• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bar riser on high handle bars, extensions needed?

B
Nov 12, 2013
Hey guys,

as the title states, looking to put a 3" bar riser on my new axys pro rmk. It has the high handlebars. Wondering if I will need throttle cable and brake line extensions?

Thanks in advance

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Hmmmm...I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this. Most are trying to stay as short as possible these days. Even Burandt at 6'1" uses the low bars. Sorry, I'm not answering your question, I just found it odd that someone would use such high extensions on the Axys.

B
Nov 12, 2013
I'm 6'4" and on my 14 pro had a 2" riser and still found myself hunched over more then I would like getting my back pounded out. So figure I will try a 3" on my new sled

M7SLEDHEAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Plato MN
Bar Riser

I'm 6'8" and run a 2" riser on my Axys with standard bars. Just got back from riding with Chris and talked with him about the bars and height. The short bars help keep a lower center of gravity which offers less resistance when getting the sled up on edge. Think about it like a dirt bike, nobody really puts bar risers on a dirt bike and if they do its very small amount of riser. I also think you need to find a balance with what fits each rider. I'm going to get a 1" and swap back and forth a few times this year to see what like better.

I know a 2" fits without having to make any changes to the cables. Not sure about a 3" riser. At 6'4" I would give a 2" or maybe eve the 1" a try if you have standard bars.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm 6'8" and run a 2" riser on my Axys with standard bars. Just got back from riding with Chris and talked with him about the bars and height. The short bars help keep a lower center of gravity which offers less resistance when getting the sled up on edge. Think about it like a dirt bike, nobody really puts bar risers on a dirt bike and if they do its very small amount of riser. I also think you need to find a balance with what fits each rider. I'm going to get a 1" and swap back and forth a few times this year to see what like better.

I know a 2" fits without having to make any changes to the cables. Not sure about a 3" riser. At 6'4" I would give a 2" or maybe eve the 1" a try if you have standard bars.

Yep, that was my point. If you want to get a better center of gravity then you try to stay low. If you want to stand erect (yep, I said that), then moving your bars up will do it at the cost of losing that center of gravity. I use the lowest bars the Axys came with and I slump over on the trail a little. I get the value of the bars in the trees or when playing.

B
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the info. I stole the 2" riser off of my 14 pro. Gonna give that a try and go from there. And I needed a throttle cable extension to make it work with my boondocker kit. And just changed the angle of my brake line.

mswine

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
your CG (mostly) isn't going to change with the height of the handlebars. the CG is determined by the placement of your feet on the running board. im 6-3 & with the raised running boards on the axys I never felt in an ideal position with the standard bars. I have added 2" and like the control it gives me. I think you ll need extensions to go another 2-3". imho

B
Nov 12, 2013
It all comes down to personal preference and riding style IMO. I'll give the 2" a try and go from there. Can take it out pretty easily if I feel the need

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
There are Taller bars .. Stock Pro height is Mid Axys height

Snowcheck had Low Med(stock) and high bar options

And the Boards being taller would make it feel cramped.

Burandt and others also usually have 36" front ends and narrowed+ shortened boards , so I bet they need any help they can get

Last edited:
J

Jona$

Sep 29, 2012
Sweden
Im 6.3 and wondering what riser 2,3" to go for so i dont need to go extending everything etc. I havent looked at the sled so not sure what i need for fitment.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
You will need to extend the brakeline and the throttle with anything over 2" riser.......I tend not to listen to the "pros" and put the bars where I feel I can ride the best for me. IMHO:face-icon-small-coo

C
Nov 29, 2008
just added 2" fox risers ... waiting for snow to try it out. Some of us do not have long arms so I'm using the 2" to move the bar base slightly back in order to be a bit more comfortable when standing back on the boards. bars are now about 1.5 further back and 1/2" higher but still vertical.
Didn't need extensions for the 2" riser.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
just added 2" fox risers ... waiting for snow to try it out. Some of us do not have long arms so I'm using the 2" to move the bar base slightly back in order to be a bit more comfortable when standing back on the boards. bars are now about 1.5 further back and 1/2" higher but still vertical.
Didn't need extensions for the 2" riser.

Wheelie central! Lol

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Wheelie central! Lol

Exactly!

My bars are all the way forward and I'm still over the top of them when climbing to try and keep the front end down.

I'm guessing he wont leave them like that for long. Eric

I
Nov 26, 2007
Exactly!

My bars are all the way forward and I'm still over the top of them when climbing to try and keep the front end down.

I'm guessing he wont leave them like that for long. Eric

Sounds like your skid set up could use some work.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Sounds like your skid set up could use some work.

Your right. Gonna have to start adding aftermarket parts because no matter how much I adjusted the stock stuff you just cant keep the skis on the snow with the 3" track and a SLP pipe. Maybe one of the transfer limiting kits out there. Eric

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I am 6'1" and I bought my 16 with the low bars. I felt that I needed a little more after a couple of rides so I added a 1" riser which makes it the same as the mid bars. I went with the low bar for one reason. It is a lot cheaper to add a riser than it is to buy a set of bars.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I'm 6' tall with a 6'3.5" wingspan. I don't get the short bar fad. Rode a couple sleds with them and it didn't feel that comfortable. My dad sled has the mid and they feel alight - but the stock high feels better IMO.

Premium Features