). This provides you a title, just like a car, which shows that you (or a leinholder) legally own the vehicle. When you title the vehicle, you pay title fees + state and local sales taxes based on the address you title the vehicle. This is handled with the DMV for the county you are titling in.

Premium Features