• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb ice? Not!

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Yes, I'm still running my shielding. I changed it this year and its a
bit more minimal, but its still there. I also epoxied the hole on the thermobob stat which I think is helpful.
I wanted to post some pics of the shielding and my new hydraulic clutch
but I cant figure out how to with my windows 8 garbage laptop.
You need a degree in computer science to figure out this crap.

M
Jan 14, 2004
That's funny cause I use my windows 8.1 tablet all the time except when I post pics, then I crank up the old widows 7 desktop, Friggin hate it. Thanks for the reply, I'm leaning towards a tunnel cooler setup.

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe u should lean towards a iPhone 6, iPad Air, and a Macbook Pro ! Cant stay in the dark ages forever !!!! :face-icon-small-ton

M
Jan 14, 2004
How did I know that was coming. LOL. Wifey has Ipad air and several gens of IPhone, that's why we now own 10 different useless I chargers in the drawer. Don't really enjoy being bent over the table by Apple every 2 years or when you want to do something as simple as hook up a tv $$$$$$$. They think their $hit don't stink.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Carb heat is mandatory, Tstat isn't at this time of year cause its open all the time anyways. For all season consistent temps carb heat, tstats and tunnel cooler are the answer. This time of year when the air temps are up my bike runs warmer usually over 140 degrees compared to 120ish in the cold. Check out my CR500 build for what I changed out, if your bike is a newer one you can get by with the stock 46mm forks otherwise if they are the pre 1996 42's they need to go.

M5

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
So please educate me. What's the diff between 4-stroke and 2-stroke?

I don't run anything on my 450 besides putting HEET in the gas. No problems - only have problems when I forget to run the HEET.

So what's the worst that could happen if I don't do anything to the 500? Does it just run that much cooler that it freezes over easier and won't run?

M
Jan 14, 2004
The 2 stroke both runs cooler and pulls in WAY more air, it will make carb ice in any weather cooler than say 25F or so, just the nature of the beast. I never ran carb heat on my old KTM 450.

M5

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
So I have about 30hrs on this setup with thermobobs new 70deg C stat.
It works perfectly. The motor stays in the 150 to 158deg range under all conditions and carb icing is ancient history.I really dont see much benefit to
running cooler than this, but other stats are available now if you think its important to run colder.

Ravenous. I'm working on getting my 500 up and in the snow here shortly. I asked M5 in another thread but I'll ask you too. I think it would be helpful to have links posted to where you got your fittings (was it all just bought from thermobob?), hose, and thermostat from.

I'm thinking that for now, I'll just do the carb heat and nord lock all the major bolts and give this baby a try! Can't wait.

Guitarman

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
Car Ice a non issue

I posted this previously in a different thread. I have kicked the ice issue in the head on my CR500. What I found was that the air filter was the culprit. It creates such a pressure drop across the carb that it freezes any and all moisture in the air. I put on a large after market airfilter and cured the problem. Last ride was at 5 degrees near Denali Park here in Alaska. No ice. Bike ran awesome all day. Headed out again Tuesday. I'll report back.

IMG_2209.jpg IMG_2210.jpg

Guitarman

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
Just a quick note of clarification, I ran this setup all last year with no issues. My previous post made it sound like my last ride was the first time I had tried it.

Premium Features