• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bighorns - Sledwyo guide service is top notch

adventure

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I just wanted to throw up an endorsement for the Sledwyo guide service out of Sheridan for the Bighorns. I've been riding in the mountains for over 30 years but never in the Bighorns. Had never hired a guide but with some news of a recent micro-snow event and only one day to spend there I figured it would be money well spent and I couldn't have been more right. The owner Jeff Shanor was quick to communicate and made the process easy. My son and I had a terrific full day with guide Riley Sessions. He's an incredible rider and was worth it just to watch. He met us early and on time in the morning together with his cousin and guide-in-training, Wes. They quickly evaluated our skills and took us straight to the best snow. Was a great day with a good mix of deep snow, scenery, tight trees, and pillows. If you're looking to ride in the mountains closest to the Midwest I suggest a day (or more) with the crew at https://www.sledwyo.com/

W
Jan 4, 2017
Adventure I would like to know how trail riding is in the big horns my wife and are going to Deadwood to ride and we are to old for off trail, We would like to come over for one day and ride just to see the different scenery.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Adventure I would like to know how trail riding is in the big horns my wife and are going to Deadwood to ride and we are to old for off trail, We would like to come over for one day and ride just to see the different scenery.
You will have a great time, keep an eye on your gas gauge and the weather.

W
Jan 4, 2017
Looking for the closest spot to drop trailer and ride in the big horns from deadwood South Dakota area. Is there anywhere to go in and buy a trail pass over the counter.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Wolfee2005 we usually just go to the Red Grade parking area right on the highway from Big Horn. You do have to ride up the mountain road so if you have an issue with heights look away lol. Good trails and off trail around there and good parking. You can easily make it up to the lodges and back down in a day and have plenty of trails to play around on. We just get our passes from either Big R or I belelve Sportsmans Warehouse in Sheridan. I know you can go and unload down by Buffalo but I belelve those are ungroomed mostley so not sure what you are looking for and have personally never gone to the Southern Big Horns myself.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
The trails get groomed regularly from bear lodge outward.
Off trail is pretty beat right now
You can get a wyo sticker at the lodge or at many gas stations.
Park at bear lodge where all the amenities are. red grade always sucks

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Is the base adequate in the Bighorns for some spring riding? Specifically wondering about the Powder River Pass/Meadowlark/Deerhaven side? Thanks.

Premium Features