• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat should share the G8 gauge with Skdoo in exchange for the Shot system.

32longtrack

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
The title says it all. Eventually all the sled brands will have Shot once the patent runs out. They should do some horse trading now both company’s would benefit. Garmin would need to make it work in Canada like it works in the US. Garmin would sell more displays too. Garmin is a first class company and will set the standard for a high end gauge.

32longtrack

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
Why will it only work with direct injected motors? The sled brands tend to sue one another for various reasons they’d get over it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The transfer port injection used on the cats requires a good, full rotation of the engine to move the air enough to carry the fuel into the combustion chamber. Not sure the magneto alone with a limited capacitor charge can make that happen.

Ski-Doo's direct injection can put the fuel in the combustion chamber and ignite it to fire the engine as long as one cylinder is on the power stroke. That's why sleds with the SHOT system sometimes move the crank to a certain spot slowly before they fire.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'm sure you could make something like SHOT work with transfer port injection. You'd have to turn the motor somewhere between 2/3 and a full rotation to push air past the injector and get enough compression going for it to ignite the mixture, and that would mean pushing the other piston through a full compression stroke. I suspect SHOT only has to turn the engine around 1/3 of a rotation, and direct injection probably makes it easier to get a combustible mixture and pop the motor into life. I know it uses a capacitor, and the flywheel/stator setup acts as the starter motor, but it's probably pretty inefficient. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of power required to turn a TPI motor enough to fire it makes the system less practical and desirable - maybe moving close enough to e-start that it's not worth it...

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Manufactures were starting 4 cycle engines in lawnmowers 40 years ago with a battery and magneto, while still using a carburetor and a set of points. They can make most things work just at what cost?
BD 97 and TT are right shot has everything to do with the direct injection technology BRP bought from Evinrude. AC would be far better off to refine the E start IMHO by using a light weight starter and battery. The battery alone can be 10 lbs less if you can shave a few pounds off the starter you have E start for under 10 lbs and were not having this conversation. I haven't rode a Catalyst yet but if they are as balanced as everyone says and with the low COG you may not even notice the extra 22lbs of e start. All that being said It would be great if AC had their own L/W system for starting.
CATS, Capacitor Actuated Transistor Starting , but for now I will keep pulling the rope lol.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
my catalyst is my first E start sled and i i'll never go back. I havent ridden a non e start catalyst to compare but its still the easiest sled to ride i've ever been on. I have a 3lb battery and a lightweight can so not really any more than a non e start either. I wonder if they could use a capacitor with the existing starter motor. would there be enough power in it to spin the starter. would still have to pull it in the morning but you do with shot too. I think i read where someone put a capacitor in place of there battery on a sled. I ordered my 858 with e start.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Shot only works with diect injection on skidoo. Doubt they would do anything for skidoo after the last lawsuit
Yamaha sold a DT 2 stroke bike in the early 70s that used a capacitor to power the stator and start the bike, nothing new here, everything has been done before, all we do now is add computers to old ideas.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
This explains how the SHOT works, they fail to mention the engine clocks itself TDC before firing. Thus the delay before starting.

There was a lot of people going off on it saying it doesn't work since it didn't immediately start.
The one we have the SHOT has started on many occasions as long as up to three hours later.

It's really hard to not notice the traditional start clang into the starter ring when you've used the SHOT.

Not to mention the top injectors pump raw gas to the top of the pistons, no oil.

Premium Features