• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbon fiber tunnel wrap

J
Aug 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Ok I am about to wrap my tunnel with carbon fiber wrap. My question is , and I'm hoping someone has some insight, drill out rivets or go over them and cut them out. I'd like to do the whole tunnel.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
Clean good, go over rivets and use a heat gun and bank card and press down around all rivets! Might have to touch it up every once in a while but mines been on for 2 years and no problems, looks good!

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
Mine was the 3m stuff. Usually anyone who does signs or wraps can get it for you. Just got mine at the local vinyl supply shop.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I used a product called Orajet. Much better quality and a lot more realistic look. It actually has a grain.

I removed my rear bumper and went behind it. I also found using pressing down on the heated wrap over the rivet with your thumb for a 5 count worked best to get the best coverage over it.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I used a product called Orajet. Much better quality and a lot more realistic look. It actually has a grain.

I removed my rear bumper and went behind it. I also found using pressing down on the heated wrap over the rivet with your thumb for a 5 count worked best to get the best coverage over it.

Are you sure it's not called oracal?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Are you sure it's not called oracal?

Could be Oracal... but pretty sure it is called Orajet. I will go take a pic when I get home

But I really would suggest going over the rivets and for 2 reasons. First, it is much much less work then drilling them all out and reinstalling. The second, if you ever damage the wrap, you can just peel and relay. If you have the wrap under the rivets, you are stuck having to use a razor blade to cut close to all the rivets; then what... drive all the rivets again, or just go over them???

It is a clean look going over the rivets but takes a little more patients

Last edited:

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Most of the sleds I've seen have just wrapped over all the rivets as well. When I wrapped mine, I had the whole sled apart and bare tunnel, which is why I chose to wrap then rivet. Gives it a different look having the river exposed. The stuff is actually easy to work with. Once you start using it a bit, you get a feel for the way the material acts under heat. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Hows the durability of that carbon grained stuff?

I put some 3m 1080 on my tunnel this year and it's getting a little torn up from boots or pant zippers or something.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Hows the durability of that carbon grained stuff?

I put some 3m 1080 on my tunnel this year and it's getting a little torn up from boots or pant zippers or something.

Mine has been awesome. I put 700miles on the sled this year and it doesn't have a mark. few boot scuffs, but I think its mainly rubber.

And yes, it does seem to hold less ice and snow than raw

Premium Features