• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMX heat exchanger from XRT ENGINEERED

CHarding

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 3, 2019
I thought I would share my experience with my new tunnel cooler for anyone interested in doing something similar. I had originally planned on fabbing up my own setup but after seeing XRT was working on a CMX kit, I reached out to Dave about buying one. It is a XRT Engineered setup. I guess you could call it the prototype setup for the CMX kit. I took pictures and measurements for him to design from and he gave me a discount on the setup.

Bike is a 2019 Beta 480 RR with a CMX 129, C3 thermostat and coolant heated bars.
I've had the setup for a couple years and love it but temps were always hit or miss. Some days can't keep it warm enough, others, can't keep it cool. Long hard pulls, I would see my temps get way too hot for my liking. Having to stop and not being able to just ride is annoying. It depends on the day and the snow conditions, where and how you are riding. Which is why I wanted to switch over to a tunnel cooler setup.
So glad I did, I love it. I've got 5 rides so far with it and have had no problems. I'm running 160 degrees consistently now. I still need to cover up the front and back of my engine better and I think the bleed hole in my thermostat is what is keeping it from getting to 190. The cooler gets hot before the thermostat should open. I'm assuming that's why.

I've had it in a variety of conditions and haven't had too worry about temps which is so nice. It runs good at 160, I will try and get it sealed up better and get it to run a little hotter but so far it's been an awesome upgrade. I won't have another bike without a tunnel cooler.

Here are a few pics, I had to fab up a mount for the coolant bottle and my plastics to mount to. I think Dave is working on a universal mount for that?!? I did do the overflow tube also. Of course I couldn't find any red or black silicone hose locally when I did the install so I ended up with blue. Ha! 90 pct. of it is covered when I'm ready to ride so I wasn't too worried about it. The way he designed it to mount is with a rod in front and a bolt in back. The crossmembers angle away from them so they are really wedged in there. Simple and it works, super tight with no movement. Great upgrade for me. ?

20230312_134524.jpg 20230224_162623.jpg 20230224_162533.jpg 20230214_162840.jpg 20230214_161616.jpg 20230214_161628.jpg 20230214_161642.jpg 20230214_161655.jpg

Dec 28, 2007
Terrace, BC
Looks great man! 100% you should epoxy off the bleed hole in your thermostat. I could never get mine up to full thermostat temp until I did.

I have one of Dave’s (XRT engineered) awesome tunnel cooler and fill canister setups on my BRC 500/ ARO3 Pro with rads deleted. It works amazing and by far the most consistent temps I’ve ever seen on a snowbike

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
I ended up building my own with these oil coolers that i seen another guy use. I found some clamps that worked perfect. Im building a 24 300sx this year and plan on keep rads for now to see how my temps are. Heres some pics. Almost finished

IMG_4816.jpeg IMG_4817.jpeg IMG_4728.jpeg

CHarding

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 3, 2019
Looks great man! 100% you should epoxy off the bleed hole in your thermostat. I could never get mine up to full thermostat temp until I did.

I have one of Dave’s (XRT engineered) awesome tunnel cooler and fill canister setups on my BRC 500/ ARO3 Pro with rads deleted. It works amazing and by far the most consistent temps I’ve ever seen on a snowbike
Thanks! I will try that with the bleed hole. I really like the tunnel cooler setup. I don't know how much I will be riding this setup now though. I have a Panthera- Yeti setup now. It has a C3 tunnel cooler on it with rads, hopefully it works as well as the XRT cooler. Might sell the Beta if it works out, we'll see, this has been a great bike and kit.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks! I will try that with the bleed hole. I really like the tunnel cooler setup. I don't know how much I will be riding this setup now though. I have a Panthera- Yeti setup now. It has a C3 tunnel cooler on it with rads, hopefully it works as well as the XRT cooler. Might sell the Beta if it works out, we'll see, this has been a great bike and kit.
How’s the panthera do on the snow.

CHarding

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 3, 2019
How’s the panthera do on the snow.
I haven't had it out yet, just got it, soon hopefully.The guy I bought it from has built quite a few. He only has a few rides on this one. Not sure if the Lectron is going to be the ticket or not?!? He wasnt 100% happy with it. I am going to try it and see.

I would like to pick anyone's brain who has played around with one. I know there are a couple people on here who have or had one. One switched to a smart carb I know. I've been really wanting to try one and see. It sounds and feels pretty strong. It has a 22' Yeti 137. Should be fun.

387155065_3591606191157859_4453434690165244204_n (1).jpg

M
Dec 16, 2023
colorado
I ended up building my own with these oil coolers that i seen another guy use. I found some clamps that worked perfect. Im building a 24 300sx this year and plan on keep rads for now to see how my temps are. Heres some pics. Almost finished
What hose is that? the smallest HPS 180 bend i could find is 1/2". 6AN is more like 3/8.

Premium Features